• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rapid Rugby including Western Force and Asia-Pacific teams to be kickstarted in early 2019

I love that there are now options for fully pro Samoan (albeit based in NZ and Australia) and Fijian club team but skeptical that teams in Singapore, Malaysia, mainland China, Hawaii and Korea will have enough fan support. Not sure what to make of the proposed rule changes until seeing them played out.

It'd be brilliant to see this and Major League Rugby take off. How is this capturing the public's attention? Looking at the number of twitter and instagram followers for the proposed new league, they've a big task ahead of them.

As a comparison, a newly formed pro lacrosse league in the US which has yet to play a game and is following the Sevens/Formula One touring circuit model (Premier League Lacrosse) is getting more traction stateside than MLR is in it's second season.

Where can we watch this? Live stream on world rugby or something?
Australia
Live SBS Viceland (on-delay to WA viewers 10.30pm AWST)
Live & on demand at SBS On Demand and www.sbs.com.au
Live and on demand at Kayo Sports
Fox Sports

Asia
Live on Fox Sports Asia

New Zealand
Live on Sky TV

Live online coverage will be available in all other regions via www.rapidrugby.com

It was announced several hours ago. :)

Last edited:
After 10 minutes of play
Western Force 0-7 World XV
There was a penalty, and the Japanese player tried an onside kick seemingly borrowed from NFL instead of kicking for 3 points
um...interesting

Last edited:
I just watched the match live and I enjoyed it. It really is faster and some of the World XV players looked out of shape. Western Force won it 26-16, if you missed it. I hope Global Rapid Rugby catches on and it would be nice if the Sunwolves (currently of SupeRugby...but won't be after next season) joined GRR since it's focused on the Asian rugby market. That all depends on $ponsorship of course. And kudos to GRR for streaming the match online for free!

It is interesting that World Rugby are already talking about running a trial of GRR style kicking rules in the opposing half in order to reduce the number of defenders in the line.

It is interesting that World Rugby are already talking about running a trial of GRR style kicking rules in the opposing half in order to reduce the number of defenders in the line.

Aren't the GRR rules just that you cant kick the hall straight out from anywhere and gain ground, including inside your 22? WR are looking at RL style 40-20.

Aren't the GRR rules just that you cant kick the hall straight out from anywhere and gain ground, including inside your 22? WR are looking at RL style 40-20.

I dont know about RL (so I will bow to you on specifics), but GRR gives the attacking side the lineout if they kick it out (with a bounce) in attacking territory, and World Rugby are considering a trial of a similar thing in an attempt to reduce the physical impact of tackles. The link to the GRR rules is in the main link above.

Anyone think the years delay in GRR was some inside info on Sunwolves situation. Ready made team to join GRR in a major nation.

Force, Tigers, Dragons, Sunwolves, Fiji, Samoa, 8 matches over 10 weeks with a Top 3 finals to give 12 weeks in total.

That system would be very attractive to RA adding the other 4 SR teams.
Think SANZAAR should feel very stupid at their decision.

If you'd like to watch a replay of Global Rapid Rugby's debut match with the Western Force vs the Global XV from Perth, Australia - here's the link. Click where it say's Hang Tight and it will start right up. It was a pretty good match, I watched it live. https://www.rapidrugby.com/watch/

Last edited:
Anyone think the years delay in GRR was some inside info on Sunwolves situation. Ready made team to join GRR in a major nation.

Force, Tigers, Dragons, Sunwolves, Fiji, Samoa, 8 matches over 10 weeks with a Top 3 finals to give 12 weeks in total.

That system would be very attractive to RA adding the other 4 SR teams.
Think SANZAAR should feel very stupid at their decision.

I think it is a coincidence. There are already rumours surfacing of different plans in Japan (albeit not yet sanctioned by their union). The article below indicates that the Japanese and South African unions don't get along (which is a little pathetic if true).

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...vgt0d4YGtz0Q_AvxkC2IdHKiYUpwOg-mGj2myCQSAcH04

I think Japan and GRR might cooperate, again there were Japanese players in the Global XV, and last year matches with Panasonic Wild Knights. All massively speculative though.

Tomorrow is going to be the 2nd match of the season. :)
Western Force versus South China Tigers at Perth.
Chinese player Ma Chong is given a spot in starting lineup.
Tom Varndell is the other winger while former world 7s series player of the year Samisoni Viriviri is not present in the squad.

Game two (the first one that actually counts in the standings) will be streamed live Friday March 29th via the Global Rapid Rugby website (Perth, Australia time).

https://www.rapidrugby.com/watch/

54799435_790580161313398_1786482305217331200_n.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be the 2nd match of the season. :)
Western Force versus South China Tigers at Perth.
Chinese player Ma Chong is given a spot in starting lineup.
Tom Varndell is the other winger while former world 7s series player of the year Samisoni Viriviri is not present in the squad.
Actually the no.23 rolling sub Samisoni Nasagavesi is him.
Thought there is one more Fijian in Tigers team. ;)

Last edited:
Western Force 30 South China Tigers 22 at halftime. It's been a very hard hitting and action packed match so far. :)

Latest posts