• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Questions on Boot/cleat selection in Canada - Southern Ontario. Prop.

tbh

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
Hello everyone,

I have been playing rugby for 12 years now mainly at loose or tight prop - however, the most difficult challenge I have faced in the rugby world is selecting the correct boot...

On the surface, this doesn't seem like a very difficult task. However, the "surface" or field is typically what makes things difficult where I play. The majority of the fields have a firm to hard surface, and I always found I was sacrificing comfort for power when selecting a cleat.

Other factors such as wide and flat feet, large stature, and skin that calluses very easily have made it difficult in selecting a cleat that combines power AND comfort (durability would be nice too!)

If anyone has any information to add that would help in future selection of boots, it would be much appreciated. I have tried to give as much information below on what I have tried so far.

Brief summary of size:
-flat feet
-wide feet
-6'2
-145kg
-size 12 (USA)

Brief summary of cleats and issues:

Rugby cleats:
-issues with studs poking through, or breaking through inside of cleat (causing big PAINFUL calluses on bottom of feet)
-not being wide enough so having to wear longer/not proper fit of cleat
-heal blisters (only one cleat has done this to me so far - http://images.sportsshoes.com/product/A/ADI3336/ADI3336_400_1.jpg)
-low mobility
-tearing apart easy

Soccer Cleats:
I actually find these the most durable so far and most comfortable. They are also easier to move around in, conserving energy, but my assumption is that these are not the best for power or grip?
Ones I have tried so far:
http://cdn3.volusion.com/goz35.avhz4/v/vspfiles/photos/SM-PU102511-04-2.jpg?1381832849 matching this stud pattern.
http://cdn3.volusion.com/goz35.avhz4/v/vspfiles/photos/SM-AD015110-1.jpg?1381832849 this cleat. Wore a 11.5, probably could have gone to an 11 here.

The above selections I find are most comfortable, but I am not sure that they are also great for durability or stability. I have rolled my ankles a few times using these cleats above...

I have completed some preliminary searches, and came across some selections but lack knowledge to know what is best.
http://www.rugbyboots.net/props.html - i am partial to the puma's on this page based on the stud displacement and the fact they recommend for hard surfaces. (puma evoPOWER)

To summarize, as any larger member of society hopes for - when it comes to my cleat, I want to have my cake and eat it too~... Is there a cleat suggestion out there that has it all? (comfort, durability, power, mobility and stability)

Thank you,

TBH.

I'm in Minnesota, so my pitch conditions are similar to yours. I've spent 20 years playing in the front row and probably 10 of them searching for a good all-purpose boot. I gave up because they don't exist. You need a set of molded cleats for hard ground conditions in the summer/fall and a pair of screw ins for the wet spring season and in the fall when it can be muddy. It also helps to have two sets of cleats (a short set and a long set) for your boots with removable cleats.

Keep it all in your kit bag so you can choose the proper set when you get to the pitch and see the conditions.

Southern Ontario? You don't play for Thunder Bay, do you? If so, we've probably scrummed down against each other.

Thanks Ihprop1, really sounds like you nailed it with the weather! Appreciate the feedback, this was the answer I was hoping I would not get to be honest... was hoping to see if another solution existed rather than 2 different sets of cleats.

In your experience, what have you found works best for each molded cleats and for screw-ins?

And do not play for Thunderbay - our league is closer to Toronto area... maybe one day ;)!

I know exactly what you mean with our ground here... mid summer it gets pretty hard, lots of cleats poking through etc. Unfortunately I haven't found the solution yet. (I play lock). So far my Mizuno's have held up for two years, but the sides are going to blow out this year. And the Adidas I tried on last year are the most uncomfortable thing I've ever put on my feet.

Tbh where are you playing?

Just PS. Thunder Bay is definitely not southern :p

Have you tried Assics , with mixture of cleats and moulds plus simmilar cushioning/ arch support to their running shoes with slight heel elavation. Really comfortable if a bit pricey

In my experience, there's nothing available in the North American market that's going to really stand the test of time if you're playing in the tight 5. You just have to accept the fact that you're going to have to buy new boots every few years.

I've worn the Canterbury Flankers and they seem to last about 3-4 years. My molded cleats are some Nike soccer jobs. I hate buying the molded cleats because I have to go to a soccer store and I hate being surrounded by those dorks and I hate even more to be mistaken for one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Just PS. Thunder Bay is definitely not southern :p

It's certainly not northern Ontario, either.

Not to be picky, just educational, but it definitely is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ontario

Anyway, back on topic. Do many tight 5 guys on here use molded cleats? I've always gone studs as a second row, molded ones just don't seem like they'd be enough.

Studs on hard summer ground are no good for me. On the pitches where we play, they don't offer any traction and always eventually poke through the sole.

Latest posts