• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ranfurly Shield 2010

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
The Ranfurly Shield is traditionally the biggest prize within NZ rugby. Southland won it last year from Canterbury, and have had two (easy) defenses this year, against North Otago (48-3) and Wanganui (62-6).

Southland's first serious Ranfurly Shield defense occurs today against Otago - a team that hasn't had the shield since 1957 (despite getting close numerous times). Despite Otago's dire performance last week I think the have a genuine chance of taking the Shield.

The weather is apparently going to be poor, with snow forecast down to 400m - this could make it a close game.

The two teams are as follows:
Southland
Robbie Robinson, Glen Horton, Kendrick Lynn, Matt Saunders, James Paterson/Mark Wells, James Wilson, Scott Cowan, Elliot Dixon, Tim Boys, John Hardie, Joe Tuineau, Josh Bekhuis, Chris King, Jason Rutledge, Jamie Makintosh (captain)
Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Nic Barrett/Micheal Peterson, Dion Bates, Kane Thompson, Sonny Rangitoheriri, Wells/Pehi Te Whare, Tony Koonwaiyou
Otago
Chris Small, Ryan Shortland, Ben Smith, Josh Tatapu, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Glenn Dickson, Sean Romans, Adam Thomson, Alando Soakai (captain), Eben Joubert, Hayden Triggs, Hoani Matenga, Sam Hibbard, Peter Mirrielees, Kees Meeuws
Reserves: Liam Coltman, Blair Young, Seko Kalou, Paul Grant, Johnny Legg, Andrew Parata, Joe Hill

Southland are regarded as big favourites for the games, but looking at the two teams there really shouldn't be too much between them. Southland look stronger up front, but Otago probably has the edge in the loose forwards, and its pretty even in the backs.

My Prediction: Otago by 3, winning the Ranfurly Shield for the first time in 50 years (though it may just be wishful thinking on my part :cool:)

How does one go about winning it. Is it a cup competetion or what

How does one go about winning it. Is it a cup competetion or what

Its a Challenge system -any home games the holder has in the NPC games count as Ranfurly shield challenges (apart from semis and finals). The holding union must defend the Shield in challenge matches, and if a challenger defeats them, they become the new holder of the Shield. More information: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranfurly_Shield)

At times one team (usually Canterbury or Auckland) have held the Shield for years, but recently its been shared around a bit. Many people consider the winning the Ranfurly Shield more prestigious than winning the NPC (or ITM Cup or whatever its called now).

Is that the Kees Meeuws ... the one that appears in my avatar?

Is that the Kees Meeuws ... the one that appears in my avatar?

Indeed - he's still playing some good rugby too. He struggles to play 80 mins, but he is still as good a ball runner as ever for the 50-odd mins he's on the field.

Indeed - he's still playing some good rugby too. He struggles to play 80 mins, but he is still as good a ball runner as ever for the 50-odd mins he's on the field.

I've been neglecting to much ITM / NPC recently :(

Might actually get up early to watch this now!

I've been neglecting to much ITM / NPC recently :(

Might actually get up early to watch this now!

Its on in about 5 hours (4.35pm NZT). I don't think its going to be a very good game of rugby due to the horrible conditions forecast (unless Otago win, in which case it will be up there with the greatest games ever played...).

Wearther seems fine, decent looking game, but a couple of kicking and handling errors, Otago player has been yellowed
Currently 6-3 to Southland

HT 9-6 to Otago

Last edited:
I thought it was an enthralling game. I'm glad Southland won it even though a win to Otago would give Wellington a challenge next week. I must say that it was good to see a drop goal, too.

yeah it was such a dramatic game even though the score was low it was really exciting to watch.

a classic shield match for sure. good on southland for hanging on. how unlucky for otago yet again in a shield match.

Next up is Counties to challenge for the Shield. Seeing as they beat wellington convicingly this will be a tough encounter :)

I wouldn't say that they won convincingly, I would say that they were lucky to win. Wellington were pretty terrible and made a few dreadful mistakes and were continuously turning the ball over. Counties did take advantage of their opportunites but they got a few lucky tries. I think we should have easily beaten them. I'm not trying to be a bad loser, I just don't think the result was a fair reflection of the game. I think that Southland should be able to dispatch Counties relatively easily.

I wouldn't say that they won convincingly, I would say that they were lucky to win. Wellington were pretty terrible and made a few dreadful mistakes and were continuously turning the ball over. Counties did take advantage of their opportunites but they got a few lucky tries. I think we should have easily beaten them. I'm not trying to be a bad loser, I just don't think the result was a fair reflection of the game. I think that Southland should be able to dispatch Counties relatively easily.

Well you are being a colossal bad loser.
I support the Wellington side (among others) but they got absolutely and utterly schooled. For one, the Counties forwards dominated their counterparts (as they did last week), the first 20 or so minutes were embarrassing to watch, Counties just completely had their way with Wellington. There is no two ways about it, Counties were just better drilled and worked together better in the tight, you dont dominate in the tight by luck mate it just doesn't happen.
Tim Nanai-Williams made the Wellington defense his ***** aswell, any time he decided to have a go he would shoot straight through, Counties were unlucky that his runs didn't result in more points or at least a bonus point try.
Also. i have no idea who this Bayden Kerr guy is that was playing in the 10 jersey for the Steelers but he definitely had the better of Fili, his kicking from hand was top notch. It was an awesome display of tactical astuteness from a first five and for you to say they were lucky is nothing but sour grapes.

