Club or Nation
Blues
Connacht v Leinster

Munster v Ulster

Zebre v Benetton

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh

Cardiff Blues v Dragons

Scarlets v Ospreys

There's a couple of games featuring the South African teams this weekend. They're no longer Super Rugby so I'm putting it here. ESPN+ has them listed as Rainbow Cup.

Stormers vs Sharks
Bulls vs Lions

PRO14 Rainbow Cup SA - Round 1 scores

Sharks 33
Stormers 30

Bulls 24
Lions 9

Last edited:
Stormers suffered two red cards, but it was early and new players came back in for them.

Sharks then got a player sent to the bin for a yellow.

Always felt we had it in us to take the win even after falling behind 23 - 3 early in the second half.

Was just a matter of clicking. Reniel Hugo our new lock, dont know where he came from tbh, but he scored a hatrick within 15 or 30 mins!?.

Sucks that we wont get to play the other teams.

Kade Wolhuter is probably out for a year with a suspected acl. Shame Stormers thats your luck with flyhalves. Please never buy the Springbok flyhalf. You will curse that player.

Fassi proves again that he cant be tackled. Ruhan Nel also shows that he is as slippery as a wet condom.

Our scrum performed well against the Springbok packed forwards of the Stormers. This is down to the genius of Thomas du Toit.

Kolisi is doing well. He is going to become a better player at the Sharks than at the Stormers, he will fit our intense humid training style in the Durban sun. He seems to be much fitter now and is becoming a work horse, making good tackles. Attacking game will come.
By next year i expect the most from him, for now just gel with the team and try and make contributions.

I feel like because the Stormers has had the historical luxury of having the best schools catchment basin in the country they have relied on their star power mentality too much, hence a comparative lack of success as we have now overtaken them in all time win loss vs each other. Sharks has always had to be smart to get results, we dont have all those paarl boys schools feeding the youth academies. This is where i think Kolisi can flourish.

Was suprised to see Jaden Hendrikse did not start at 9 for us. Was more suprised that he was not even on the bench. They started Grant williams, suprised with some quick service and a try. Good depth at 9. 3 high level scrummies emerging. Now just make sure they dont leave. Hopefully our new american owners can help with that

On another note, Bil Clinton sent a video of support to the Sharks before the game. Probably mostly to do with Roc Nation and probably forced but was kinda funny seeing the old man looking passionate about a Kwazulu-Natalian based rugby outfit, apparently clinton played rugby back in his college days. And then a bunch of NFL players also got in on the act. Very funny though, they probably cant even watch the matches in the US. Atleast the marketing team is trying.

Our backs were workmanlike more than flashy, one can see that they are really fit now. Very intense on defence. Seems like a more aggresive version of the Boks rush defence, hence why the Stormers scored three quick breakaway tries. Makes you think of that England tour of South Africa when Erasmus just started, we still learned the new defensive system and made some mistakes, England racked up those points early on but when the defence clicked its a matter of time before the scoreboard swings in your favour. Same thing with the Stormers this weekend.

Watching Bulls vs Lions now, last week in I think the Ulster Connacht game the Ulster captain was told you can't challenge a setpiece decision so not too sure about the try disallowed for a crooked throw.

Watching Bulls vs Lions now, last week in I think the Ulster Connacht game the Ulster captain was told you can't challenge a setpiece decision so not too sure about the try disallowed for a crooked throw.
Aren't you supposed to not be allowed to challenge a 'non-decision' or do I have that wrong?

Stormers suffered two red cards, but it was early and new players came back in for them.

Always felt we had it in us to take the win even after falling behind 23 - 3 early in the second half.

Was just a matter of clicking. Reniel Hugo our new lock, dont know where he came from tbh, but he scored a hatrick within 15 or 30 mins!?.

Kade Wolhuter is probably out for a year with a suspected acl. Shame Stormers thats your luck with flyhalves. Please never buy the Springbok flyhalf. You will curse that player.

Fassi proves again that he cant be tackled. Ruhan Nel also shows that he is as slippery as a wet condom.

Our scrum performed well against the Springbok packed forwards of the Stormers. This is down to the genius of Thomas du Toit.

Kolisi is doing well. He is going to become a better player at the Sharks than at the Stormers, he will fit our intense humid training style in the Durban sun. He seems to be much fitter now and is becoming a work horse, making good tackles. Attacking game will come.
By next year i expect the most from him, for now just gel with the team and try and make contributions.

I feel like because the Stormers has had the historical luxury of having the best schools catchment basin in the country they have relied on their star power mentality too much, hence a comparative lack of success as we have now overtaken them in all time win loss vs each other. Sharks has always had to be smart to get results, we dont have all those paarl boys schools feeding the youth academies. This is where i think Kolisi can flourish.

Was suprised to see Jaden Hendrikse did not start at 9 for us. Was more suprised that he was not even on the bench. They started Grant williams, suprised with some quick service and a try. Good depth at 9. 3 high level scrummies emerging. Now just make sure they dont leave. Hopefully our new american owners can help with that

On another note, Bil Clinton sent a video of support to the Sharks before the game. Probably mostly to do with Roc Nation and probably forced but was kinda funny seeing the old man looking passionate about a Kwazulu-Natalian based rugby outfit, apparently clinton played rugby back in his college days. And then a bunch of NFL players also got in on the act. Very funny though, they probably cant even watch the matches in the US. Atleast the marketing team is trying.

