• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Wales vs France 17/03/2012 - 14:45

You see , even our opponents are used to see us taking grand fathers :p...I really do not think we should have taken Fritz nor Jauzion at the RWC..I really think that Saint Andre should end the carrier of half of this team : Rougerie, Poitrenaud, Servat, Nallet, Harinordoquy, Dussautoir, Bonnaire, Mas...Or take some of them as substitute or impact player..but that is it. we have to start with freshness, stop to messing around same players who are all playing in 2 french clubs, who are playing 2 seasons in a row with a 3 weeks break, who are playing almost 45 matchs a years...At 30 years old or above, you can't cope with this obviously.

Some of those boys mentioned are pure class. Servat in my eyes is still one of the best hookers in the world. Mas in recent times has been acknowledged as one of the best tight heads in the world, for me he is an immense talent and a formidable player, still 31 and has plenty of mileage in the tank. Harinordoquy, Dussautoir and Bonnaire are still a fearsome threesome. Maybe out of touch but all have something to offer to France be silly to rid of all of them.

Last edited:
Some interesting debate going on here about the French team. I thought that Lievremont's biggest shortcomings as France's coach (or one of, there were so many after all), was his constant tinkering with the team. Some of the French memners are calling for Saint-Andre to blood new players, but I think that needs to wait for a few months. Imo, Saint-Andre first needs to create a settled environment, where the players respect him, before bringing in new players. These players can then be introduced steadily, instead of all at once.

I don't agree with barthelemy calling for Rougerie, Poitrenaud, Servat, Nallet, HHarinordoquy, Dussautoir, Bonnaire, and Mas all to be dropped, because that's the spine of the team, and all are quality players. With Wales, Gatland first took an established Ospreys team and created an environment that revolved around hard-work, pride, and a togetherness as a squad. He's then slowly introduced new, young players into this established environment that helps to get the best out of them. First came the likes of Roberts and Halfpenny. Next came Lydiate, Warburton, Bradley Davies and Jon Davies (not all at once). Recently he's introduced North, Priestland, Faletau, Scott and Lloyd Williams, and very recently Cuthbert. He didn't throw Stephen Jones, Shane Williams or Martyn Williams out onto the scrap-heap before their time was due, and France shouldn't do so with those players named above.

England were in a slightly different situation, with so many players completely off form, the logical thing to do was to have a big clear-out, and it looks like it's worked. However I rate the likes or Dussautoir and Harinordoquy way above Moody and Easter, and the same with Rougerie above Tindall etc.

Exactly, Martyn Williams had even retired after the last world cup but was convinced to stay as there was no heir apparent. Is there an heir apparent for Mas just yet? Szarzewski, going by recent performances doesn't look like the man to take Servat's place. If there is no one ready to slot straight in then the older players should have a little time to hold onto their jersey's for a little longer. The younger players will get their chance, just as Fofana has done and it looks like Buttin will do this week.

No coincidence that the French scrum was on top when Servat came on vs England.

The difference between England's old players and France's old players is that England's old players were underperforming, stopping better younger players coming through, and generally ****.

Frances older players are still pretty damn good, why replace them?

PSA kind of let me down a bit on how he handled France VS England, I guess we should give him some time now to build a fresh team and more importantly a proper style of play, I think we all agree that France kicking the ball with beauxis doesn't suit them, they should run the ball more.
I just hope we have a good match on Saturday, Wales playing their best rugby and France too, no yellow card, no red.
Whatever the outcome, well done to Wales for winning the trophy, they kept it real and ***ght.

I'm a bit negative after yesterday result I have to admit, But if you look at the french team, the youngest player is Fofana who is 24 and I do not recall a French player having under 24 years in the last 10 years...It is a real problem I think in France.

Morgan Parra is still young !

Team will be something like this:
Jenkins, Rees, JonesAR, Evans, JonesAW, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau; Phillips, Priestland, North, Roberts, Davies, Cuthbert, Halfpenny; Owens, James, Charteris, JonesRP, WilliamsLD, Hook, WilliamsS

Not sure about Huw's injury, but I can't see him making the 22 with less than two matches under his belt.

That looks like how it's gonna be, its a bit unfair on Owens and Charteris but there's nobody in that 15 you'd want to take out atm. They'll be great to come off the bench tho. If we start as we did against Italy we'll score a try early because France's defence won't be as organised as Italy's.

Team will be something like this:
Jenkins, Rees, JonesAR, Evans, JonesAW, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau; Phillips, Priestland, North, Roberts, Davies, Cuthbert, Halfpenny; Owens, James, Charteris, JonesRP, WilliamsLD, Hook, WilliamsS

Not sure about Huw's injury, but I can't see him making the 22 with less than two matches under his belt.

