• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

question for NZ comentators

What?

TJ is one of the most fair minded, unbiased, "credit where credit's due" rugby commentators anywhere. His knowledge of the players is thorough, as is his Law knowledge, and this comes through in his commentary.

Yeah I agree. It always confuses me when people say they don't like TJ because of anything other than his style of commentating.

For me I care about accuracy, knowledge and professionalism. If you have a good grasp of the english language and know the game well, then I'll like them. I'd much rather that than the Australian style commentators who could talk for 80 minutes about anything other than what's happening on the field, except for sporadic bursts of "DIGBY IOANE!!!" or commenting on what the non-Australian team is doing wrong.

TJ fits this very well (as does Sumo imho). They may not be the most funny commentators to listen to, but they know what they're talking about and can call a game as close down the line as can be expected. If I want idiots making jokes through out the match then I'll watch it with my mates down the pub.

Does no one realise how funny the S.A. commentators are? One brilliant quote "Morne Steyn of course a great running flyhalf".:roflrol:

Yeah I agree. It always confuses me when people say they don't like TJ because of anything other than his style of commentating.

For me I care about accuracy, knowledge and professionalism. If you have a good grasp of the english language and know the game well, then I'll like them. I'd much rather that than the Australian style commentators who could talk for 80 minutes about anything other than what's happening on the field, except for sporadic bursts of "DIGBY IOANE!!!" or commenting on what the non-Australian team is doing wrong.

TJ fits this very well (as does Sumo imho). They may not be the most funny commentators to listen to, but they know what they're talking about and can call a game as close down the line as can be expected. If I want idiots making jokes through out the match then I'll watch it with my mates down the pub.

Absolutely! Rugby commentators are not there to supply comic relief... if you want that, go watch "Comedy Company" or "Who's Line is it anyway?"

I want a commentator who knows about the players, the Laws and the tactics of rugby, and can keep me informed about things that are happening in the game that I might not be seeing. Tony Johnson, Grant Nisbett and Joel Stransky (on the rare occasions when he hear him these days)_. I can even tolerate Hugh Bladen when I can get past his bombastic sounding voice.

What I don't want to hear is who has invited who to the after-match barbecue at Marto's place, or what Rod Kafer is wearing in the commentary box. Not interested!

One of my pet hates are commentators that wont shut the fvck up when the referee is talking to the captain or a player, or having a discussion with his AR, or explaining a decision (are you listening Stuart Barnes, Brian Moore & Mike Harrison?)

Absolutely! Rugby commentators are not there to supply comic relief... if you want that, go watch "Comedy Company" or "Who's Line is it anyway?"

I want a commentator who knows about the players, the Laws and the tactics of rugby, and can keep me informed about things that are happening in the game that I might not be seeing. Tony Johnson, Grant Nisbett and Joel Stransky (on the rare occasions when he hear him these days)_. I can even tolerate Hugh Bladen when I can get past his bombastic sounding voice.

What I don't want to hear is who has invited who to the after-match barbecue at Marto's place, or what Rod Kafer is wearing in the commentary box. Not interested!

One of my pet hates are commentators that wont shut the fvck up when the referee is talking to the captain or a player, or having a discussion with his AR, or explaining a decision (are you listening Stuart Barnes, Brian Moore & Mike Harrison?)

Miles Harrison not Mike.

Does no one realise how funny the S.A. commentators are? One brilliant quote "Morne Steyn of course a great running flyhalf".:roflrol:

Yeah, SA commentators provide great quick-wit, dry humour that I enjoy. :)

Tony Johnson and Grant Fox are definitely not baised.

Murray Mexted is one-sided a lot of the time, and the Aussie guys are ALWAYS biased (in any sport for that matter). Very rarely do you hear them say anything good about the opposition; and even then it's usually when the other team is losing pretty bad (and the Aussie teams are pretty much sure winners) or they are trying to set them up for a commentator's curse.

You hear the Aussies and Saffas say a hell of a lot more good things about the opposition than the Kiwis.

As a Kiwi I have to say TJ sucks. Not because of how he calls the game, but how he constantly, constantly, constantly names the wrong players with the ball. It's like, I could put one hundred dollars on it every week. Tony Johnson is absolutely notorious for getting players names wrong and I've mentioned it on the forums before. But I will say, the NZ commentators are definitely not biased, you say the Aussie commentators are better? Get the hell out of here. Watch the Aus vs NZ WC SF with the Aussies commentating and you tell me they're not biased... Prime example, when Dagg made the break and took the tackle close to the sideline and managed to flick the ball back inside to Ma'a for the try,... "OOOOOHHHHHH THERE WAS A FOOT IN TOUCH THERE!!" "Yeah there sure was!" "There's no doubt about it!"... Then the replay shows another angle and it's clear Dagg wasn't out and then cue the silence!........

