Rathbone 'hangs up boots'

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Steve-o, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Source

Retiring at 28, a real shame. He had such potential while with the Sharks and SA U21 team, I was very excited of his future in SA before he left for Oz.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Boggle

Boggle Guest

I know it's probably got nothing to do with it, but it's almost like leaving SA for AUS was the death knell for his rugby career (bad karma ?), you hardly ever got to see him play as he was always injured and now he's retiring before having ever achieved anything noteworthy, a shame indeed.

4. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

he had a fairly good year in 04 but unfortunately couldn't get back to that sort of form after long term injuries.

5. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Aug 12 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    And just look at his former centre partner JDV. Became the most capped Bok centre of all time last week. Has won a WC (by default), and a TN. Rathbone has a solidary S14 title to his name in top class rugby.

Most South Africans are looking at this as bad karma, and I'm not surprised. Rathbone left on bad terms with the SA public, much like Kevin Pietersen did. One thing that made it worse with Rathbone is that he was being nurtured our systems and doing so well for himself and the teams he played for.
    26 Tests for Aussie is nothing to sniff at, but he had so much more potential.
    Oh well, that's the past and now he is left the responsibility of his decisions.

EDIT: In hindsight, does anybody remember when just after he left he smugly told the Aussie media he didn't even know the SA national anthem after 21 years here. What a doos.

6. dundeesmiffy

dundeesmiffy Guest

I wasn't aware of this chap until I heard of his retirement. From what I've seen he looked like a good player, retiring at 28 is pretty unfortunate though.

7. Flux

Flux Guest

It's a shame to see him retiring. I know he's had a tough run of injuries, but I think I read somewhere he was thinking about retirement just after coming back from an injury, which to me sounds like he didn't really give himself a real chance of getting fully fit. However, if his heart wasn't in it I suppose it's best he did stop. Best of luck to him in the future.

8. William18

William18 Guest

I'm a bit sad about this. Any player leaving the game at 28 is sad, when they could have done that little bit more. I remember when Rathbone was in the Aussie team and looked very settled. Things just haven't gone his way and he has found himself where he is.

9. Ripper

Ripper Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Aug 14 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    And just look at his former centre partner JDV. Became the most capped Bok centre of all time last week. Has won a WC (by default), and a TN. Rathbone has a solidary S14 title to his name in top class rugby.

Most South Africans are looking at this as bad karma, and I'm not surprised. Rathbone left on bad terms with the SA public, much like Kevin Pietersen did. One thing that made it worse with Rathbone is that he was being nurtured our systems and doing so well for himself and the teams he played for.
    26 Tests for Aussie is nothing to sniff at, but he had so much more potential.
    Oh well, that's the past and now he is left the responsibility of his decisions.

EDIT: In hindsight, does anybody remember when just after he left he smugly told the Aussie media he didn't even know the SA national anthem after 21 years here. What a doos.
    [/b][/quote]

Doesn't matter if he had became a Springbok or took the path he did he would've ended up like this anyway, an injury prone player is an injury prone player no matter who he plays for.

10. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Sep 2 2009, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Ah yes, but it was still triggered by the way he got SMASHED every time he set foot on SA soil. Every tackle a South African player put on him was way way harder than for normal players. Anyway, he's a dick, and got what was coming to him.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!