• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Wales vs France 17/03/2012 - 14:45

Some of those boys mentioned are pure class. Servat in my eyes is still one of the best hookers in the world. Mas in recent times has been acknowledged as one of the best tight heads in the world, for me he is an immense talent and a formidable player, still 31 and has plenty of mileage in the tank. Harinordoquy, Dussautoir and Bonnaire are still a fearsome threesome. Maybe out of touch but all have something to offer to France be silly to rid of all of them.

Do not get me wrong, I think we have definitly a world class back row but I'm a bit scared that we do not prepare well the future. It is obvious that Dussautoir and Hari can still do 1 year or maybe 2 (Bonnaire is stopping is international carrier after the tournament if I understood well).but it would be nice to really give time to play (and so experience) to younger players. For me taking Pierre (who is 30) or Fritz (who is 28) (2 guys who have already played in the french team) is somehow a nonsense, a wasted time (there is not 1000 international matches during the year) as we have young players behind to make used to the high international level. Even more if in the meantime , you are throwing out Mermoz who has not played a lot during the tournament. It is a total nonsense.We know Fritz already since longtime, He is playing very well with Toulouse but has never done anything great with the french team. taking a guy like Fritz, it is destroying all the work that has been done with a guy like MErmoz since one month. No more automatism or other things. It is just a random pick in my perspective.

Taking Buttin is definitly a good thing :)

Last edited:
French team announced:
1. Poux,
2. Servat,
3. Attoub,
4. Papé,
5. Maestri,
6. Dusautoir,
7. Bonnaire,
8. Harinordoquy,
9. Yachvili,
10. Beauxis,
11. Palisson,
12. Fritz,
13. Rougerie,
14. Fofana,
15. Poitrenaud.

16. Szarzewski,
17. Debaty,
18. Pierre,
19. Picamoles,
20. Parra,
21. Trinh-Duc,
22. Buttin.

A few susprises. First, the halfback pairing is like the complete opposite of what it should be. In the rest of the backs, given the squad of 24 that had been announced, there aren't lany surprises. Buttin was unlikely to start, and PSA seems to think Rougerie keeps no. 13 no matter how bad he plays. With those same players, but playing Fofana at 12, Fritz at 13 and Rougerie at 14 you could make much better backs line.
Mas is not retained. He has played all 320 minutes of the 6N so far, while Attoub hadn' been in a matchsheet, so can't be surprised. I don't think Debaty will ever again start a match for France, so the selected props seems the logical choice. Servat ahead of Szar was plain obvious. Pierre on the bench seem smogical as well.
In the backrow, selection was tricky. Ouedraogo was called up because the other four backrowers were having little injuries, but apparently they all recovered. Dusautoir was not going to be left on the bench, Bonnaire neither (it's his last game in blue), and removing HArinordoquy would have made too light of a backrow. Choosing Picamoles for the bench shows that PSA expects the game to be rather physical. Ouedraogo is the best french backrower for linking up with the outside backs; the guy is everwhere and never gets tired. Picamoles plays closer to the no. 10 when in support.
So, all in all, given the group of 24 and the particular situations, all seems logical. I'd have selected a different group, though.

How much are we to believe that the whole French back row was a doubt? If this was true it is either very brave or stupid to play them all if none of them are above 90%. This could be interesting if there are a couple of knocks.

The excitement is back, wasn't there for Italy, but shaking already. Must lay off the coffee!

Same starting team as previous but Warburton is in for Tupiric.

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Michael Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Blues, capt), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).
REPLACEMENTS: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

Last edited:
Good to see continuity. Would prefer to see Webb on the bench instead of Lloyd Williams though.

I really don't understand French in rugby :) Saint-Andre did some a le Lievremont style selections in the squad :D Rougerie and Beauxis still in the mix. If they fail this time, probably their international career should be over.