You hear the Aussies and Saffas say a hell of a lot more good things about the opposition than the Kiwis.

Nope, other way around. Trust me, we have more experience with them that you do!

Have to agree with Cooky here... Tony Johnson isn't biased at all, he even writes a weekly column for South African website supersport.com and if you read those columns you'll see that he gives credit where it is due and criticizes when necessary.

Sumo, is a born South African who then later went to NZ and, I must say he's not at all biased in his commentating.

The most biased guys are Rod Kafer, Phil Kearns and Warren Brosnihan

yep rod kafer is pretty biased, don't like him. i like kearnsy and greg martin they can be hilarious although martin is also pretty biased.

but the worst of 'em all by a mile is that one welsh (i think) commentator with that lil' irritating voice! he even sounds grumpy when the other team scores points.

btw have any of you guys noticed the resemblence between TJ and spongebob squarepants?

Last edited:
Well you are a Kiwi, so you would say that!
Nope. Not at all.

While I wouldn't say the kiwi commentators aren't biased at all (saving Foxy) - there is no way you could say that Aussies are less biased! It just doesn't make mathemitcal sense.

PLEASE PLEASE watch a game of international rugby league or an NRL game where AUS team vs the Warriorsl or an NBL (basketball team) where the Breakers are involved, or an A-League game where the Phoenix are involved, or any International cricket match; etc etc etc etc etcete****ing-biased-Aussie-cetera. :roll:

:D

Saffas, I wouldn't call biased for the most part. Yeah sure they want the Boks to win (as is normal) but they don't go out of their way like the Aussies do.

Nope. Not at all.

While I wouldn't say the kiwi commentators aren't biased at all (saving Foxy) - there is no way you could say that Aussies are less biased! It just doesn't make mathemitcal sense.

PLEASE PLEASE watch a game of international rugby league or an NRL game where AUS team vs the Warriorsl or an NBL (basketball team) where the Breakers are involved, or an A-League game where the Phoenix are involved, or any International cricket match; etc etc etc etc etcete****ing-biased-Aussie-cetera. :roll:

:D

Saffas, I wouldn't call biased for the most part. Yeah sure they want the Boks to win (as is normal) but they don't go out of their way like the Aussies do.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. Obviously being a South African I'm biased, but I honestly believe our commentators are quite fair and unbiased. I find it amusing anyone here can say the Kiwis are more biased than the Aussies, who in my mind are by far the most biased, single minded commentators in world rugby. Kearns, Martin, Kafer, the lot of them. They commentate as if they are broadcasting the game from a sofa in their lounge. I don't really think the N.Z commentators are biased to be honest, but in Justin Marhshall's case, just freaking stupid. I actually like Grant Fox, and can bare TJ and Sumo. But please for the love of god keep Murray, Marshall and Grant Nisbett (not that bad tbf)away from the mic.

I'm a Hugh Bladen fan myself, just like his commentary.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. Obviously being a South African I'm biased, but I honestly believe our commentators are quite fair and unbiased. I find it amusing anyone here can say the Kiwis are more biased than the Aussies, who in my mind are by far the most biased, single minded commentators in world rugby. Kearns, Martin, Kafer, the lot of them. They commentate as if they are broadcasting the game from a sofa in their lounge. I don't really think the N.Z commentators are biased to be honest, but in Justin Marhshall's case, just freaking stupid. I actually like Grant Fox, and can bare TJ and Sumo. But please for the love of god keep Murray, Marshall and Grant Nisbett (not that bad tbf)away from the mic.

I'm a Hugh Bladen fan myself, just like his commentary.

Bingo.

If I had to pick New Zealand's best commentators it would be (in order) Tony Johnson, Scotty Stevenson, Grant Nisbett, John Preston, Grant Fox..........Willie Lose, Ian Jones, Aaron Mager , Ian Smith, Murray Mexted, Justin Marshall, Karl Te Nana.

I haven't heard Aaron Mauger - did he do some in the ITM cup last year?

I haven't heard Aaron Mauger - did he do some in the ITM cup last year?

He was also the sideline reporter last weekend between the Hurricanes vs Cheetahs... He wasn't bad at all as it was the first time I heard him talking... Always liked him as a player.

Bingo.

If I had to pick New Zealand's best commentators it would be (in order) Tony Johnson, Scotty Stevenson, Grant Nisbett, John Preston, Grant Fox..........Willie Lose, Ian Jones, Aaron Mager , Ian Smith, Murray Mexted, Justin Marshall, Karl Te Nana.
Lol the guy is a joke.

Where'd you rate Steve Devine? :p

Lol the guy is a joke.

Where'd you rate Steve Devine? :p

Haha, probably behind Aaron Mauger, but in front of Ian Smith, cause he's never called Thierry Dusatoir 'Thierry Henry', while giving out a Player of the Match award in a RWC final.

Latest posts