• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Recovery

cyRil

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
I've been doing a specified programme in the gym, kindly devised by our own O'Ro for a while, but have stepped it up another level recently.
Last night I worked on my legs and totally annihilated them, they were serious jelly when I was done. I was just wondering if there were any techniques to enhance recovery after big sessions, cuz I've been struggling to walk properly since! (Avoid any homosexual innuendos, however obvious Olyy)

Ice, ice (baby) - Ice (or at least cold) as soon after as you can. Also 'contrast' showers, so put it on the coldest, then switch to hot, then cold, then hot. that can help too. People claim that compression helps as well. I've never really tried any apart from calf/shin compression socks for during/after running but they seem to help. However the full leg tights things are pretty pricey, and it could just be marketing talk/companies paying the stars to say they work (Jonathan Thurston always crops up on Skins adverts singing their praises)
A decent amount of stretching before and after can help too, and getting protein into you as soon as possible after so that they have fuel to start fixing themselves.
However DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is pretty much inevitable if you're working hard in the gym, so is pretty hard to avoid unfortunately, as muscles break down while working out, so will be sore afterwards while they're fixing themselves.

When it comes to compression only the socks work, tried and got it confirmed by a shop owner who sells skins and adi tech and all the other brands.

What kind of programme is it? I'm looking to start a new programme for bulking because I've only really been doing cardio and light weights for the last year and wouldn't mind bulking up a tad. I was bigger when i was in school cause I was playing rugby and I was a number 7 but I've layed off heavy weights since.

I've been doing a specified programme in the gym, kindly devised by our own O'Ro for a while, but have stepped it up another level recently.
Last night I worked on my legs and totally annihilated them, they were serious jelly when I was done. I was just wondering if there were any techniques to enhance recovery after big sessions, cuz I've been struggling to walk properly since! (Avoid any homosexual innuendos, however obvious Olyy)
Ice is good, but stretching is key. Stretching when you wake up each day is a really good way. I'll go as far as to say a 15 min. yoga session, if you dare. Also, multivitamins and bannanas.
What kind of programme is it? I'm looking to start a new programme for bulking because I've only really been doing cardio and light weights for the last year and wouldn't mind bulking up a tad. I was bigger when i was in school cause I was playing rugby and I was a number 7 but I've layed off heavy weights since.

D'Arcy, send me a pm with your actual email and I'll email you the programme I've given him. The you can get Physical, Physical like you were Olivia Newton-John!
physical.jpg

Red Ginseng is absolutely unbelievable for recovery. It's a root so it'll take a month or so to take effect but once you make Red Ginseng a part of your daily routine, you'll notice a huge difference.

A bit of topic, but what's the best way to threat swelling on the legs. A fortnight ago I got a cricket ball to my calf and now the swelling is gone but it looks blue/ black/ red. Ice is not working as it's already healing but still.

Cheers

Attach a live toad smeared with Olive oil to the afflicted area until the next full moon .. say three Hail Marys upon removing the toad . works every time ... :p

seriously though my Nan did advise witch hazel as Olyy said .

A bit of topic, but what's the best way to threat swelling on the legs. A fortnight ago I got a cricket ball to my calf and now the swelling is gone but it looks blue/ black/ red. Ice is not working as it's already healing but still.

Cheers

Acupuncture does wonders for injuries like these.

The best way, so it seem is wearing shorts indoor and due to the freezing cold it's actually healing faster.

Latest posts