• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reasons behind the Rules?

Hairy Scot

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
Is there in existence any document which explains the reasoning behind the laws of Rugby Union?

I am sure that, like me, a lot of people fail to see the logic behind some of the arcane and confusing laws of the game.
It would be interesting to have an insight on the logic (or lack thereof) behind the rules.

Is there in existence any document which explains the reasoning behind the laws of Rugby Union?

I am sure that, like me, a lot of people fail to see the logic behind some of the arcane and confusing laws of the game.
It would be interesting to have an insight on the logic (or lack thereof) behind the rules.

Odd post? <_<

Every game has its quirks and (at times) counter-intuitive rules. 95% they are a result of the individual's games evolution over time.

Do you have any laws in mind?

1. The foot in touch rule where the ball is ruled out of play despite being inside the line.
2. The need for "the hit" at a scrum. Why not have the packs form up in the engaged postion and allow no movement until the ball is put in straight?
3. Numbers at the line out.
4. Difference between "knock on" and "charge down".
5. Which parts of the body are allowed to propel the ball forward without incurring a "knock on"? Seems to vary from ref to ref.
6. The "two bites at the cherry" allowed (a) when a quick penalty is taken before the defence has time to retire.
(b) when a drop goal is attempted after penalty advantage is signalled by the ref.

Odd post? <_<

Every game has its quirks and (at times) counter-intuitive rules. 95% they are a result of the individual's games evolution over time.

Would be instructive to know how they evolved.

Well the idea around the ruck, which is where most confusion comes, the idea is that when someone is down you can grab the ball, but safety has such a part, that is why there is parts such as the gate, because hitting somebody from an angle can damage there neck, so safety is the reason behind a lot of rules

1. The foot in touch rule where the ball is ruled out of play despite being inside the line.
2. The need for "the hit" at a scrum. Why not have the packs form up in the engaged postion and allow no movement until the ball is put in straight?
3. Numbers at the line out.
4. Difference between "knock on" and "charge down".
5. Which parts of the body are allowed to propel the ball forward without incurring a "knock on"? Seems to vary from ref to ref.
6. The "two bites at the cherry" allowed (a) when a quick penalty is taken before the defence has time to retire.
(b) when a drop goal is attempted after penalty advantage is signalled by the ref.

1. Unlike football, when any part of a player's body touches the side-line, the ball is deemed out of play. This makes sense when a player is running down the touchline - and the same rule is carried forwards to when a kick is fielded, so if the player catches the ball with a foot over the touchline, then the ball is deemed to have gone out on the full.

2. This has been debated quite a lot. I personally don't understand the need for the hit. I'm not entirely sure why it was introduced, but I remember Cymro saying something about it a bit ago.

3. The numbers at the lineout is dictated by the team throwing in. The opposition team must put in the same amount of players into the lineout themselves. Numbers are reduced sometimes when attacking teams want to put some forwards out in midfield, or are having difficulty securing ball, where a shortened lineout can simplify things.

4. This must seem a little odd to newcomers. A charge-down is basically blocking a kick, whereas a knock-on is losing control of the ball. It's actually quite hard to explain, I'm sure the rules on the IRB site do it better.

5. Only the hand and forearm counts as a knock on. The only reason that it may appear to vary from ref to ref is because it's often difficult for them to tell in the split second it happens. Watching on tv, we have the benefit of replays and multiple angles, the ref doesn't.

6 (a). A penalty can be taken quickly if it is taken from the correct location (some ref's are more fussy than others here). If the ref wasn't looking, or he wants a word with a player he might call it back. If a further penalty is awarded (after already taking a quick penalty), then this subsequent penalty cannot be taken quickly. The whole purpose of this is to speed the game up.

6 (b). A missed drop goal after a penalty if awarded is simply deemed not enough of an advantage. It's a pot-shot with nothing to lose. If it goes over, then it results in less time wasted by setting up the penalty etc. which allowed the game to flow a little more. So everyone wins (except maybe the opposition team).

Last edited:
5. Only the hand and forearm counts as a knock on. The only reason that it may appear to vary from ref to ref is because it's often difficult for them to tell in the split second it happens. Watching on tv, we have the benefit of replays and multiple angles, the ref doesn't.

I have seen a number of incidents where a player is attempting to catch an up and under and the ball slips through his arms, strikes his upper body or upper leg and goes forward. Whereupon the ref blows up for a knock on.

Heas you lose

5. Only the hand and forearm counts as a knock on. The only reason that it may appear to vary from ref to ref is because it's often difficult for them to tell in the split second it happens. Watching on tv, we have the benefit of replays and multiple angles, the ref doesn't..

Don't want to labour this point too much, but in a recent Super XV game there was an incident when a player challenging for a high ball from a kick-off managed to head the ball forward. No other player and no other part of his body touched the ball, but a knock forward was called.
:huh:

Don't want to labour this point too much, but in a recent Super XV game there was an incident when a player challenging for a high ball from a kick-off managed to head the ball forward. No other player and no other part of his body touched the ball, but a knock forward was called.
:huh:

I don't know the incident you are referring to but it sounds like the referee made a mistake there.

I can't find the part that covers the ball striking the head or parts of the body other than the hands or forearms.
Law 12 DEFINITION
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the
ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
'Forward' means towards the opposing team's dead ball line.

Law 12 EXCEPTION
Bounce forward. If the ball is not thrown forward but it hits a player or the ground and bounces forward, this is not a throw forward.

A fumble or misfield, is not always a knock on

If you really want to get technical one can argue that a drop kick is a knock on.

It is really worrying that so many referees stop play for a knock-on when in fact no knock-on has occurred.
Perhaps we should dispense with on the field officials and have all decisions made by a team of TMOs.

It is really worrying that so many referees stop play for a knock-on when in fact no knock-on has occurred.
Perhaps we should dispense with on the field officials and have all decisions made by a team of TMOs.
Yeah and get them helmets and pads rename it to Grid Iron. Referees are human they do make mistakes but not many. 1 to 3 is acceptable.

Yeah and get them helmets and pads rename it to Grid Iron. Referees are human they do make mistakes but not many. 1 to 3 is acceptable.

LOL 1 to 3 would be acceptable. Problem is the rate is much higher than that.

I doubt if it would become like Grid Iron. It would be nice to watch a game that featured only the 30 players instead of some pedantic poser strutting around playing a whistle symphony.

Latest posts