• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - England vs Wales - 25/02/2012, 16:00

Nothing to do with the English members. Ireland or Wales involved and a thread will be inflated at least 50% bigger then the rest.

But the Wales-Ireland one is only 55 pages;)

Youngs seems to be having a fairly decent match for Leicester today...

Well... He scored a try...
Debatable ;)

Youngs can't hack pressure. Did well enough for Leicester today, but didn't exactly have a hard ride, did he?
Knowing England/the RFU he'll probably start the next game now...

Youngs played OK today. What was more noticeable is how poor May was, and Burns to an extent as well - I'd love to see them in white at some point but not now, and certainly not if it's raining. Also, why was Lawson, Hamilton and Qera on the bench for Gloucester today?? They were already without Strokosch, Narraway, Lawson, EFS, JSD, Sharples and Trinder, why weaken the side further?? As soon as I saw the lineup I knew it would be a tough task for them - question is, why were they so poor (selection and play) for such an important match?

I haven't watched the Leics-Glaws game yet, but I'm going to guess the Leicester pack were on top from the sounds of it; I think people sometimes forget just how much of a difference a dominant pack makes to half-backs. Not sure I'd read too much into it either way, although as we're deffo going to have Youngs in the 23 one way or t'other, I really hope it is a sign of him regaining a little confidence.

Tigers water the Welford road pitch before arrival of better running backs in opposition, shocker.

Tigers water the Welford road pitch before arrival of better running backs in opposition, shocker.

In fairness, who would have worried the tigers from that backline on a sunny day? Burns, May, maybe Phillips. But on paper Gloucester looked a poor side.

Pitch "monitoring" always goes on up and down the league. In last years semi final, Tigers did the same thing so it was a boggy pitch on a gloriously sunny day. I remember going to headingly when Leeds had once thinned the pitch by 10m (painting the touchline 5m further in each side) because they had no backs of any quality but a decent pack.

Common tactics.

Pitch "monitoring" always goes on up and down the league. In last years semi final, Tigers did the same thing so it was a boggy pitch on a gloriously sunny day. I remember going to headingly when Leeds had once thinned the pitch by 10m (painting the touchline 5m further in each side) because they had no backs of any quality but a decent pack.

Common tactics.
Didn't Scotland do something like that at Murrayfield a few years ago?

Latest posts