TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Gareth-Krause-Aironi-rugby-ML_2579705.jpg

Italian club Aironi's South African flank Gareth Krause announced his retirement from rugby at the end of the season.

After scoring a try in Aironi's historic first win in Magners League, Krause has decided to hang up his boots as his future prospects in Italy are uncertain.

"The indecision of the Italian Federation about the rules on the use of foreigner players bring me to take this decision that I think to be the best one for me in this moment," said the former Griquas and Cheetahs and Springboks Sevens player.

Krause will end his career playing for Aironi against Ospreys in the last Magners League regular season match.

Aironi's Director of Rugby Franco Tonnil left the door open to the South African.

"In Viadana Gareth confirmed that he is great player," said Tonnil.

"Probably he is one of the best foreigner players arrived to Italy in the last five years. The door will stay open for Gareth: if rules change or if Aironi will need help during the season, he could be back in Viadana. Meanwhile, we just can thank him for his behaviour on and off the pitch".

http://www.planet-rugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,3825_6842526,00.html

adding something

a few days ago Aironi managment explicitly stated that all the actual foreign players will be out-of-contract at the end of this season, all of them except Nick Williams and Gareth Krause: so, even though rules on the use of foreigner players will be restricted for the two italian sides (which will happen for sure), I guess Gareth could be reasonably sure to get into the squad

in fact, he has a firm actually running in South Africa and will get married downunder next june, so I think his decision has been taken mainly on a personal basis

adding something

a few days ago Aironi managment explicitly stated that all the actual foreign players will be out-of-contract at the end of this season, all of them except Nick Williams and Gareth Krause: so, even though rules on the use of foreigner players will be restricted for the two italian sides (which will happen for sure), I guess Gareth could be reasonably sure to get into the squad

in fact, he has a firm actually running in South Africa and will get married downunder next june, so I think his decision has been taken mainly on a personal basis

So what happened to the Bosman and Kolpak Rulings of the European Court?

[textarea]The Bosman ruling is a 1995 European Court of Justice decision concerning freedom of movement for workers, freedom of association, and direct effect of article 39 of the EC Treaty. The case banned restrictions of foreign EU members within the national leagues and allowed professional football players in the European Union to move freely to another club at the end of their term of contract with their present team.[/textarea]

[textarea]The Kolpak ruling is a European Court of Justice ruling handed down on May 8, 2003 in favour of Maroš Kolpak, a Slovak handball player. It declared that citizens of certain countries which have signed agreements with the European Union, have the same right to freedom of work and movement within the EU as EU citizens. Thus any restrictions placed on their right to work (such as quotas setting maximum numbers of such foreign players in sports teams) are deemed illegal under EU law.[/textarea]

[textarea]The Bosman ruling is a 1995 European Court of Justice decision concerning freedom of movement for workers, freedom of association, and direct effect of article 39 of the EC Treaty. The case banned restrictions of foreign EU members within the national leagues and allowed professional football players in the European Union to move freely to another club at the end of their term of contract with their present team.[/textarea]

[textarea]The Kolpak ruling is a European Court of Justice ruling handed down on May 8, 2003 in favour of Maroš Kolpak, a Slovak handball player. It declared that citizens of certain countries which have signed agreements with the European Union, have the same right to freedom of work and movement within the EU as EU citizens. Thus any restrictions placed on their right to work (such as quotas setting maximum numbers of such foreign players in sports teams) are deemed illegal under EU law.[/textarea]

Yeah, South Africa isn't in the EU and haven't 'signed agreements with the European Union'.

They can't do anything about French or English players but they can do what they golly well want in restrictions on SH players.

I am aware of Bosman and Kolpak rules

actually, in every european league have been settled rules which limit the number of foreign players that any club can use on the pitch or that can be included in the 22 players on the game list

that's not considered a "restriction of the right to work": any club can have an unlimited number of foreign players in the squad, but only a few of them (5 in the Celtic League, if I'm correct...) can play in the same game

OK.

I understood this Bosman/Kolpak situation to apply to anyone working in the EU

They're easy enough to get around anyway. That's what the RFU are doing after RWC; effectively, if you want to be selected for England, you must play in the Premiership

Yeah, South Africa isn't in the EU and haven't 'signed agreements with the European Union'.

They can't do anything about French or English players but they can do what they golly well want in restrictions on SH players.

But then how does that apply in the English country cricket then? When the likes of Andre Nel, Faf Du Plessis and Jaq Rudolph all played under the kolpak ruling?

But then how does that apply in the English country cricket then? When the likes of Andre Nel, Faf Du Plessis and Jaq Rudolph all played under the kolpak ruling?
Southafrica is a "Kolpak country"

there are several applicable Association Agrrements between EU and third countries, amongst which the so called "Cotonou Agrrement" (former Lomè Agreement), involving the ACP countries (Africa, Caribbean, Pacific), currently 79: 48 African, 16 Caribbean and 15 Pacific

these countries include Southafrica, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji: players from these countries are allowed to play in european clubs as if they were from inside EU, included players such as Umaga, S.B. Williams, Kefu, who, despite being NZ or OZ national players, also have a samoan or tongan passport

argentinians are excluded: that's why many of them try to qualify through their european heritage, mainly italian but not only (Lozada has a belgian passport), this way helping the italian poaching of argentinian players

a few years ago Felipe Contepomi tried to gather evidence of his italian heritage to get an italian passport but he couldn't: that's why in Toulon players like Lovobalavu, Van Niekerk, Kubriashvili or Umaga can (could) play as "european", whilst Ferdandez-Lobbe, Contepomi and Henjak have to fight for the 2 non UE spots allowed in the european cup

Southafrica is a "Kolpak country"

there are several applicable Association Agrrements between EU and third countries, amongst which the so called "Cotonou Agrrement" (former Lomè Agreement), involving the ACP countries (Africa, Caribbean, Pacific), currently 79: 48 African, 16 Caribbean and 15 Pacific

these countries include Southafrica, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji: players from these countries are allowed to play in european clubs as if they were from inside EU, included players such as Umaga, S.B. Williams, Kefu, who, despite being NZ or OZ national players, also have a samoan or tongan passport

argentinians are excluded: that's why many of them try to qualify through their european heritage, mainly italian but not only (Lozada has a belgian passport), this way helping the italian poaching of argentinian players

a few years ago Felipe Contepomi tried to gather evidence of his italian heritage to get an italian passport but he couldn't: that's why in Toulon players like Lovobalavu, Van Niekerk, Kubriashvili or Umaga can (could) play as "european", whilst Ferdandez-Lobbe, Contepomi and Henjak have to fight for the 2 non UE spots allowed in the european cup

Understand that, should have made my point clearer to the person I was addressing.

one more example: Merthens decided to pursue a South African passport (he was born in Durban) when he signed with Harlequins in 2005 enabling the club to sign another non-EU and non-Kolpak player

Understand that, should have made my point clearer to the person I was addressing.

Here I am!

Question answered by yer man before me. Safferca is a Koplak country!

And was it yerself that made the distinction between squads and teams and hula hoops and that skangalang.

So everybody's happy.

Except the guy who has to retire.

Side point. Is the five foriegners in a squad an actual Magners League rule? I thought it was just internal rules set by the the various rugby unions...

Latest posts