• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

'Quins hope to emulate Stade Francais with "BIG GAME"

P

Prestwick

http://www.guinnesspremiership.com/84_24591.php

Looks like Harlequin's are wanting to replicate the hugely successful and record breaking (or, if you're like AK47 and haven't a clue about NH Club Rugby, rubbish and a one off) games done by Stade Francais for the last few years at the Stade de France.

In fact, they've hired the help of maverick Stade Francais owner, Max Guazzini to help get those punters in, helped no doubt by the Twickenham Local Authority who have set the limit at the stadium to 50,000 for the game they wish to play (Harlequins vs Leicester Tigers). Ticket prices have been slashed to £10 and an aggressive marketing effort in the London area will no doubt be underway soon to get the stadium filled. However, they'll be hoping and praying that Leicester Tigers join in and help get out their fans (who probably outnumber Harlequins fans a good two to one).

I hope this works as I think its a great idea, especially to boost crowd figures and beat the Football Championship.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Aug 27 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Looks like Harlequin's are wanting to replicate the hugely successful and record breaking (or, if you're like AK47 and haven't a clue about NH Club Rugby, rubbish and a one off) games done by Stade Francais for the last few years at the Stade de France.

In fact, they've hired the help of maverick Stade Francais owner, Max Guazzini to help get those punters in, helped no doubt by the Twickenham Local Authority who have set the limit at the stadium to 50,000 for the game they wish to play (Harlequins vs Leicester Tigers). Ticket prices have been slashed to £10 and an aggressive marketing effort in the London area will no doubt be underway soon to get the stadium filled. However, they'll be hoping and praying that Leicester Tigers join in and help get out their fans (who probably outnumber Harlequins fans a good two to one).

I hope this works as I think its a great idea, especially to boost crowd figures and beat the Football Championship.[/b]

seems like a cunning plan. Has Vicarage Road's expansion finished yet?

Maybe flying the Quins fans over from Australia would be worth it :eek: Hell, I know so many people that love them just because of their jersey...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Aug 28 2008, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Aug 27 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope this works as I think its a great idea, especially to boost crowd figures and beat the Football Championship.[/b]

seems like a cunning plan. Has Vicarage Road's expansion finished yet?
[/b][/quote]

LOL, no, its stalled because Watford FC are in dire financial trouble right now. At this rate, they'll probably sell the stadium to Nigel Wray and Saracens in order to make ends meet!

Cardiff are doing the same type of thing, they're playing a home Heinken Pool game against Gloucester in the Millenium Stadium. They've done it before with matches against Leinster at the end of the 05/06 Season (and broke the Magners attendance record or something) and Leicester Tigers in the 06/07 Heineken Cup Pool Stage (and broke the Welsh Heineken Cup attendance record I think). Only problem I have with it is that they could be throwing away home advantage in a massive game for the sake of bringing in extra cash... They don't have a brilliant record in the stadium, (they lost to Leicester and were hammered there by the Ospreys in an EDF Semi match the season before last) so I just hope they can get get a decent win out of it.

Probably will be good for the Harlequins, brings in a bit of extra cash and exposes their players to teh big stage at Twickenham.

We play at Twickenham once a year as it is, although the Double Header is becoming a dour, stale affair with most fans wanting to kick the season off at the Stoop. I'm stting on the fence regarding the Leicester tie as we'll potentially be giving up home advantage should enough Tigers fans travel down and sitting in a half empty HQ is like attending a funeral (see the Double Header, again). The Stoop would be absolutely rocking for this tie so they're going to need to ensure that atmosphere isn't lost by moving over the road.

Three weeks prior to this game we're taking on Stade at the Stade de France, which is looking to be an 80,000 sell out. A great experience which will probably provide a few handy pointers for our own version.

For the time being Stade Français have decided to organize 4 games at the Stade de France this year, 3 of them are Top14 regular matchs and so this match versus the Harlequins. If they host HCup Quarter and possibly Semi they may play again in Stade de France or at least in Parc des Princes (50000 seats). So far they have always sold out these games. There are always cheap tickets but with the popularity increase the ratio of cheap tickets is slowly decreasing.

That's good for Rugby if the Harlequins manage to achieve similar objectives in London.

Latest posts