The first 15 you've selected looks spot on, however it's going to be interesting to see who Gatland selects on the bench. I think it may be important to have Tipuric on the bench, especially considering Warburton's recent injury troubles. But that would mean there'd be no space for one of Ryan Jones or Luke Charteris, and that's a big call.

Ryan Jones is a certainty on the bench, and Charteris showed what he can offer when he came on against Italy, with some great physicality in the tackle, and his lineout prowess could be useful. There's always the option of starting Charteris, but then one of Alun-Wyn Jones or Ian Evans would have to miss out. I think Ian Evans has been great this 6 nations, and Alun-Wyn is the best lock we have when fit and on form. Bit of a headache there for Gatland.

Sad that Beck isn't going to feature this six nations. :(

The first 15 you've selected looks spot on, however it's going to be interesting to see who Gatland selects on the bench. I think it may be important to have Tipuric on the bench, especially considering Warburton's recent injury troubles. But that would mean there'd be no space for one of Ryan Jones or Luke Charteris, and that's a big call.

Ryan Jones is a certainty on the bench, and Charteris showed what he can offer when he came on against Italy, with some great physicality in the tackle, and his lineout prowess could be useful. There's always the option of starting Charteris, but then one of Alun-Wyn Jones or Ian Evans would have to miss out. I think Ian Evans has been great this 6 nations, and Alun-Wyn is the best lock we have when fit and on form. Bit of a headache there for Gatland.

Another possibility is for Tipuric, Ryan and Charteris to be on the bench and then leave out Scott Williams. Would be harsh as he's done nothing wrong and saved us a Twickenham but it's still a possibility, as Hook covers centre. I don't know whether this would be the right thing to do however.

I'd definately bring Charteris back in, and then drop one of the two locks out. I'm tempted to get rid of Alun Wyn, despite everything he's given before, he hasn't done all that much so far in the Six Nations, even though the logical choice is to drop Evans. Thankfully I'm not the one who has to make the call...

Another possibility is for Tipuric, Ryan and Charteris to be on the bench and then leave out Scott Williams. Would be harsh as he's done nothing wrong and saved us a Twickenham but it's still a possibility, as Hook covers centre. I don't know whether this would be the right thing to do however.

I was just thinking the same thing, but it takes a brave man to put a 5-2 split on the bench with 3 lock/back row players.

I would still love all internationals to have 8 on the bench.

Is it just the English fans who voted for France to win lol ?!

Drop AWJ then.
Ian Evans has been excellent. Not a massive ball carrier, but hits the rucks had has tackled well. I cannot drop the bloke.

Drop AWJ then.
Ian Evans has been excellent. Not a massive ball carrier, but hits the rucks had has tackled well. I cannot drop the bloke.

It's a tough one as Evans has been very good since returning but I think your probably right, drop AWJ (even though I'm a fan) as having both Evans and Charteris in the lineout would put a bit more pressure on the French throw as well has two great options for Rees on our throw.

I presume the Squad won't be named till later in the week to help decide whether Warburton is fit (guess this will give me less time to tinker with my fantasy rugby side :p)

Can't believe how fast this tournament has gone, seems like just yesterday that we were all relecting on that epic match in Ireland. How Time flies eii....

I'm expecting an all guns blazing performance from the french considering they have "nothing to play for" (to quote pundits on the bbc, not my own words).

Judging by the discussions on here the second row is going to be a hard one to call. Personally i guess you go with the "If it aint broke, don't fix" approach to the game, which is why I'd keep Charteris on the bench. I feel for Tupuric if Warburton is declared fit to play, but Warburton is an extremely key player - his extra physicality will be crucial in the breakdowns.

EXITED MUCH!!!! Just have to decide where t watch the game in Cardiff. Gonna Have to get there early for all the matches. Breakfast, lunch and tea in the same venue it is then :D :D :D

Or Alai.... actually, I'm not saying it.

I genuinely typed it in, but then realsed......

I presume the Squad won't be named till later in the week to help decide whether Warburton is fit (guess this will give me less time to tinker with my fantasy rugby side :p)

Can't believe how fast this tournament has gone, seems like just yesterday that we were all relecting on that epic match in Ireland. How Time flies eii....

I'm expecting an all guns blazing performance from the french considering they have "nothing to play for" (to quote pundits on the bbc, not my own words).

Judging by the discussions on here the second row is going to be a hard one to call. Personally i guess you go with the "If it aint broke, don't fix" approach to the game, which is why I'd keep Charteris on the bench. I feel for Tupuric if Warburton is declared fit to play, but Warburton is an extremely key player - his extra physicality will be crucial in the breakdowns.

EXITED MUCH!!!! Just have to decide where t watch the game in Cardiff. Gonna Have to get there early for all the matches. Breakfast, lunch and tea in the same venue it is then :D :D :D

Agree with this I would keep Charteris on the bench with Jones there too hes been great when he has played.

Latest posts