• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Racing Metro and Stade Francais are merging!

oh boy. Can't wait. They're going to run out of coke in Paris :lol:

ah you shouldn't be getting my hopes too high. Not fair...;)

When I read the headline, I was wondering if April Fool's Day came early. When I read the actual article, I still was wondering for most of it if that was some kind of joke.

Yes, I wonder if their new kits will be even worse than the ones Stade had so far?

I do, too. Makes me glad not to be a supporter of either club. I really prefer being stuck in Pro D2 over this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="fr" dir="ltr">Sans moi</p>&mdash; Sekou Macalou (@MacSekou) <a href="https://twitter.com/MacSekou/status/841263259126767625">March 13, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Aren't they close to each others' biggest rival?

The reasons I follow Racing (at least more closely than any other NH club) is the SA based players (less so following the Goosen drama) and their kit which I assume is going t change now?

Urgh.

There'll be stacks of stuff to be decided: stadium, coaches, players retained, colours, club name.

But this merger appears to be a take-over in disguise by Racing.

So presumably only one team will be relegated - currently either Bayonne or Grenoble.

An interesting few weeks lie ahead!

I do genuinely feel sorry for the fans though.

what fans? :huh: they have the smallest fan base in the country in spite of having the largest population around. That's parisian rugby in a nutshell.

Do you know how many Racing fans were reportedly present to greet their team last year after they got back from Barcelona as new champs? media reported less than 1000 (one thousand) :lol:

At Toulouse our fans have regularly filled the entire place of Capitole and its surroundings after games. That it only physically possible if at least 10 000 turn up.

I have had chats with regular sports fans in Paris who were surprised to hear there were 2 pro rugby clubs in their city. Beat that... LOL LOL

Last edited:
this is great news. Just reading about it

1. One less parisian team we won't have to beat and travel to. Best news of the season so far :)

2. The Parisians have provided a solution to reducing the number of teams in Top 14

3. Shopping time for the big clubs...

EDIT :

Funny. In previous posts on the European Cup last January I posted parisian rugby looked to me at a low ebb. http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/38279-Pool-1-(Glasgow-Leicester-Munster-Racing-Metro)?p=831040&viewfull=1#post831040

Little did I know their 2 clubs were preparing for a merger. So I was actually correct in my assessment that things didn't look rightk, even though my posts prob just came across as 'anti-parisian' ;)

They didn't look good though. Racing are a mess. And the Savare family were pulling out of SF. Both must have hit rock bottom at every level to merge mid season in such a fashion.

Last edited:
what fans? :huh: they have the smallest fan base in the country in spite of having the largest population around. That's parisian rugby in a nutshell.

Do you know how many Racing fans were reportedly present to greet their team last year after they got back from Barcelona as new champs? media reported less than 1000 (one thousand) :lol:

At Toulouse our fans have regularly filled the entire place of Capitole and its surroundings after games. That it only physically possible if at least 10 000 turn up.

I have had chats with regular sports fans in Paris who were surprised to hear there were 2 pro rugby clubs in their city. Beat that... LOL LOL

It's funny I was thinking to myself the other day about how sad it is in a certain respect that the Paris teams despite there size have very poor attendances. Obviously the rugby heartlands are central/south.

Some suggestion that the Stade players are going to strike rather than play...

Feeling sorry for the players who are just finding out. They're in shock.

Terrible timing to make such an announcement. Why not wait for the end of the season.

Mourad Boudjellal on the SF & Racing merger: "One empty stadium plus one empty stadium, perhaps will make one half-empty stadium."

Sometimes I hate him and sometimes I think he is brilliant.

I think he's a massive ****.

Wouldn't be upset if he fell from a balcony onto a cast iron fence.

Last edited: