• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RD Pro12: Newport - Ulster (30-09-2011, 19:05)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
rdpro12.png

Rodney Parade, Newport (30-09-2011, 19:05)

Newport.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ulster.png

Referee: Neil Paterson (SRU, 33rd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Huw David (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Dennis Jones (WRU)
TMO: Neil Ballard (WRU)

Newport Gwent Dragons head coach Darren Edwards can't wait to see new signing Tonderai Chavhanga light up Rodney Parade when the South African makes debut against Ulster in the RaboDirect PRO12.
Chavhanga has been drafted straight into the starting line-up for the Friday night showdown against Ulster, who lost their 100per cent record in Wales last week to the Ospreys.
The winger is one of two new faces in the Dragons squad with Bedwas prop Kieron Jenkins also in line for a debut if he makes it off the bench.

But it is the bow of Chavhanga which Edwards is hoping will see a packed house at Rodney Parade.

Although the 27-year-old is renowned as one of the fastest men in world rugby, Edwards is adamant there is far more to Chavhanga than just raw speed.

He said: "It's been great to finally have Tondi in our ranks. It's been a long process to get him here but the buzz he has created in the team is really encouraging.

"Not only does he have a speed that is well-documented but he has a great understanding of the game which will stand him in good stead.

"He is also very hard-working and has fitted into the team really well. Our dressing room cohesion is a vital part of rugby at the Dragons and Chavhanga will certainly add to that."

The Dragons have only one of their opening four RaboDirect PRO12 matches but have only lost one of their last five home matches - against Ulster on May 6.

Indeed Ulster have not lost to the Dragons since September 2009 and have come away from Rodney Parade in three of their eight visits in the league.

However Brian McLaughlin's options have been severely limited by an injury crisis that sees him denied the services of his own new signing Jared Payne along with Ian Humphreys and Darren Cave,

Adam D'Arcy, Paddy Jackson and Luke Marshall fill those voids in the backline while Nigel Brady gets the nod at hooker with Willie Fallon and Chris Henry packing down at openside and No.8 respectively.

But McLauglin is more than happy with the way his stand-ins have performed.

He said: "We're quite happy to let Paddy have another crack.

"The more experience he gets, the better, so from that point of view we'll just wait and see about Ian.

"We're not going to rush into anything; we're going to make sure that Ian's 100 per cent."

" Again with Adam D'Arcy in there, we're very happy."

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Newport Gwent Dragons [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Ulster [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

Dragons team to face Ulster:
Martyn Thomas, Tonderai Chavhanga, Tom Riley, Ashley Smith, Mike Poole, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Nathan Williams, Tom Willis (c), Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Rob Sidoli, Lewis Evans, Gavin Thomas, Andrew Coombs.

Replacements
Rhys Buckley, Phil Price, Kieron Jenkins Darren Waters, Jevon Groves, Joe Bedford, Geraint O'Driscoll, Matthew Jones.
http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=19261

Looking forward to seeing Chavhanga, hope he doesn't expect dry field conditions like in SA.

We have way too many injuries already.
The Dragons have suffered more injury blows as they prepare for Friday's home match against Ulster.
Centre Pat Leach is still in Ireland and will be undergoing surgery on a facial injury incurred Friday's match tomorrow. He is expected to be out for several weeks.
Dan Way picked knee injury which will sideline him for 2-4 weeks whilst hooker Steve Jones suffered a setback in his recovery, picking up a calf injury whilst playing for Pontypool at the weekend.
Mike Poole (shoulder), Tom Riley (dead leg) and Tom Brown (dead leg) are hoping to make the weekend's match.

Adam Hughes, Ben Castle Jamie Smith and Will Harries are still unavailable.

Hey Draggs!

Want to risk an avatar bet? My Ulster visiting your Newport... I think this can be fun!!!

Hmm. If Dragons do genuinely have an injury list like, then maybe it is possible...

However, excuse me, I have a call to make.

"Hi... Ian Whitten? Yeah.

You know how you're really a crash centre until Sir decided to turn you into a winger five weeks ago... well, you'll be up against some langer called Chavhanga... no, the name doesn't mean he's a spide... he's a south african, and apparently he's quite quick.

Good luck, we're all counting on you."

CoQGuf4ijiyau177uJ17240do1_400.jpg

Marshall and Jackson aren't giving Ulster much chance so far. Overall discipline has been poor again.

Jackson's been bad but it looks like Marshall has a bet on the Dragons...