Rougerie has never looked liked a natural 13 too me. He should be on the wing or the bench

Very disappointed at the french selection. they have already buried any offensive idea, everything is made for the defense. Bad choices with Beauxis, TD should have started, he knows well the Welsh and defend very well. And I do not even want to talk about the repositioning of Fofana at the wing, pure BS....

I understand France have asked for the roof to be opened. By picking Beauxis at 10 and Fritz at 12 i think we know what the game plan will be.

I understand France have asked for the roof to be opened. By picking Beauxis at 10 and Fritz at 12 i think we know what the game plan will be.

It is just a shame really, we have nothing to really lose on this last match, we should try some stuff, we should be playing offensively but no...Just a poor defensive game and high balls, hoping that we will beat the welsh by 1 or 2 points at the end...

Last edited:
Good to see continuity. Would prefer to see Webb on the bench instead of Lloyd Williams though.
I would not.
If we're going to have a scrum-half who's distribution is bordering on pedestrian in the starting line-up then we need an alternative option on the bench with a bit of zip in his pass and Webb doesn't give that. Plus he's half the player Lloyd Williams is!

Well that's a bit of a statement. Haven't been impressed by Lloyd at all this season to be honest. Webb seems to have more about his game to me

Well that's a bit of a statement. Haven't been impressed by Lloyd at all this season to be honest. Webb seems to have more about his game to me

No way.

Lloyd is far better than Webb. Webb is not bad he produces faster ball than Phillips but is not better than Lloyd.

No way.

Lloyd is far better than Webb. Webb is not bad he produces faster ball than Phillips but is not better than Lloyd.

Agree with that. Webb is a tidy little player, but lacks a little consistency. His main strength is his running game. Lloyd Williams isn't the finished article either, but he's a little further along the development path than Webb, with a good all round game, especially his distribution.

I hope Gatland hasn't made a mistake in not having Tips on the bench. If Warburton doesn't make the full 80, then it could well be. I feel that a genuine openside is one of the most important players in the modern game, and having another one on the bench is important imo, just look at the Ireland game.

Have to feel sorry for Tipuric to be missing out completely it was either him or Ryan Jones who was going to miss out with Warburton coming back in, I agree with every statement about Lloyd Williams being on the bench I would have him in the team as I think he will offer more than Phillips, Priestland needs to step it up a bit now I am convinced he his struggling with his fitness still after that long lay of before the Six Nations started, I think Jones is sufficent cover for all the back row options to be fair so that wont be too much of a problem.

I am also wondering how much of an injury worry Dusautoir, Bonnaire, Harinordoquy areif they are not the level they should be and a few big hits from the Welsh forwards coming in could be a disaster for them.

The French team for me seem set a little on the defensive side maybe something of a damage limitation and try and win the game on pens or nicking a try, I cant see too much coming from them in the backs, I think it will be a close game Wales win by 9 points to lift the grand slam.

Yay! The "honourable" Craig Joubert is refing! I wonder if he'll be wearing his beloved All Black jersey like he was at the RWC final!!!! :p

Sad news that Merv Davies better known as MERV The SWERVE has passed away.
He apparently died from cancer, first feeing ill after a trip to London where a dinner was being held in his honour late last year.
A LION and Captain of his country, he was an exemplary player who achieved the highest honours, his playing career was cut short by a stroke suffered when playing for Swansea at the Park, Pontypool.
This should serve as enough motivation ( if they need any) for the current squad to win the big one tomorrow. Flags at half mast and a minutes silence.
RIP Merv and condolences to your family.

Wales should take this match ... they have consistently been the best team in the competition (and by that, I mean that they have played as a team, and not relied on individual brilliance)

... Yes, the French are due for a win, and always seem to rise for the big occasions, but I think Wales will win a close encounter.

As a neutral, I hope the game equals the Ireland V Wales game for the closeness of the scoring, and the match intensity

As much as I'd like the welsh to slip up and let England take it, I think the fact that they've been playing consistently well and are at the Millennium Stadium make them the favourites. The Welsh by 12.

Last edited:

Latest posts