Our backs were workmanlike more than flashy, one can see that they are really fit now. Very intense on defence. Seems like a more aggresive version of the Boks rush defence, hence why the Stormers scored three quick breakaway tries. Makes you think of that England tour of South Africa when Erasmus just started, we still learned the new defensive system and made some mistakes, England racked up those points early on but when the defence clicked its a matter of time before the scoreboard swings in your favour. Same thing with the Stormers this weekend.

Reniel Hugo was playing in Japan and before that he played for the Cheetahs and prior to that he played for Maties. He had an absolute blinder.

The Stormer's discipline was something I haven't seen from them in quite a while.

I'm just glad that PSDT made a return to play, and survived the first match back.

Aren't you supposed to not be allowed to challenge a 'non-decision' or do I have that wrong?

A captain can only use his challenge for 2 instances:

1. Foul Play to be checked
2. If an error occurred prior to a try being scored, which the Lions used amazingly well I might add.

The Bulls had 3 disallowed tries, which would have made the scoreline a bit worse for the Lions, who I thought had some great moments in the game.

Wandesile Simelane and Elrich Louw just showed again that they are indeed contenders for the bok jersey.

I hope Kade Wolhuter is back as soon as possible. He looks like a potential successor to Handre Pollard.

I hope Kade Wolhuter is back as soon as possible. He looks like a potential successor to Handre Pollard.
I hope he recovers from a personal human point of view. not to play for South Africa. He can go Play for France. He was prepared to give up South Africa straight out of high school. Left for France. Then Covid. So he could not complete the move. SA rugby tried again. Now he plays for the Stormers and played in the Green and Gold game.

But such lack of loyalty has put me off this player. Out of High School and straight off overseas, looks kinda bad when looking at your commitment to the national cause vs personal goals. Also i think he is now being overhyped because of the whole media attention on him after the france moves was unveiled for about 7 promising school boys.

I hope he recovers from a personal human point of view. not to play for South Africa. He can go Play for France. He was prepared to give up South Africa straight out of high school. Left for France. Then Covid. So he could not complete the move. SA rugby tried again. Now he plays for the Stormers and played in the Green and Gold game.

But such lack of loyalty has put me off this player. Out of High School and straight off overseas, looks kinda bad when looking at your commitment to the national cause vs personal goals. Also i think he is now being overhyped because of the whole media attention on him after the france moves was unveiled for about 7 promising school boys.

Is is only 19 we all make mistakes when we are young. He is back now and I imagine the French ship has now sailed. It is the Boks or nobody.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O'Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Jean Kleyn, CJ Stander, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Damian de Allende.

The most negative and genuinely pointless selection we've had all year? Why are we playing three players WHO ARE LEAVING THE CLUB in this abomination of a tournament.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O'Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Jean Kleyn, CJ Stander, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Damian de Allende.

The most negative and genuinely pointless selection we've had all year? Why are we playing three players WHO ARE LEAVING THE CLUB in this abomination of a tournament.

Yeah poor selection, looks like Can Graan just wants some silverware even if it is the Community Shield.

Ulster:
(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Michael Lowry, Alby Mathewson;
(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Tom O'Toole, Alan O'Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Jordi Murphy, Marcus Rea, David McCann.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, James Hume.

Bit more developmental, Lowry at 10, McCann, TOT, and Reid all good to see. Also believe it'll be Curtis's first game since like 2019, brilliant for him.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (27)
14. Cian Kelleher (25)
13. Garry Ringrose (82)
12. Ciarán Frawley (34)
11. Dave Kearney (167)
10. Ross Byrne (100)
9. Luke McGrath (147) CAPTAIN
1. Peter Dooley (91)
2. James Tracy (127)
3. Andrew Porter (75)
4. Ross Molony (114)
5. Scott Fardy (78)
6. Josh Murphy (46)
7. Scott Penny (26)
8. Jack Conan (103)

16. Dan Sheehan (11)
17. Ed Byrne (68)
18. Tadhg Furlong (112)
19. Ryan Baird (23)
20. Josh van der Flier (94)
21. Rowan Osborne (10)
22. Rory O'Loughlin (83)
23. Jordan Larmour (58)

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU)

15. John Porch (37)
14. Peter Sullivan (13)
13. Sean O'Brien (Acad) (8)
12. Tom Daly (45)
11. Matt Healy (149)
10. Conor Fitzgerald (33)
9. Caolin Blade (128)
1. Denis Buckley (197)
2. Dave Heffernan (141)
3. Finlay Bealham (156)
4. Niall Murray (14)
5. Gavin Thornbury (57)
6. Eoghan Masterson (108)
7. Conor Oliver (18)
8. Jarrad Butler (70) (C)

Replacements
16. Jonny Murphy (14)
17. Matthew Burke (21)
18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (64)
19. Cian Prendergast (6)
20. Abraham Papali'I (11)
21. Kieran Marmion (183)
22. Sammy Arnold (12)
23. Oran McNulty (1)

Last edited:
This was a really good Scottish clash. Fortunately the Warriors came out victorious.

Good win for us last night, as you'd hope with probably a needlessly strong selection. Frustrating at times too with how many penalties we concede but their pack weren't on the same level as us. Still how they only got the one try is beyond me they had so much possession when we eased off in the second half only for us to knick another one at the death. Good to see Conway score again. Murray was very good as was Haley and Hanrahan. Day to forget for Ulster. I like Addison but he got what he deserved with the red.

Latest posts