• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro 12 Final - Leinster vs Ospreys - 27/05/2012

Agreed, really ruined the last 10 minutes with that yellow. I suspect that Ospreys would have scored a try off that scrum and made the finish even better.

The whole farce with the scrummaging at the end of the first half really was shocking. I really am getting fed up on the men in the middle taken my time up talking about them.

The whole farce with the scrummaging at the end of the first half really was shocking. I really am getting fed up on the men in the middle taken my time up talking about them.

I'd probably agree with you on this if I had been watching on T.V but I was right in front of this at the match and the crowd was really getting behind the team and it was one of the best parts of the match for me.

Not a great performance from Poite at all. Thought Ospreys should have had a penalty try at the end of the first half, White shouldn't have been binned and there was a key forward pass in the run up to Williams' game winning try. He made plenty of mistakes but they balanced each other out!

Just want to know from both sets what did they make of our good pal Poite today?

This is how I saw it.

For Ospreys fans to moan about:
- Missed what I consider a blatant yellow in the first half, after the Bishop break. It was a clear try scoring opportunity off turnover ball, and Leinster committed two penalties to prevent the ball going out to the backs after Webb was hauled down short.
- The farce with the scrum at the end of the first half.
- A few penalty decisions when I thought the O's had right to the ball (that's more contentious though)
- I thought Leinster players were allowed to get back to their feet after being properly tackled a few times, especially at the beginning of the game.
- His lack of communication to Fotoali'i regarding if time was up. Didn't appear to give an answer, despite it being obvious what Fotoali'i was asking.

For Leinster to feel aggrieved over:
- Second yellow card. I saw no reason why just a penalty wasn't suffice there, after the Leinster scrum had improved in the second half.
- I thought the O's defense was offside on a few occasions (this was true for both sides though)

For both teams to complain about:
- Didn't really referee the offside line that well. Both sets of forwards were a little quick off the mark.
- The breakdown was barely refereed at all. It turned into a big free for all on occasions, which simply put players at risk of injury due to opposition players flying in trying to release the ball. The one on near Leinsters line on the near touchline comes to mind here.

Overall, rubbish really.

Just simply because we have always had a problem with him here in Munster and we always seem to get him but today he showed he is an awful ref and in my opinion should never have been given this game. If an Irish or Welsh ref was deemed unsuitable then fine a ref from England should've been drafted in because at least the English ref's see the game in a more similar way but the refs in France see things differently and well this added with Poite being a joke anyway made it frustrating at times

Not a great performance from Poite at all. Thought Ospreys should have had a penalty try at the end of the first half, White shouldn't have been binned and there was a key forward pass in the run up to Williams' game winning try. He made plenty of mistakes but they balanced each other out!
Agree errors balanced out and on Whites sinbin (which was a turning point) I'm no scrum expert but it seemed the O's prop took White down and possibly the pen should've been opposite way

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great send-off for Shane Williams. I'd say dan biggar should start for Wales. Him and preistland are both quite average outhalves but biggar is on better form.
The scrums went on too long at the end of the second half but it was the right decision not to give the penalty try. Jack McGrath did well against Adam jones and in the end it was jones who had to cheat and was penalised for it.

Just simply because we have always had a problem with him here in Munster and we always seem to get him but today he showed he is an awful ref and in my opinion should never have been given this game. If an Irish or Welsh ref was deemed unsuitable then fine a ref from England should've been drafted in because at least the English ref's see the game in a more similar way but the refs in France see things differently and well this added with Poite being a joke anyway made it frustrating at times

Agree errors balanced out and on Whites sinbin (which was a turning point) I'm no scrum expert but it seemed the O's prop took White down and possibly the pen should've been opposite way

Thats just a load of rubbish, yes yesterday he had a very poor game, but as duck said he is generally a very good ref and in fact I would say he has been the most improved referee in the past year. There is no reason why he should not have got this game appart from it would have been nice to have had someone from the pro direct league teams. Just look at the H-Cup final, he had a very good game and certainty showed he can ref the big games. The only refs better than Poite is Owens and Rolland but neither of them could have referred since Owens had just riffed the H-Cup final and Rolland is part of the Leinster branch.

Poite didn't ref the HEC final and well just my opinion so anytime I see him I am disappointed in his performances. The up and coming French ref I think is Garçons (name might be wrong) but he is has great grasp of all areas.

Poite didn't ref the HEC final and well just my opinion so anytime I see him I am disappointed in his performances. The up and coming French ref I think is Garçons (name might be wrong) but he is has great grasp of all areas.

2011.... Had a very good game. But fair enough depends on interpretation. I think sometimes Poites problem is that when he awards a dominant scrum it's very easy to undermine the law.

Poite just doesn't ref a lot of areas. HEC QF Munster vs Ulster. (Ulster deserved win) but he never reffed the offside there and Ulster made hay and well he was poor in scrum and breakdown. This was case for a few top 14 games I've seen too. He just isn't up to it in my eyes and it's scary that him and Berdos got to such a high level. Joel Jutge was last top class French ref

Poite just doesn't ref a lot of areas. HEC QF Munster vs Ulster. (Ulster deserved win) but he never reffed the offside there and Ulster made hay and well he was poor in scrum and breakdown. This was case for a few top 14 games I've seen too. He just isn't up to it in my eyes and it's scary that him and Berdos got to such a high level. Joel Jutge was last top class French ref

The offside thing is interesting, Ospreys effectively lived offside all day yesterday. I don't think a single penalty was given for it either.

The offside thing is interesting, Ospreys effectively lived offside all day yesterday. I don't think a single penalty was given for it either.

Watched the game again, and certainly picked up on that more the second viewing. The O's backrow were offside rather often.

To add to that referees are told the offsides are a key area to tackle at the beginning of the. Most referee will within the first 10 minute give an offside penalty just to give some clarity and stamp some authority over that area.

Waw just Waw!!!! Watching this game in an empty Cardiff University SU, with only 1 other O's supporter was indeed interesting. Crazy game. So many unforced errors from us, but as usual we were saved by my fellow Amman Valley Product, Mr Williams.What a player, and many are arguing that he shouldn't be retiring, but I guess he wants to finish with dignity. I guess a try in every "final" match aint too bad! Crazy crazy crazy stuff!

Lets hope we can build on this :p

To add to that referees are told the offsides are a key area to tackle at the beginning of the. Most referee will within the first 10 minute give an offside penalty just to give some clarity and stamp some authority over that area.
Which begs another question, why not have an additional referee in top level games whose sole responsibility is to watch for offside? Assistant referees/touch judges don't help at all and referees have too hard a job refereeing the breakdown to concentrate on defensive positioning.

Latest posts