• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Red card replacements for new Rainbow Cup (Rule Changes Discussion)

Honestly, i was in the its a Stupid idea camp for a while but ive changed my mind and cznt wait for the Red card rule to change, i do wish there was an exceptional circumstances card for say punching, eye gauging ect. The argument that it makes the game less safe or players arnt being punished enough i think is idiotic, dangerous no arm tackle that hits the head. Team down to 14 for 20 min then bring on a replacement. Then the player gets a 6 week ban. There is still a deterrent.

The unintended consequence of them being hot on high shots and contact with the head is more cards, more reds. Players have improved techniques but still in the heat of the moment or when tired from the game a player can make a reckless hit, no amount of training can stop it. So lets keep up the policing of head shots and get them as low as possible in the game, then punish the player after the game and the team for a 20 min period then a forced replacement.

Thats my opinion on it.

I think its a good rule, especially given the effect it can have on a team trying to cope for 20 mins with a player less is enormous physically.

Could question the introduction of this as an intermediate card, eg orange, and then save reds for malicious intent, but tbh Im quite happy with it in rainbow cup so far

Also an option as could extend to 30 mins, and really penalise a team still, but I think 20 does damage, and is a deterrent for sure

Honestly, i was in the its a Stupid idea camp for a while but ive changed my mind and cznt wait for the Red card rule to change, i do wish there was an exceptional circumstances card for say punching, eye gauging ect. The argument that it makes the game less safe or players arnt being punished enough i think is idiotic, dangerous no arm tackle that hits the head. Team down to 14 for 20 min then bring on a replacement. Then the player gets a 6 week ban. There is still a deterrent.

The unintended consequence of them being hot on high shots and contact with the head is more cards, more reds. Players have improved techniques but still in the heat of the moment or when tired from the game a player can make a reckless hit, no amount of training can stop it. So lets keep up the policing of head shots and get them as low as possible in the game, then punish the player after the game and the team for a 20 min period then a forced replacement.

Thats my opinion on it.
I think its a good rule, especially given the effect it can have on a team trying to cope for 20 mins with a player less is enormous physically.

Could question the introduction of this as an intermediate card, eg orange, and then save reds for malicious intent, but tbh Im quite happy with it in rainbow cup so far

Also an option as could extend to 30 mins, and really penalise a team still, but I think 20 does damage, and is a deterrent for sure
I think I could accept it, if it wasn't a replacement for a red, I'd quite happily see an 'orange card' for any red card with mild mitigation stuff that would be likely be low entry on the ban front.

However the absolute red must stay for the likes of eye gouging, spear tackles, throwing a punch or elbow, even head shots with zero mitagation. Yes its a shame if the game is wrecked when its only just started but outright thuggery should be met harshly and if you cost your team a game with it that's the consequences you have to look them in the yet.

I think I could accept it, if it wasn't a replacement for a red, I'd quite happily see an 'orange card' for any red card with mild mitigation stuff that would be likely be low entry on the ban front.

However the absolute red must stay for the likes of eye gouging, spear tackles, throwing a punch or elbow, even head shots with zero mitagation. Yes its a shame if the game is wrecked when its only just started but outright thuggery should be met harshly and if you cost your team a game with it that's the consequences you have to look them in the yet.
One hundred percent. Any intent should be punished to the nth degree

Agree with this. I would keep yellow and red and then make a new card, as the one for intentional dangerous foul play. So yellow and red are still the cards we see in a normal game and the other exceptional circumstances card wouldnt be seen all that often.

having watched a couple of games (on tv) in the rainbow cup I dont see any real advantage to the new law trials , other than stopping a try over the line by holding it up give the defenders a drop out to clear their lines .

Latest posts