Counties were up what, 25-3 at the half? yes, i'll agree that the result wasn't a fair reflection of the game, but only because Wellington shouldn't have been that close on the scoreboard at the end of the match. Charlie Ngatai really got the Wellington team roaring when he came on, and Treeby, Gear and Savea all looked threatening, but they were simply outclassed by the allround team performance Counties put in, especially in the forwards. Honesty you sound like a South African WUM with this "They weren't better than us, we just didnt play very well" business.

As for the next game against Southland, the Stags struggled and grafted their way to a 4 point win against Otago. Counties raped Otago all over the park, winning 29-13 even though they had 14 men for a quarter of the game.
Just something to think about before you write them off..

Typically Shield performance by Otago - we got close, but not close enough. Southland seemed intent on playing conservatively for most of the match - it seemed like there game plan was not 'try to win', but rather 'try not to lose' (if anyone actually understands what I mean). They actually started to play a lot better latter in the second half, and deserved their win.

This weeks game against counties will be interesting - I think the weather may be a big determining factor in the game. If it is freezing cold and wet I'd expect Southland to win the game comfortably, as Counties are certainly not used to these conditions. If it is dry it could be a close game as the Counties backline can be lethal, and there are some worrying deficiencies in Southlands back-line defense (particularity around James Wilson at 10).

Well you are being a colossal bad loser.
I support the Wellington side (among others) but they got absolutely and utterly schooled. For one, the Counties forwards dominated their counterparts (as they did last week), the first 20 or so minutes were embarrassing to watch, Counties just completely had their way with Wellington. There is no two ways about it, Counties were just better drilled and worked together better in the tight, you dont dominate in the tight by luck mate it just doesn't happen.
Tim Nanai-Williams made the Wellington defense his ***** aswell, any time he decided to have a go he would shoot straight through, Counties were unlucky that his runs didn't result in more points or at least a bonus point try.
Also. i have no idea who this Bayden Kerr guy is that was playing in the 10 jersey for the Steelers but he definitely had the better of Fili, his kicking from hand was top notch. It was an awesome display of tactical astuteness from a first five and for you to say they were lucky is nothing but sour grapes.

Counties were up what, 25-3 at the half? yes, i'll agree that the result wasn't a fair reflection of the game, but only because Wellington shouldn't have been that close on the scoreboard at the end of the match. Charlie Ngatai really got the Wellington team roaring when he came on, and Treeby, Gear and Savea all looked threatening, but they were simply outclassed by the allround team performance Counties put in, especially in the forwards. Honesty you sound like a South African WUM with this "They weren't better than us, we just didnt play very well" business.

As for the next game against Southland, the Stags struggled and grafted their way to a 4 point win against Otago. Counties raped Otago all over the park, winning 29-13 even though they had 14 men for a quarter of the game.
Just something to think about before you write them off..

Counties certainly played with a lot more passion than us. I just don't think they were a great team. They didn't seem to be very clinical, they let us come back into the game when they could have put us away. If things went only slightly differently, we would have won. For instance, how on earth did Tialata not score? I thought the deicsion making from Wellington was terrible too, they messed up choosing what to do off the penalties. What's the point in having a scrum if So'alialo is just going to run off the back? They should have taken the tap which would have wasted less time. Counties definitely had some good players that impressed me, Williams for one. I don't think the team that scores the most points always deserves to win; Wellington has won plenty of games that I think we deserved to lose. Sometimes you play better but it doesn't work out for you and that's how I saw this game.

I don't know if Counties play great Ranfurly Shield football. Southland will be at home which is not an easy place to win and I think Counties may have already shown their hand. But, hey, we'll see......

Counties certainly played with a lot more passion than us. I just don't think they were a great team. They didn't seem to be very clinical, they let us come back into the game when they could have put us away. If things went only slightly differently, we would have won. For instance, how on earth did Tialata not score? I thought the deicsion making from Wellington was terrible too, they messed up choosing what to do off the penalties. What's the point in having a scrum if So'alialo is just going to run off the back? They should have taken the tap which would have wasted less time. Counties definitely had some good players that impressed me, Williams for one. I don't think the team that scores the most points always deserves to win; Wellington has won plenty of games that I think we deserved to lose. Sometimes you play better but it doesn't work out for you and that's how I saw this game.

I don't know if Counties play great Ranfurly Shield football. Southland will be at home which is not an easy place to win and I think Counties may have already shown their hand. But, hey, we'll see......

They didnt close out very well and you could argue that they weren't very clinical, but you have to remember that it was only the 2nd game of the season. They were no less clinical than any other team in the comp has been to this point.I just think that they played some top class football, the forwards were immense, the backs were very threatening, they deserve some credit.
If the Counties forwards can put in another display like they have shown the last 2 weeks and gain parity in the tight (Which will be very difficult as i rate Southland as the best pack in NZ) then the South Aucklanders could give them hell in the backs, the most impressive part of their backplay for me was their support and offloading, its immense. It depends on the pitch a bit too, if its a cold mudbath, you can expect a Stag victory, if its a dry field though..
I for one will probably throw a 20 on Counties, they will be paying a bit and i really hope for the sake of rugby in South Auckland that they win it. It would be even better if they keep it and take it to the 2nd division with them.

At least if Counties win it there is less chance the shield will head back to Christchurch or Auckland. Southland plays both at home this year while Counties only play Auckland near the end of the season.

Can't we keep it for a few weeks more, pretty please........ it took 50 years to make its way home to Rugby Park!

On a more serious note, Rugby Park is one of the hardest grounds in the country to get an away win, even a few years back when Southland were not half the team they are today, with the incentive of the Ranfurly Shield added in it's going to be hard graft for any team to win the log of wood.

Latest posts