Connacht.png

Monday 1st January
Newport.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ospreys.png

Ulster v Leinster:

Who has the most bouncebackability?

[or who is suffering more from injuries]

Probably hard to see past an Ulster win to be honest. Leinster look like a team that has had to empty the tank over the last 2 weeks whereas our bunch will no doubt be getting a Mark Anscombe sized boot up the arse after that mistake-fest against Northampton.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to believe Amiga's right but given just how much we've been Leinster's bunnies recently, particularly that bloody final, and I'll admit to being nervous.

Beat Leinster and I completely forgive them the Northampton loss.

The questions for me are

Black or Court - Court showed last week just how good he can be, but he's played two hard games on the trot and Black's let no one down yet. Think some rotation might be wise here.

Second row/back row - Not sure I want Henderson to continue in the second row, and McComb is a hefty lump to have around. But do we put Henderson back in the back row then? If we keep him in the second row, should Williams stay ahead of Diack?

12 - If I'm honest, I'd like to see Skywalker. Without Bowe I think we need another physical option in there - and Wallace missed a few tackles too.

Finally, D'Arcy or Allen on the bench?

The questions for me are

Yep, agree on the nerves - was there last year when Leinster turned up, played for 5 mins and made us look like wee boys.

I'd agree, a few wee changes would do no harm.

Payne
Trimble
Cave
L Marshall
Gilroy
Jackson (if fit)
P Marshall

Wilson
Henry
Henderson
McComb
Touhy
Afoa
Best
Black

I don't think Williams is a better 6 than Diack, I also don't think Henderson is a better 2nd row option than McComb (and definitely not a better option than big Lewis Stevenson).

I'd also consider Rob Herring instead of Rory Best (too many mis-throws Rory! If you've changed something in technique since the World Cup, change it back!). If Paddy Jackson isn't fit, Pienaar goes to 10.

Yep, agree on the nerves - was there last year when Leinster turned up, played for 5 mins and made us look like wee boys.

Which one? :p

I think Best is getting too much criticism for his throws, Herring had a shocker over in Italy - Brady had a shocker recently too - most of the time these guys look like they're laser guided, if all three of them are going wrong then there's something more structural at fault. The first mis-throw last Saturday was right on the money is Roger Wilson had arrived in the air a bit earlier. No Muller is the very easy thing to pick out there, think its making a huge difference. Anyway, throw in the difference Best makes around the pitch, his experience, and I wouldn't drop him even if I thought the IRFU would let us - which they won't, I feel fairly sure of that.

Agree with everything else you say though - apparently Tuohy is an injury worry as well, last bloody thing we needed.

Allen. I think he's been fantastic so far - has D'arcy even had a game this season?
11: Gilroy
12: Cave
13: Allen
14: Trimble
15: Payne
I'd like to see Cave have a go at 12, second half bring Marshall on shift cave back to 13. If he does well at 12 then it's just another option for us in the future. However Leinster may not be the game to experiment with.

I agree with Black, he deserves a start, probably boost his confidence a little, bring Court on fresh later on.
Personally I think If its between Diack and Willaims for the starting shirt, Diack should get it. I'd rather Williams fully go for it for 30 minutes, rather trying to slug through 80 - because I don't think he's extremely fit.

I still think Henderson in the second row is more effective than McComb. He should get another chance, last week shouldn't be a benchmark of how he performs at lock.
What position is a Diack anyway? I think I've seen him play all 3, he looks more like a 7.

1: Black
2: Best
3: Afoa
4: McComb (Edit: Tuohy out)
5: Henderson
6: Diack
7: Henry
8: Wilson

Marshall had yet again a big impact last Saturday and should get the nod - Jackson's kicking hasn't been up to his standard.
9: Marshall
10: Pienaar

wells that's what I'd like to see anyway

Last edited:
I reckon that if you start Marshall and Pienaar you'll win. They bring such great pace to the game (Once again I'll say Marshall is the best Irish Scrum-half) and the Leinster back line could be broken a par with a bit of good passing and pace two things Ulster have in abundance. (The loss of Bowe could prove costly)

I've noticed when Marshall starts he isn't anywhere near as impressive when he comes off the bench.

League in Ravenhill.

I was at that other farce as well... unfortunately Leinster played for a bit more than 5 mins that day!

And how!

I honestly spent most of my match believing we could sneak our way back in if we got the ball, we weren't even playing that badly... just they were extremely good. Privilege to watch them that day in a way. Some revenge would be in order though.

rdpro12.png

Friday 21st December

Cardiff.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Scarlets.png

Ulster.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Leinster.png

Glasgow.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Edinburgh.png

Saturday 22nd December

Zebre.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Benetton.png

Connacht.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Munster.png

Wednesday 26th December
Cardiff.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Newport.png

Ospreys.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Scarlets.png

Saturday 29th December

Benetton.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Zebre.png

Edinburgh.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Glasgow.png

Munster.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ulster.png

Leinster.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Connacht.png

Monday 1st January
Newport.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ospreys.png

If this guy plays, then we will have two Ospreys wins for sure, or at the very least two scrum annihilations especially against the Dragons.

I'm also predicting Zebre's maiden win to come at home to Treviso as well, they have looked improved in recent weeks coming close against the likes of the Scarlets and Ulster and are due a game to go their way, and Treviso are always poor travellers.

I'm also interested to see the Glasgow vs Edinburgh derbies. Although Celtic Rugby is opposed to having some of their automatic H Cup spots taken away, I actually think that game would be 10x more interesting if there was H Cup qualification with just one Scottish team automatically qualifying at stake. H Cup qualification would actually improve the league as a product and perhaps get more fans, as without relegation there does tend to be a few too many dead games at the end of the season and games with rested players. Losing Edinburgh, Zebre, Cardiff Blues and Connacht in the tournament would be no big loss anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
That disco thing is mesmeric.

I have a bad feeling about this coming double round of games.

I have a bad feeling about this coming double round of games.

Well.... just to "allay" your concerns...

Gilroy and Cave are doubtful (stomach bug) while Chris Henry hasn't been training due to family bereavement.

Well.... just to "allay" your concerns...

Gilroy and Cave are doubtful (stomach bug) while Chris Henry hasn't been training due to family bereavement.

We've caught Kiwitis...

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11040.php

Team

Payne; Gilroy, Cave, Marshall L, Trimble; Jackson, Pienaar; Court, Best, Afoa; McComb, Henderson; Diack, Henry, Williams
subs: Herring, Black, Macklin, O'Connor A, Wilson, Marshall P, Wallace, D'Arcy

And of course, the Leinster XXIII

Reid; Conway, Macken, D'Arcy, McFadden; Madigan, Reddan; Healy, Cronin, Bent; Cullen, Toner; McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip
subs: Dundon, van der Merwe, Hagan, Denton, Ruddock, Boss, Goodman, Byrne

That last one is Adam Byrne btw, I've never heard of him.

Lineout should be tricky, but no real excuse for getting done in the scrum when we've McComb behind one prop and they've got Cullen and Toner. Relieved to see no Jennings, and I think we might try a few bombs on that back three.

Latest posts