Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/london_wasps/9134492.stm

Although it's shown and he's been a shadow of his former self over the past 5 or so years since the original neck injury, sad to see that it has forced him to quit. On his pomp (circa Gloucester days) he was great fun to watch.

He'll hopefully be made for life though with the Raging Bull clothing range and no-doubt BBC will snap him up as a pundit, so at least he should have options.

Here's a memory for you;
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXHRozZZ2kE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXHRozZZ2kE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Always sad to see a player bow out to injury, but as you said, he's been picking up a lot over the last few years, and it was inevitable really.
Fantastic player in his day, for England, Wasps and Gloucester
Reckon he'll make an appearance on the BBC or ESPN in the near future (could very well be BBC now that Austin Healys buggered off)

I thought Gordon Tallis retired years ago.

yer sad but still for him st have kept playing for another 3 or so years would have been a discredit to him best that he is remembered for his 2003-2009 rugby

Shamelessly stolen from Planet rugby:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_6472660,00.html

1976: Born March 14 in Barnstaple. Begins rugby career with Bude and later plays for Redruth.

1995: Joins Gloucester.

1998: February 21 - Makes England debut in Five Nations match against Wales after just 34 appearances at club level.

1999: Recovers from neck injury to play for England in the World Cup.

2001: Plays all three Tests for the British and Irish Lions against Australia.

2002: Captains a below-strength England to Test victory over Argentina in Buenos Aires.

2003: February - Misses England's Grand Slam campaign after suffering a disc injury.

October - Plays in every World Cup match and starts the final as England beat Australia 20-17.

2005: Misses the British and Irish Lions' tour to New Zealand with a broken arm.

2006: Requires a third back operation. Leaves Gloucester after 11 years and signs three-year deal with Wasps.

2007: January 2 - Appointed England captain by new head coach Brian Ashton for the Six Nations

May - Wins the Heineken Cup with Wasps.

October - Captains England to the World Cup final, where they are eventually beaten by South Africa.

2008: Wins the Guinness Premiership ***le with Wasps.

2009: Selected for the British and Irish Lions' tour of South Africa. Starts the first Test defeat and the third Test victory.

October - Requires neck surgery after a scrum collapses in a game against Racing Metro.

2010: October 28 - Announces his retirement after suffering another neck injury.

Yeah, my heart goes out to him, but it's good that he retired instead of further agrovating his back and neck injuries. One of the best props of the modern era, and he's got a great career to look back on.

Geez what a career. Sad way to go out but it's always hard for a prop.

Certainly in the top 5 tightheads of the 00s, could have been even higher rated if injury and playing in a crap England team didn't hinder him over the last 5 years.

Good player ... test of character was coming back in the last Lions Tour after being destroyed in the First Test.

^ I thought 'the Beast' got very lucky with the ref in that first test, it is a shame that it is one of people's memories of Vickery as he offered a lot more class than that across his career. Not many have played in two RWC finals, but it is his character which sets him above most. Even though he was flagging towards the end with the injuries, etc, I'd still have put in somewhere in the England set-up (certainly ahead of bleddy Tim Payne in the pecking order anyway!).

"In the top 5 tightheads of the 00s...". Who'd go ahead of him then? Genuine question.

I used to love Woodman and Vickery in the front row. Where's all the cornish beef gotten to these days?

Better out now than breaking his neck and suffering a life changing injury from it - he can leave the game knowing that he's still reasonably healthy and that he's won everything he can win. Mad props to him.

Latest posts