Rate the players...

Amiga500

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
For a bit of fun. [Sure its bound to start another few rows on here - always good for entertainment :lol:]

I'm only going to bother with the test match players.

Alex Corbisiero - Great in the 3rd test, big loss in the 2nd, didn't have quite the expected impact in the first. 8/10

Mako Vunipola - Probably not expected by many to tour, never mind be a test prop, poor scrummaging in the 2nd test showed him to be distant 4th behind Healy/Jenkins/Corbisiero in the pecking order if all were fit. The spirit was willing, showed balls to get back on track half way through the first half of test 2 but ultimately the technique was lacking. 5/10

Tom Youngs - Played well with his skillset, which test 3 showed perhaps wasn't what was best suited to the task at hand. Hit most of the lineouts, but most were conservative calls. 7/10

Richard Hibbard - Like Youngs, more or less did what it says on the tin. Critical to the dominant scrum of test 3, probably should have started all 3 tests. Was off with some lineouts and may shoulder some blame for the end of test 2 - but it was a bit of an unsympathetic call to go for the tail. 7/10

Adam Jones - Great in the scrums, mostly non-existent in the loose. The lions forced up 5 or 6 scrum infringements in test 3, so did what he had to do. 8/10

Dan Cole - Not quite the same scrummager as Jones, but few are. Did his bit, although will be disappointed not to have made a bigger impact off the bench, particularly in test 1. 6/10

Paul O'Connell - The man was immense going into test 1 and more or less delivered in that test too. Was a big loss, more in terms of weakening the bench. 7/10 <based on="" t1="" only="">

Geoff Parling - Stepped into "superman"'s sizeable boots and did a decent job. Better in T3 than T2, but should be proud of his contribution. 7/10

AW Jones - Majestic. Heartbeat of the team. Would be my man of the series. 10/10

Richie Gray - Not on long enough to be rated.

Dan Lydiate - Like, Youngs and Hibbard - Ronseal - did exactly what it says on the tin. Bit of a controversial selection, many, myself included, would have went with O'Brien's ball carrying abilities. But Lydiate let no-one down with his performances. 8/10

Tom Croft - Struggled to make the impact he has with England and Leicester. A lack of good ball carriers in heavy traffic left Croft having to try and carry from closer to the ruck than he'd prefer. 6/10

Justin Tipuric - Not on long enough to be rated

Jamie Heaslip - Did a lot of grunt work in T1 and T2. Faletau offered more in T3. Decent contribution, but could do better. 7/10

Toby Faletau - Good impact in the 3rd test. Still a young man, with a very bright future. Should have at least 2 more tours in him. 8/10

Sam Warburton - Capt. Controversy. So-so first test, superb at the breakdown in 2nd test and his replacement was immense in the 3rd test. Didn't offer enough carrying and linking of backs to forwards. 6/10

Sean O'Brien - Should have played a bigger role in the tour. Contrived with Sexton to miss a tackle on O'Connor for the Aussie try in T3, but otherwise more or less faultless. Offered carrying abilities that the other flankers simply didn't, but also very effective in the rucking, mauling and breakdown. 8/10

Mike Phillips - Brutal. Absolutely brutal. Couldn't be arsed running after Genia 10 mins into the first test and the trend didn't change, couldn't box kick worth 2 f___s all tour and pass was frequently both late and lethargic. Connor Murray looked twice the player when he came on in T3. 4/10

Ben Youngs - Didn't produce on the day. The forwards didn't help either, but Connor Murray again looked significantly more composed and effective in T2. 5/10

Connor Murray - Surprisingly ended up being the best scrum half... by a distance. Speaking as an Irishman, I am hoping he will have learned a lot from Rob Howley. 7/10

Jonny Sexton - Did well in T1 with crap service, not so well in T2 and may or may not have thrown Gattyball out the window about 50 mins into T3 (and got subbed shortly after...). An accomplished, if not quite spectacular performance. Also missed a few tackles, notably on O'Connor in T3 and Folau in T1. 7/10

Owen Farrell - Did little wrong when he came on, but was always a distance 2nd choice to Sexton. Not on long enough for rating.

Jamie Roberts - Crash-bang-wallop. Everyone knew what the MD offered, and by-and-by large, in T3, the MD delivered. Didn't have near the same midfield dominance as 2009, but Gattyball may have been a large part of that. 6/10

Jon Davies - Good T3, effective with (what little) ball coming his way, but the lack of ball is not the centre's fault. So-so T2 (but then, his much more illustrious partner didn't look sparkling either). Should stand to his development. 7/10

Brian O'Driscoll - Not quite the swansong he'd have hoped for. The referee removed his breakdown abilities from the table early on in T1, bit of an indifferent partnership with Davies in T2 and (harshly in the eyes of many, including me) watched from the stand in T3. 5/10

Tuilagi - Didn't get the chance many were hoping for - not on long enough to be rated.

Cuthbert - Good try in T1, but the seemingly persistent questions over his defence meant he watched T2 and T3 from the sidelines. Did contribute well in T1. 7/10

Bowe - Came in (somewhat harshly) for T2 did his defensive duties very well. Never quite made the line breaks in T3 that always threatened. 6/10

North - Big unit. Seriously big unit. Folau asked uncomfortable defensive questions, some of which weren't well answered. But, fantastic try in T1 and made big impacts in all tests. 8/10

Halfpenny - Kicking machine. But not counter-attacking machine (perhaps under orders). Key role in the tour success, unfortunate that his running abilities were probably stymied by Gattyball. 9/10

Any I've missed? Any disagreements?*

*hehehe, "any"... there'll be fekkin loads!!:lol:</based>

Last edited:
On the whole, very fair. Ironically, you've been far too harsh on BOD, and also Warburton.

