• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Question about referee and touch judges

Butterytingz

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
I have not seen a ref or touch judge in any of the screenshots so was wondering for a logical explanation to why they are not in this modern rugby ***le?

Will just end up like Fifa where they get in the way of play and theirs nothing you can do about it and 8/10 times the other team get the ball. So not at all bothered they aint in it, once your playing the game you wont notice.

You have to admit it would have been rather cool having the referee put his arm up for the length of an advantage. Fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things though.

because its not important

Couldn't disagree more. Details are what make games really good. Adding a ref, or even touch judges, to the game is that small detail that, I feel, gives it a realistic feel.

Gameplay and all that is still important but attention to detail is important as well.

Couldn't disagree more. Details are what make games really good. Adding a ref, or even touch judges, to the game is that small detail that, I feel, gives it a realistic feel.

Gameplay and all that is still important but attention to detail is important as well.

You know, you cant have it all. Gameplay is far and away the biggest factor in a game. Having a little referee running around would be quaint, but it should be right about the bottom of the priority list.

You know, you cant have it all. Gameplay is far and away the biggest factor in a game. Having a little referee running around would be quaint, but it should be right about the bottom of the priority list.

Hey, you can have it all! And then more! It be nice also if you won an online tournament or topped the leaderboards for a week if your favourite player rang you up and told you what a hero you were of his too. Or maybe your doorbell rings and in walk some cheerleaders to give you a nice rub down.

Seriously the ref is one of those things, that is a little less trivial or ridiculous than those things, but the way rugby plays, I can just imagine people using the ref in some way to run at or around whilst playing against each other as some kind of exploit.

If Rugby Challenge get away with it and it turns out wonderful, I'll say "well maybe that's something for HB to look at for the future". As it stands I'm so glad one game is doing it and one isn't, so we can see exactly how useful, annoying, or exploitable it is.

Seriously the ref is one of those things, that is a little less trivial or ridiculous than those things, but the way rugby plays, I can just imagine people using the ref in some way to run at or around whilst playing against each other as some kind of exploit.

Fair enough point. But a game that claims to be a rugby sim should include details such as a ref. I agree that game play should be a priority, as I mentioned already, but the ref is such a big part of the game one, I feel, should be included. And from what I gather it seems to be an aspect that the consumer wants.

I'm not to sure how much work is involved in adding a ref, but in the grand scale of things (making a whole game) I wouldn't see it being a big deal.

Hey, you can have it all! And then more! It be nice also if you won an online tournament or topped the leaderboards for a week if your favourite player rang you up and told you what a hero you were of his too. Or maybe your doorbell rings and in walk some cheerleaders to give you a nice rub down.

If Rugby Challenge get away with it and it turns out wonderful, I'll say "well maybe that's something for HB to look at for the future". As it stands I'm so glad one game is doing it and one isn't, so we can see exactly how useful, annoying, or exploitable it is.

Sense would prevail that you'd make the ref a non collideable model who bares no influence in game bar aesthetics. Rugby Challenge 2006 had this ridiculous feature where you could run into and tackle a ref, wonder who's bright idea that was.

Rugby Challenge 2006 had this ridiculous feature where you could run into and tackle a ref, wonder who's bright idea that was.

I won't lie, that sounds pretty epic.

Goodness. Who cares about an onscreen ref or Linesman... My gosh. If they appear on the Cutscenes. Thats good enough for me.

Some people are quite tedious..."OMG.. NO LINESMAN!!! NOOOO!!!!!"

lol simple answer here, buy both rugby ***les, RC has both!! I have a feeling RC has had the time to implement this stuff where HB has had two years to get their heads around the "new" engine they got for their game. HB = PES, RC = FIFA... quite simple logic fellas. I'll buy both myself.

I'm not to sure how much work is involved in adding a ref, but in the grand scale of things (making a whole game) I wouldn't see it being a big deal.

In game refs and touch judges are on our wishlist and have been ever since I joined the team on Rugby 06.

Three additional players onscreen wasn't going to happen in the era of PS2 when we were stretching the FIFA engine to render 30 players instead of the 22 it had to date. On PS3 and 360, that's less of a constraint.

Nevertheless, it's a big deal. It would involve a great deal of the development time for exactly the same members of the team who work on gameplay.

It's about priorities. Building a game that provides fast, flowing rugby was our focus. A feature that would come at the expense of this goal was cut. I'll be happy if you are so immersed in playing rugby, that you won't even miss them... that's our experience when playing the game.

Same holds true for cut scenes. FIFA pretty much eliminated them a couple of years back and to be honest, we share the same thinking... we don't play the game to watch the same cinematics over and over, as beautiful as they may be, we're there to create our own moments of beauty and greatness through gameplay.

In our experience, cut scenes are skipped 99% of the time... which shows how much importance players place on them once the game is in their hands.

Last edited:
Same holds true for cut scenes. FIFA pretty much eliminated them a couple of years back and to be honest, we share the same thinking... we don't play the game to watch the same cinematics over and over, as beautiful as they may be, we're there to create our own moments of beauty and greatness through gameplay.

:lol::ph34r:B)RC:box:

bish bash bosh indeed - I have to agree, I'll take reliving my moments of greatness via replay options over watching/skipping cutscenes of the same rig-ma-role that break up the gameplay.

Manual replays are in again aren't they?

Latest posts