• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Quins stunned by fake injury fine

Have to agree that it's a bit harsh. Even with half suspended.

A warning and a small fine would have been plenty. 20k or something and then the big fine if they did it again.

Perhaps the ERC are a bit short on funds themselves?

The whole disciplie procedure once again demonstrates, "it's not what you did, but who you are and who your friends are".

I really hope that Quins appeal and the ban is over-turned and given to someone else, or Quins are fined more. There's no way that it's his fault. He was clearly recieving instructions from the bench, from people who pay his wages. He's hardly going to ignore what they say.

Read this off another website, and sums it up exactly for me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
So Williams planned the whole thing, whacked himself in the mouth, and winked at himself as no one else knew anything to deserve being winked at?[/b]

Dear god, I didn't see the ban on first reading and it's absolutely ludicrous considering that Shalk Burger got a 8 week ban for sticking his finger in someones eye!

12 months for sticking a finger in his own eye (so to speak).

TRF should write an offical letter of annoyance!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jul 20 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dear god, I didn't see the ban on first reading and it's absolutely ludicrous considering that Shalk Burger got a 8 week ban for sticking his finger in someones eye!

12 months for sticking a finger in his own eye (so to speak).

TRF should write an offical letter of annoyance![/b]

I'd be happy to write it - i think i'm at the peak of annoyance right now :p

Yeh, I missed the ban thing also.

That is one of the most ridiculous things that's ever happened.

With the way things turned out, it doesn't actually matter that Evans came back onto the pitch. However had Quins gone onto win the fixture, no doubt that all the <strike>former Munster supporting glory hunters</strike> 'lifelong Leinster fans' would have kicked up such a fuss about it that we'd still not be hearing the end of it.

Nigel Owens should be made to carry some of the can however. He could have stopped Evans coming on and did nothing during the change, instead welcoming him back onto the pitch with the same eyes he shines towards Lee Byrne at bedtime.

I never saw the game because I don't really watch Heineken just highlights but how do you fake blood coming from the mouth? I think it's pretty harsh but if anybody fakes injury yeah I think they deserve whatevers coming to them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Jul 21 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I never saw the game because I don't really watch Heineken just highlights but how do you fake blood coming from the mouth? I think it's pretty harsh but if anybody fakes injury yeah I think they deserve whatevers coming to them.[/b]

Apparently he was handed a blood capsule by one of the coaches/doctors, which is what really ****** me off because it clearly wasn't his idea, he was just acting on orders. Just because the RFU couldn't find the main culprit they take away a year of a promising young winger's career to 'make an example' of him.

<div align='center'>
facepalm.jpg
</div>

At least it sends out a message that if you cheat you're going to be dealt with severely.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jul 21 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At least it sends out a message that if you cheat you're going to be dealt with severely.[/b]

Unless you're an England regular or play for for Wasps/are friends with Jeff Blackett.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 21 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jul 21 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least it sends out a message that if you cheat you're going to be dealt with severely.[/b]

Unless you're an England regular or play for for Wasps/are friends with Jeff Blackett.
[/b][/quote]

Excuse me for my ignorance, but Jeff Blackett is who exactly?

A former Wasps prop and now top judge used as the RFU disciplinary officer, who bans everyone for long periods of time for minor infringements - except those who are his friend, ex-wasps and RFU 'elite' playing squad members who oddly get short bans... James Haskell - 1 week and a major bollocking to the ref for 'deliberate gouging', Neil Best - '18 weeks for accidental contact with the eye area'.

He's also the guy who banned Williams for 12 months, but said nothing to Richards who, ever-so conveniently, looks like a shoe-in as the next England Coach. Spooky that!

Oh, and he also thought that only 8 months for Harrison was just about the right length of time.

Probyn is just as bad.

Personally I dont think any of that was enough. To penalise the player and let the coach, physio and club pretty much off the hook is just feckin daft. The only explanation I can think of for the Players heavy penalty was that he fell on his sword. He refused to rat out the club, coach and physio and so the disciplinary committee threw the book at him knowing he was doing it. If the club are that concerned thay can start being honest, but they wont of course. They probably wont appeal it either as they know they lucked a result.

Indicently, for those that think it was harsh, imagine if Evans did nail a drop kick after being allowed as a result of this cheat. The Leinster doctor was refused access to examine the injury as it happened (meant to be allowed) so Leinster were instantly suspicious. Either way Leinster would still be here appealing the result having been cheated out of a win. A different name would have been on the trophy (probably Munster) and the competition would have been thrown up in the air.

It seems harsh until you look at what it could have caused. I'm pretty disgusted that they got away with it, and the player who was just told to "bite down" has been thrown to the dogs.

Sucks to be Williams. Got such a hefty ban for probably obeying the coach's orders!

wasn't it a $500,000 fine? That is like a top paying MVP player contract isn't it? I am sure that is money they could have really used for better things. While I think it was harsh, it seemed pretty obvious to me that they were up to something, I mean walking to bench for blood bin during a crucial time of the match is one thing, but don't frecking wink while going off.

Harsh but I can see why they would do it, especially if blood capsils found there way into the game, it could ruin it, I think it is safe their won't be many reaccurences.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jul 21 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
wasn't it a $500,000 fine? That is like a top paying MVP player contract isn't it? I am sure that is money they could have really used for better things. While I think it was harsh, it seemed pretty obvious to me that they were up to something, I mean walking to bench for blood bin during a crucial time of the match is one thing, but don't frecking wink while going off.

Harsh but I can see why they would do it, especially if blood capsils found there way into the game, it could ruin it, I think it is safe their won't be many reaccurences.[/b]

Nah 250,000 euros (£215,000) fine

Didn't realise someone gave him a capsule. First off than whoever gave him the capsule should be sacked or he should be made to give the player some $$$ for putting him in such a compromising situation. If it was a something they just come up with at the time than just sack the coach or whoever it was but if they planned to do it get all the ********. There's no room for cheating regardless if it's minor or major it's still cheating.

What I understood is he was really bleeding, but he was not injured at all and could have just washed the blood with some water. Very harsh on the player, really a scapegoat here. How can the commission be so stupid as to think he decided it by himself? He obviously followed orders.
Also, 12 months? WTF? So that's 365 days. Burger, for sticking his fingers in another player's eyes gets 14 days. Is it really 25 times worse? Hope the kids in rugby school leaned the lesson : if you cheat, make it violent and obvious, and please, do it ON THE FIELD, in front of the cameras! Because rugby is a physical game you know...

:wacko:

I think Schalk Burger is like that banana when he learns about that story :bana:

Latest posts