• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Wales vs France 17/03/2012 - 14:45

He was only on a 20,000 development contract at the start of the year. Probably won't have a huge increase in his new Blues contract though.

Last edited:
He was only on a 20,000 development contract at the start of the year. Probably won't have a huge increase in his new Blues contract though.

He had £92'000 for winning the grand slam think ge may just be getting a new car now.

This has been a terrific era for Welsh rugby, with three Grand Slams in eight years. There is no doubt that this team is the greatest yet, they are all young lads and it is scary to think how dominant this group could be in the next decade or so. So unlucky in the World Cup and they've used that as a launchpad to deservedly win the Six Nations this year.

This has been a terrific era for Welsh rugby, with three Grand Slams in eight years. There is no doubt that this team is the greatest yet, they are all young lads and it is scary to think how dominant this group could be in the next decade or so. So unlucky in the World Cup and they've used that as a launchpad to deservedly win the Six Nations this year.

I wouldn't say that this Welsh team is better than the 70's team. Securing three grand slams in eight years is a good achievement, but the other two were secured by a very different team. You've gotta remember that the team of the 70's won 8 championships in 10 years. I'd argue that this is the first championship win by this current team, as it's completely unrecognisable from the 2008 grand-slam team with only a handful of players remaining.

This lot have the potential, but let's wait five years or so before declaring anything too over the top.

I wouldn't say that this Welsh team is better than the 70's team. Securing three grand slams in eight years is a good achievement, but the other two were secured by a very different team. You've gotta remember that the team of the 70's won 8 championships in 10 years. I'd argue that this is the first championship win by this current team, as it's completely unrecognisable from the 2008 grand-slam team with only a handful of players remaining.

This lot have the potential, but let's wait five years or so before declaring anything too over the top.

Completely agree with your answer. I would go even further in saying that this has not been such a great era in Welsh Rugby. Three Grand slams in eight years? OK, France has won three grand slams in nine years, and oh yeah, another two Six nations ***les in that same time period. (also more wins than any six nations participant) And for the last time, this Welsh team was not unlucky in the WC, they lost because their kicking was horrible. Did this team deserve this Grand Slam? Absolutely, were they the best team of this tournament? Without a doubt. However I am not "scared to think how dominant this team could be" Let's see a little more out of this group and then we can talk.;)

Last edited:
I would go even further in saying that this has not been such a great era in Welsh Rugby. Three Grand slams in eight years? OK, France has won three grand slams in nine years, and oh yeah, another two Six nations ***les in that same time period. (also more wins than any six nations participant) And for the last time, this Welsh team was not unlucky in the WC, they lost because their kicking was horrible. Did this team deserve this Grand Slam? Absolutely, were they the best team of this tournament? Without a doubt. However I am not "scared to think how dominant this team could be" Let's see a little more out of this group and then we can talk.;)

Think your being quite harsh, while I agree that the 70's era was the more dominant.

3 slams in 8 years is amazing in regards... Clive Woodward managed England for 8 years and only achieved 1 and we all know what a great side they were.

Clive Woodward wasn't interested in Grandslams, and he got what he was ​interested in ;)

Think your being quite harsh, while I agree that the 70's era was the more dominant.

3 slams in 8 years is amazing in regards... Clive Woodward managed England for 8 years and only achieved 1 and we all know what a great side they were.

I think the strange thing with Wales between Grand Slam years they have only ever finished about fourth in the six nations. What they do need to do is kick on and not go backwards as they have done in the past. Hence why I think it is a little early to even say this is a golden era compared to the 70's team, who were an amazing team and one that dominated for a good few years.

Last edited:

Latest posts