Rainbow Cup

ajwffc

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Blues
132299145_4147347068626736_3791781523712465159_o.jpg

So despite saying it's under review it looks like the playoffs will be removed and we'll just have a final with the conference winners? Seems a bit unfair to decide that this far into the season. Even if the likely winners are the same.

I try my best to follow and support this organization but they make some very strange decisions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Surely it will be a good thing to have Vermeulen, Kitshoff, Kolisi , Du Toit and others playing down Rodney Parade.

I was looking at the south African teams just to get to know them better and I cant say I recognise many of the coaches except for White. Most seem inexperienced/young. Is there a south African who could give me a reason for this? Experienced coaches leaving for europe/Japan for instance? Or is there a lot of very talented young coaches coming through?

Also is there any I should look out for? One that look like they may coach the Springboks in the future or plays an exciting brand of rugby? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone seen any good team previews of the Rainbow cup? Would love to see an article looking at all the teams strengths and weaknesses.

I was looking at the south African teams just to get to know them better and I cant say I recognise many of the coaches except for White. Most seem inexperienced/young. Is there a south African who could give me a reason for this? Experienced coaches leaving for europe/Japan for instance? Or is there a lot of very talented young coaches coming through?

Also is there any I should look out for? One that look like they may coach the Springboks in the future or plays an exciting brand of rugby? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the coaches of the Stormers, Lions and Sharks are relatively unknown outside of South Africa.

John Dobson who coaches the Stormers/WP started out as a coach at university level, and had success in the Varsity Cup, and from there got promoted to the U/21's and then the senior sides.

He has been involved with the Stormers/WP for the past 6 years.

The Lions coach is Ivan van Rooyen, the youngest of all the coaches and last year was his first term as a head coach of any team. Prior to that he was the fitness and conditioning coach of the Lions when Johan Ackermann was the head coach.

Sean Everitt is the Sharks coach and has been involved in Sharks rugby since 2008, where he started out as coach of the u/19's then u/21's then currie cup and ultimately Super Rugby. He also used to play for the Sharks.

I think there are a lot of good young coaches coming through the ranks. And with the Boksmart campaign we have in SA, there is now a real drive where coaches from high school to senior level are all on the same page, and attend conferences and coaching clinics spearheaded by Rassie.

Sharks Head Coach Everitt was promoted from our age grade teams. He used to be an assistant coach for the Super rugby side before moving to the development side. So the idea was that if we promote from within then he would already know our youth/upcoming talent and hopefully trust them more in order to facilitate first team integration.

It was supposed to be a transition year, its usually a term people use to say excuse us we will probably be shite this year, but then his youth integration with an emphasis on a strong backline dominated game got us to top of the Super rugby log before Covid binned it. Most of the Backline should be back before the Rainbow cup and with the American investment our players really should stay put. Which is all i can ask for, and need to ask for in the hopes for a ***le.

Yes, the coaches of the Stormers, Lions and Sharks are relatively unknown outside of South Africa.

John Dobson who coaches the Stormers/WP started out as a coach at university level, and had success in the Varsity Cup, and from there got promoted to the U/21's and then the senior sides.

He has been involved with the Stormers/WP for the past 6 years.

The Lions coach is Ivan van Rooyen, the youngest of all the coaches and last year was his first term as a head coach of any team. Prior to that he was the fitness and conditioning coach of the Lions when Johan Ackermann was the head coach.

Sean Everitt is the Sharks coach and has been involved in Sharks rugby since 2008, where he started out as coach of the u/19's then u/21's then currie cup and ultimately Super Rugby. He also used to play for the Sharks.

I think there are a lot of good young coaches coming through the ranks. And with the Boksmart campaign we have in SA, there is now a real drive where coaches from high school to senior level are all on the same page, and attend conferences and coaching clinics spearheaded by Rassie.
Thanks for that. Good to get some context. Its interesting how they come up through the ranks of each team. Doesn't seem to happen much in Ireland.

Hi There I am new to Pro 14 /16 rugby, can anyone give me a possible Rainbow Cup Conference list, should things materialize?
Or is this question asked too early. Mickey

all that is known is that each conference will have 2 welsh, 2 irish 2 south african, 1 italian and 1 scottish side.

Latest posts