Last edited:
Ulster are playing as individuals, well the backs anyway. Doesn't seem to be much communication leading to constant errors. It's also pretty frustrating to see 2 penalties conceded due to an offside infringement. Just poor.

Marshall and Jackson aren't giving Ulster much chance so far. Overall discipline has been poor again.

Jackson's been bad but it looks like Marshall has a bet on the Dragons...

Can't pin blame on those two alone. The forwards have given away plenty of stupid penalties (Willie and Pedrie I'm looking at you), Gilroy's made a few mistakes, Whitten's looked out of position at last, Spence has got done twice and that's probably been the biggest failing. Neither Marshall or Jackson have helped but zero way they can carry the can.

Referee is killing this game.

How so? Lots of penalties maybe, but I think thats more to Ulster's idiocy over the offside line.

edit: We lack penetration in the backs, which is very disappointing, and we also lack discipline, which is likewise disappointing but less surprising. If the backs could fire and we could stop giving away field position and points like mad, it could happen... but thats a big if, and basically I just don't think a backline entirely of young bucks cuts it at this level.

Would be one hell of a turnaround to do this.

Last edited:
The ref has been harsh on Ulster with the offsides. To be honest, most of the time I'd rather see the game carry on than get brought back for a silly offside that wasn't even offside.

Offside.

How so? Lots of penalties maybe, but I think thats more to Ulster's idiocy over the offside line.

The two penalties for offside towards the end of the first half were not offside ... even Jiffy said so.

Can't pin blame on those two alone. The forwards have given away plenty of stupid penalties (Willie and Pedrie I'm looking at you), Gilroy's made a few mistakes, Whitten's looked out of position at last, Spence has got done twice and that's probably been the biggest failing. Neither Marshall or Jackson have helped but zero way they can carry the can.

edit: We lack penetration in the backs, which is very disappointing, and we also lack discipline, which is likewise disappointing but less surprising. If the backs could fire and we could stop giving away field position and points like mad, it could happen... but thats a big if, and basically I just don't think a backline entirely of young bucks cuts it at this level.

Would be one hell of a turnaround to do this.

Well Marshall can't pass, and Jackson doesn't know when to pass, Wasn't really complaining about discipline or bad hands, rather their brainlessness...

Nice break by Luke Marshall but schoolboy errors are still there in abundance.

Agree with Monkey on the brainlessness. They look so aimless.

Last edited:
The two penalties for offside towards the end of the first half were not offside ... even Jiffy said so.

I'd have to rewatch. Maybe I'm just angry that despite the warning we were handing out opportunities. Gods knows Paterson is no friend of Ulster. But to me, it looked like we were offside right by the fringes of the ruck.

And another penalty. Porter on... I'd have him kick, he's meant ot be dead eye dick.

Well Marshall can't pass, and Jackson doesn't know when to pass, Wasn't really complaining about discipline or bad hands, rather their brainlessness...

It's everyone though.

So far, Chris Henry can hold his head high and thats it, but he's captaining this pash so oh no he can't. We miss our leaders.

Brady's been alright.

Couple of questionable penalties against Ulster now.

Last edited:
Brady's been alright.

Couple of questionable penalties against Ulster now.

Your kiss of death is duly noted.

Yeah, there's a few (few the other way too, but not many). Paterson shouldn't ref Ulster games, he might be a Scottish ref by affiliation but he was a Malone clubman ffs. He's not without ties and I think he goes the other way to prove a lack of bias. But I have no complaints. Not like last week.

We have not been good enough.

Ulster are breaking Ulster's balls. There are too many passes to ground. Too much youthful naivety.

Not enough leadership. Not enough discipline. And we only turned up for the second half.

If people want to talk about the ref, go ahead. But I'm done. Ulster shot themselves in the feet and from the Ulster perspective, thats all that matters. Credit to Dragons, some great scramble mistake, some nice attacks. Tovey in particular is a class act. I like him as a player. I reckon we could have beat them with not that much better an improvement though, if we'd played both halves like the second. But we didn't.

Macklin and Porter both pluses. Dear gods let iHumph/Payne/Cave be fit next week. We showed glimpses of how dangerous we can be, if we'd have the brains trust...

Not have a go at the ref, it's just the typical end of match stuff where the ref gets a bit whistle happy and the game lacks continuity.

Ulster team with an average age of 14 suffers unsurprising defeat.

Latest posts