I would have given Warbs a solid 7/10, if not an 8/10. Woodward described Warburton's second test as the 'greatest individual Lions performance ever', whilst I wouldn't go that far, he was great in that game.

BOD, whilst he wasn't at his best, I don't think he ever slipped below a 6/10.

I'd also lower Lydiate's score by a point. He was solid, but I would have expected better tackling stats from him, and whilst he did do a little carrying he's still not overly effective in that aspect of the game. SOB at 6, Warbs/Tips at 7, Faletau at 8 would have been my backrow from the first test.

Edit. Also are the ratings only for their time during the tests, or are you taking into account their form in previous tour matches?

Ironically, you've been far too harsh on BOD

Why? He did bugger all in the first 2 tests, other than give away a few unlucky penalties in the 1st Test.

I'd also lower Lydiate's score by a point. He was solid, but I would have expected better tackling stats from him, and whilst he did do a little carrying he's still not overly effective in that aspect of the game. SOB at 6, Warbs/Tips at 7, Faletau at 8 would have been my backrow from the first test.

Some here are obsessed about scrum.com stats. The stats don't show the impact of the tackle, which in Lydiate's case is part of what makes him. Those stats don't differentiate between a tackle that is way over the gainline and one that drives the player back and hurts an attack.

Those stats mark this tackle that leads to winning a penalty (http://youtu.be/V-urPEoe9FY?t=2m30s) the same as Shane Williams doing his push player into touch tactic.

Pretty much everything dull said. Lets not forget Lydiate also gave away two penalties at momentum swinging points of the match in range of the sticks. No way he's an 8 in my book, particularly if Warburton wasn't an 8, and he played the best I've seen him in T2. 10/10 for T2, 6/10 for T1 = 8/10 for me. Bod 6. POC also an 8/10 for me, thought he was outstanding in T1. His rucking was a huge loss. Croft 7/10 - North 9/10 - AWJ 9/10... and bump Corbs and Jones up too, we would not have won without their scrum dominance together they produced. Corbs, Jones, North, AWJ and Halfpenny even as the most influential players over all three tests - sounds right to me.

Why? He did bugger all in the first 2 tests, other than give away a few unlucky penalties in the 1st Test.

Apart from 2 great defensive displays. Look, he wasn't great, but he wasn't as poor as 5/10. 6/10 seems fair.

Some here are obsessed about scrum.com stats. The stats don't show the impact of the tackle, which in Lydiate's case is part of what makes him. Those stats don't differentiate between a tackle that is way over the gainline and one that drives the player back and hurts an attack.

Those stats mark this tackle that leads to winning a penalty (http://youtu.be/V-urPEoe9FY?t=2m30s) the same as Shane Williams doing his push player into touch tactic.

I would have expected far more tackles from Lydiate than the....... oh wait, the scrum.com stats have completely changed. His second test tackle count has jumped from 7, to 13. At the moment he's down as 9 for the 3rd test, but that could change......

Still, he didn't quite have the impact he usually does in that area imo. so a 7/10 would be fair in my eyes.

Think Warburton would be an 8. He was hands down the best player in the 2nd test and in the first whilst the referee didn't allow him to compete at the breakdown he adapted and slowed the ball down rather than going for the jugular and conceding penalties as BOD did. I think his leadership counts for a lot as well. Lydiate's defence is underrated. Think people underrate the quality of his tackles and how they enable players to slow the ball down or turn it over. For example his tackle on Tomane in the 3rd test to set up the penalty. He carries a reasonable amount as well - only made one less carry than O'Brien and one less metre. He also cleans out a lot of rucks as well as taking line outs. Far more effective than Tom Croft as a blindside in his own role than Croft was as ball carrier out wide.

Only qualm with O'Brien is he concedes needless penalties. Other than that, he was outstanding in the 3rd test.

Anyone else think Faletau could be an effective 7 if he had to be converted (obviously Wales don't need him there with all their depth). He's really improved at the breakdown over this tour and would be great cover in my opinion. I reckon he could play the position just as well as O'Brien could.

Woodward described Warburton's second test as the 'greatest individual Lions performance ever', whilst I wouldn't go that far, he was great in that game.

Woodward is a grade A cock - his raving at Warburton's performance definitely counted against Sam. :lol:

Besides - Warburton was great in one facet of a backrower's role in that game. Where was the carrying and linking?

Woodward has really put himself across as a smarmy c unt recently...

"That's not what I would have done..."

COACHES DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL OR OTHERWISE!

Woodward's opinion lost all value after the Lions tour in 2005.

Exactly.

The man is a bellend - has made a management career off Wilko's ability to drop a goal and Martin Johnson demanding his pack go through brick walls - his true colours shown through with the 2005 tour.

Exactly.

The man is a bellend - has made a management career off Wilko's ability to drop a goal and Martin Johnson demanding his pack go through brick walls - his true colours shown through with the 2005 tour.

Bulls&@t ! Well not the bell end part but contrary to popular Celtic belief England weren't just a scrum penalty/drop goal team the running ability with greenwood lewsey Cohen and Robinson was immense . Add Catt lugar and a young tindall to that and you've got some pretty good backs I'd say . All teams revert to 3 pointers in tight games . Even the all blacks

although you are right Woodward is a bell end

Latest posts