• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

question for NZ comentators

tankerbruce

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I just watched the Hurricanes game against the Cheetahs and can't but feel our kiwi comentators don't really like the kiwi teams . At least 70% of the coments seem to prasie the cheetahs weather they were making mistakes or not . I guess they are not allow to comment on mistakes the ref makes because they work for sky and their contract most likely don;t allow it. When watching a game that has aussie or S/A comentators their coments leave you in no doubt of where their loyalties lie.
I can't help but think the negitive coments by our comentator must have some affect on the nz crowds puttng them off going to games. Its not just the Hurricanes game but most games where a NZ teams plays either a S/A or Aussie side ( I'M a highlanders fan by the way ) When the cheetahs made a mistake it was "unlucky" and scored brilliant well worked tries and the hurricane made poor choices and sloopy mistakes and scored lucky tries against the run of play. If we get so much negitive stuff from them people will beleive it
I would like to see where the refs have a bad or good game that the comentators just say it
Also what is the rules around staying on your feet around the ruck ? I have noticed a few teams seem to drive or sometimes dive over the ball creatating a tangle of players for the oppersition to try to get around .
Is it me or do other think the same ?

I just watched the Hurricanes game against the Cheetahs and can't but feel our kiwi comentators don't really like the kiwi teams . At least 70% of the coments seem to prasie the cheetahs weather they were making mistakes or not . I guess they are not allow to comment on mistakes the ref makes because they work for sky and their contract most likely don;t allow it. When watching a game that has aussie or S/A comentators their coments leave you in no doubt of where their loyalties lie.
I can't help but think the negitive coments by our comentator must have some affect on the nz crowds puttng them off going to games. Its not just the Hurricanes game but most games where a NZ teams plays either a S/A or Aussie side ( I'M a highlanders fan by the way ) When the cheetahs made a mistake it was "unlucky" and scored brilliant well worked tries and the hurricane made poor choices and sloopy mistakes and scored lucky tries against the run of play. If we get so much negitive stuff from them people will beleive it
I would like to see where the refs have a bad or good game that the comentators just say it
Also what is the rules around staying on your feet around the ruck ? I have noticed a few teams seem to drive or sometimes dive over the ball creatating a tangle of players for the oppersition to try to get around .
Is it me or do other think the same ?

If you ask lot of people they think NZ commentators are the most bias.

I personally think they do a pretty good job of seeming neutral. Tony Johnson and Grant Nisbett I think are very good in this area.

Last edited:
You'll find the Kiwi commentators like the brand of rugby played by the Cheetahs. They chuck the ball around like there is no tomorrow with great skill, enthusiasm and support play.

Kiwis like that, and they find it a better watch than the tedious "kick-chase-wait for mistake-pounce" style of rugby we have been getting served up from the Republic over the last few of years.

I personally think they do a pretty good job of seeming neutral. Tony Johnson and Grant Nisbett I think are very good in this area.

Yup, pretty much.

No, Australian Commentators just pips your guys from the top of the list by a little Cmac-nutsack hair...

what?!?!? if i had to choose the most UNBIASED commentary team it would be new zealand. australia's commentators are probably the most biased, but they can be pretty funny as well which makes up for it :p i don't even wanna talk about sa's especially warren brosnihan with his "so physical at the breakdown" and "so strong" comments which seems to be the only he can make. retard...

During the 2011 World Cup I loved getting the host broadcasters feed out of New Zealand which was mostly kiwi's(and a few token Saffas for SA and Namibia games) I thought they gave a lot of credit to the lower ranked teams and even in blowouts pointed out the players who had played well in the losing cause.

In 2007 we got the Setanta feed out of Ireland and for the most part I hated it, their intermission panels bashed the crap out of any tier two country, pre game they also predicted ridiculous scorlines(Wales beating Canada by 60-70 LOL), I think someone on the panel blamed Namibia for New Zealands exit from the RWC because France had not been sufficiently challenged by them (even though it had been 2 weeks before the QF). Thier might have been a fair bit of sour grapes that RWC from Setanat because Ireland had a poor tournament I'm sure their ratings suffered a blow and of course a couple of commentators and analysts I did like.

During the 2011 World Cup I loved getting the host broadcasters feed out of New Zealand which was mostly kiwi's(and a few token Saffas for SA and Namibia games) I thought they gave a lot of credit to the lower ranked teams and even in blowouts pointed out the players who had played well in the losing cause.

In 2007 we got the Setanta feed out of Ireland and for the most part I hated it, their intermission panels bashed the crap out of any tier two country, pre game they also predicted ridiculous scorlines(Wales beating Canada by 60-70 LOL), I think someone on the panel blamed Namibia for New Zealands exit from the RWC because France had not been sufficiently challenged by them (even though it had been 2 weeks before the QF). Thier might have been a fair bit of sour grapes that RWC from Setanat because Ireland had a poor tournament I'm sure their ratings suffered a blow and of course a couple of commentators and analysts I did like.

