• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Quinlan banned 12 weeks

A

An Tarbh

No surprises really that the Munster back rower has been cited, he'll get the book thrown at him but the length of the ban is irrelevant, what matters for Quinlan is that he'll now miss the Lions tour.

Doesn't say when the hearing will take place on the ERC website.

No one to blame but himself. Shame really, his selection was deserved.

Thankfully there is plenty of depth when it comes to blindside, Tom Croft is frontrunner at the moment and no doubt Sky will make sure he is picked.

Its funny. Listening to the press and pundits over here I've never seen them so defensive relating to an incident like this. "Quinlan is a tough but fair competitor", "He's not a nasty player", "These things sometimes look worse on TV" etc. From both sides of the Munster Leinster divide everyone seems to be talking it down.

There is an element of truth in it as he did not make contact with the eyeball, but that will and should make no difference to the overall result. He'll miss the Lions tour as a result of one too many moments of stupidity, in a career littered with cynical actions similar to it.

Could make the HEC final an interesting event now with Croft playing for his place and Jennings looking to build on the last two massive performances. I dont see Leamy at the races at all now as a replacement so it looks like Crofts to give away.

Definitely, theres now a place for grabs and the likes of Crane, Croft and Jennings will definitely be on the hunt for that lions place!

Croft will definitely be thinking that its:
Lesnarraep.jpg

I'm loving this revisionist history claiming Quinlan isn't a dirty player and never has been. How often has he been cited for various offenses at this stage? There was this time:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/548.php

Munster flanker Alan Quinlan found little festive cheer in the ERC offices this afternoon when he was handed a six week suspension for a stamping incident in the game against Cardiff Blues last weekend. Quinlan was accompanied to the hearing by Munster Chief Executive Garrett Fitzgerald and Jim O'Callaghan (BL) acting for Quinlan. Following nearly three hours of deliberation the citing was upheld and the following statement issued.

"Alan Quinlan, the Munster back row forward, appeared before an independent Disciplinary Committee in Dublin today (Wednesday, 20 December), as a result of a citing arising from the Round 4 Heineken Cup Pool 4 match against Cardiff Blues at Thomond Park on Saturday, 16 December, 2006.

The citing lodged by the Citing Commissioner for the match, Alan Mansell (England), was for alleged stamping - contravention of Law 10.4 (B).

The independent Disciplinary Committee was chaired by Christopher Quinlan (England) and also comprised Bruce Reece-Russel (England) and Iain Goodall (Scotland).

Following an admission of guilt by the player, the Committee upheld the citing for stamping and determined the appropriate period of suspension as being a period of six (6) weeks to run from today (Wednesday, 20 December) up to and including 30 January, 2007.

Both parties were advised of their right to appeal."

What exactly Cardiff Blues might have to appeal is not clear but it is believed that Munster will appeal the severity of the suspension[/b]

and this time:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...6700697036.html

THE AVAILABILITY of Alan Quinlan for Saturday's vital Test match against Argentina at Croke Park is in doubt after the Munster flanker was cited yesterday for stamping on Rodney So'oialo in the 22-3 defeat to New Zealand.[/b]

and now his alleged gouging sees him cited again. Quinlan is a dirty player. The only shame is that he's a talented player but he's ****** a lot of his ability away due to ill discipline. It's his own fault that he's only won 27 caps.

You should not be worried about Quinlan. The ERC was quite inconsistent in the past, Munster and Leinster will play this down and should get a light banning which can be appealed, the appeal being reviewed in September...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ May 4 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You should not be worried about Quinlan. The ERC was quite inconsistent in the past, Munster and Leinster will play this down and should get a light banning which can be appealed, the appeal being reviewed in September...[/b]

He does have it in his favour that he's Irish and given the previous leniency shown to Irish players, Flannery and Sheehan certainly spring to mind then it may not be the lost cause that it looks like.

lol possibly but the way Sky will continue to promote the evil nature of the incident will surely give Croft the slot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ May 4 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
lol possibly but the way Sky will continue to promote the evil nature of the incident will surely give Croft the slot.[/b]

sure they paid no attention to Sky when Flannery was being villified from pillar to post so no reason why they'll pay them any heed this time round either, the ERC that is.

The disciplinary hearing relating to eye-gouging allegations against Alan Quinlan is to be heard on Wednesday.

A three-person disciplinary panel will sit in Dublin to deal with the case against Quinlan who could miss the Lions tour if found guilty.

Munster flanker Quinlan is accused of eye-gouging Leinster's Leo Cullen and faces a minimum 12-week suspension.

Recent similar cases have seen Neil Best banned for 18 weeks and Dylan Hartley suspended for six months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8031505.stm

When you look at the video replay it is pretty blatant, even when zoomed out so you can see where his arm is going. No attempt to yank or pull at anything, just a grab for the face and then..insert finger ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 4 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Thankfully there is plenty of depth when it comes to blindside, Tom Croft is frontrunner at the moment and no doubt Sky will make sure he is picked.[/b]
Couldn't agree more!... Remember Clermont flanker Alex Audebert's outrageous 8 weeks' ban for undeliberately stamping O'Gara two years ago during the HCup?... We need some justice in the world of rugby and, to be honest with you, I'm not sure the ERC is the best guarantee for it... :angry: I must say I'm pretty surprised Quinlan has been punished at all in spite of the overwhelming images... Yes, I'm being ironic!...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASM70 @ May 12 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 4 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankfully there is plenty of depth when it comes to blindside, Tom Croft is frontrunner at the moment and no doubt Sky will make sure he is picked.[/b]
Couldn't agree more!... Remember Clermont flanker Alex Audebert's outrageous 8 weeks' ban for undeliberately stamping O'Gara two years ago during the HCup?... We need some justice in the world of rugby and, to be honest with you, I'm not sure the ERC is the best guarantee for it... :angry: I must say I'm pretty surprised Quinlan has been punished at all in spite of the overwhelming images... Yes, I'm being ironic!...
[/b][/quote]

well there's never been an issue with them being cited it's the hearing where's there's a problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ May 4 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You should not be worried about Quinlan. The ERC was quite inconsistent in the past, Munster and Leinster will play this down and should get a light banning which can be appealed, the appeal being reviewed in September...[/b]

I will be disgusted if he only gets a light ban, because the simple fact is, if you put your finger in someone's eye. then you should be severly punished - Lion or no Lion, they should all be treated the same.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ May 5 2009, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and this time:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/...6700697036.html

THE AVAILABILITY of Alan Quinlan for Saturday's vital Test match against Argentina at Croke Park is in doubt after the Munster flanker was cited yesterday for stamping on Rodney So'oialo in the 22-3 defeat to New Zealand.[/b]
[/b][/quote]
What's wrong with stamping on Rodney So'oialo?

Just cleaning the studs.

If memory serves that was one of the most ridiculous citings for a long time, the referee actually gave a penalty against So'oialo and told Quinlan that in future the he would take care off cheating All Blacks and that Quinny should keep his feet to himself. Then of course Graham started complaining...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ May 12 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ May 4 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will be disgusted if he only gets a light ban, because the simple fact is, if you put your finger in someone's eye. then you should be severly punished - Lion or no Lion, they should all be treated the same.
[/b][/quote]
Only true if you are French or play for a French club... :rolleyes:
Here, to be honest, Quinlan hasn't quite come close to actually gauging Cullen's eyes, but he deserves a severe ban all the same, if only to set the example... Now, I bet all I have (not much!) he's gonna get away with a mere apology...

is that not just the minimum ban recommended though?

Guess those with a hardon for Croft will be pleased now