• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"Real" World Rankings Top 10

Why are people putting Australia below England/Wales, when a combined England/Wales/Ireland/Scotland struggled for the most part, and Wales lost to them so many times in a row?

Also, why are people putting England above Wales? Wales have a superior player in nearly every position.

I think now that Ireland have a competent coach, they may well go ahead of England too.

Of course it is all perception but;

England has beaten the All Blacks recently and have had some good showings including a series of demolisions of Arg in Arg (both B teams TBF) and a draw in SA last year (Boks rebuilding at that stage but still) and England has a good scrum whereas Aus has been shown up in that department with the new scrum set-up. Wales I'd put ahead of Aus for the scrum reason as well as the B&I Lions series win (essentially a Welsh side that beat the Aussies in Aus). I'd personally say England over Wales is the right call despite results between the two merely because England have been better against other nations over a longer period; more consistent whereas Wales had a terrible run prior to the 6N.

So most here accept SA at no.2 spot for which I am greatful because before the weekend I think many would have been torn between Aus and SA despite what the IRB rankings said. I suppose beating the Kiwis this weekend won't be enough to dethrone them (at least not in the hearts and minds of the rugby public) as yet they have been so dominant in recent years.. but I am getting ahead of myself.

well SA is on a good winning streak right now. Last team to have beaten them is NZ, last year's RC both times. And Australia, the same tournament. They're perfect for the 2012 November Tour and 2013. Granted they haven't really been tested up until the game in Argentina this year, but I think we'll get a more whole idea by the end of this tournament for sure, and the 2013 EOYT will be a good challenge (Wales and France notably, but the Scotland rematch at MF could be interesting if Scotland decide to show up).
But right now, there shouldn't even be mention of SA being no.2, it's an absolute fact.

If SA can beat NZ in NZ, maybe that's just a great match for SA, but perhaps not that significant. If they can't manage that feat, but win at home against the Blacks, I suppose we could say they're about equal. They both beat everybody else, and when they meet, they each protect their home field...that's about equal, though of course NZ can manage those insane results with tons of tries...
I know the Boks just put like 10 tries on Samoa and Argentina who aren't jokes, but I think we can all agree though SA was strong, their opponents just played a terrible game uncharacteristic of their standard form.

Scotland managed to scare SA at home the whole way despite conceding a penalty try and having that huge scrum disadvantage. But they did also put 40 on Italy who themselves have a scrum advantage...

NZ SA, and SA NZ will be determining matches I suppose in terms of discovering, or confirming which nation is THE world power right now...

Latest posts