Do not let cmac see this loves Setanta and Matt Williams.

Tony Johnson and this guy who's nickname is "Sumo" are the most biased and worst in the SANZAR nations IMO. Grant Nisbett is pretty biased as well and often pronounces names wrong. He is very knowledgeable though but when New Zealand do something naughty you'll almost never hear him say anything but if the other team does... yea you guessed he's all over that biatch. Murray Mexted is very biased but hilarious so i actually quite like him :p Dont really have an opinion on Ian Smith, more because he's pretty bland most of the time though.

I actually think Justin Marshall is the best in NZ and one of the best in the world. Not really biased at all (often has to try and convince the other commentators that the allblacks have done something wrong!), very good knowledge of rugby and passionate as well.

Last edited:

I love Grant Fox - expert who really knows how to explain whats going on and not just say the players names. Jonathan Davies of Wales could learn a lot from Fox.

Nisbett no... Outside of the 3N he regularly makes errors in his commentary. Lacks background info on players. He´ll need to get a lot better with regards to Argentina this year.

This was the f%$k up of the century!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not let cmac see this loves Setanta and Matt Williams.

Matt Williams was actually the guy I liked on the panel. Not BSing.

And I agree with welshglory, Justin Marshall is one of the best in the buisness, especially for an ex-player who tend to be very hit and miss.

Last edited:
Tony Johnson and this guy who's nickname is "Sumo" are the most biased and worst in the SANZAR nations IMO. Grant Nisbett is pretty biased as well and often pronounces names wrong. He is very knowledgeable though but when New Zealand do something naughty you'll almost never hear him say anything but if the other team does... yea you guessed he's all over that biatch. Murray Mexted is very biased but hilarious so i actually quite like him :p Dont really have an opinion on Ian Smith, more because he's pretty bland most of the time though.

I actually think Justin Marshall is the best in NZ and one of the best in the world. Not really biased at all (often has to try and convince the other commentators that the allblacks have done something wrong!), very good knowledge of rugby and passionate as well.

Justin Marshall is one of the worst broadcasters I've ever had the mispleasure to listen to. 9/10 he is just straight wrong about what he is talking about, and talks rubbish to fill up silence. His voice is painful to listen to. Great player in his day but a shockingly bad (and my least favourite) broadcaster. Disagree that any of those commentators are especially bias to be honest.

I love Grant Fox - expert who really knows how to explain whats going on and not just say the players names. Jonathan Davies of Wales could learn a lot from Fox.
Nisbett no... Outside of the 3N he regularly makes errors in his commentary. Lacks background info on players. He´ll need to get a lot better with regards to Argentina this year.
This was the f%$k up of the century!

I remember watching that and cringing (Heymans is my favourite player from France of all time). That being said, it's not that usual a mistake from him. Overall though, I generally find Nisbett is a good commentator especially in Super Rugby games. I think he just struggles a bit with recognizing players outside the 3 nations (his biggest problem actually seems to be his eye sight).

Tony Johnson is one of the best in the world in my opinion. Very knowledgable, and I can't see why people think he's bias. As for Sumo Stevenson, he's also very good and knows quite a bit about NH rugby. The only time he seems even slightly bias is when he commentates a Highlanders match, and that's an unfortunate trait of anyone born in the region.

Last edited:
what?!?!? if i had to choose the most UNBIASED commentary team it would be new zealand. australia's commentators are probably the most biased, but they can be pretty funny as well which makes up for it :p i don't even wanna talk about sa's especially warren brosnihan with his "so physical at the breakdown" and "so strong" comments which seems to be the only he can make. retard...

I tend to find New Zealand commentators pretty bland and this is only tempered by having to listen to Mexted drone on while doing all he can to butcher the English language through nonsensical comments, pooly chosen sentences and made up words.

Scotty Stevenson is the best commentator of all time - hilarious and knowledgeable.

Tony Johnson and this guy who's nickname is "Sumo" are the most biased and worst in the SANZAR nations IMO.

What?

TJ is one of the most fair minded, unbiased, "credit where credit's due" rugby commentators anywhere. His knowledge of the players is thorough, as is his Law knowledge, and this comes through in his commentary.

Last edited:
What?

TJ is one of the most fair minded, unbiased, "credit where credit's due" rugby commentators anywhere. His knowledge of the players is thorough, as is his Law knowledge, and this comes through in his commentary.

Have to agree with Cooky here... Tony Johnson isn't biased at all, he even writes a weekly column for South African website supersport.com and if you read those columns you'll see that he gives credit where it is due and criticizes when necessary.

Sumo, is a born South African who then later went to NZ and, I must say he's not at all biased in his commentating.

The most biased guys are Rod Kafer, Phil Kearns and Warren Brosnihan

I do enjoy listening to the three Australian commentators. They seem to be having a laugh rather than completely serious.

Latest posts