• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reds v British and Irish Lions (08/06/13)

Although Farrell is a c**t, I don't think this is a malicious stamp. Genuinely in my own eyes I see him trying to step over to block the way for the incoming Reds player, because you can see afterwards he's holding onto his shirt trying to pull him back.

I'd say there's very few people, let alone rugby players, who would try to stamp on someones head. Sorry, Larksea, you're blowing this out of proportion.

To me it looks like he's encroaching and eyeing up the ball at the breakdown, and then quickly tries to jump in (and stay on his feet) and block the Reds player who's coming over the top of the ball (the one who just shoved down Adam Jones).

But his head does not track the ball or player - they constantly track where he lands his foot.

I know what I've said above and the implications of it. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling I am not. :mellow:

Genuinely think I'd rather Hogg in the Test squad at 22 over Farrell after that game. Obviously the Combined Country team were rubbish, but Hogg distributed well and got the back-line going probably far better than Farrell could have managed. He might struggle with the pressures of backing up 10 during the Tests but I mean really, anymore than the perennial bottle-job that is Owen Farrell would? Doubtful.

Warburton needs gametime against the 'Tah's and/or Brumbies and a HUGE game somewhere there for me to even considering him more deserving of the 7 spot than Tipuric, who once again had a good game. I really don't see what else Warburton adds, other than 'leadership' in a team that is already full of leaders and strong characters, and supposedly a bit more physicality than Tipuric which I think is overstated (Tipuric actually looks bigger). Otherwise, Tips is just as good at the breakdown (arguably more skilled, but probably not as aggression or physical there), and provides remarkably better link play. I said before the game SOB, Heaslip and Tipuric should be the back-row going in to the tests and I maintain that.

The amount of turnovers was worrying though, but I honestly don't feel this is where the game will be won and lost anymore. I'd rather just go with a skilled back-row who can link the play to the backs, and a strong front 5 to do most of the grunt work around the rucks and to ensure we dominate the scrum.

Last edited:
Genuinely think I'd rather Hogg in the Test squad at 22 over Farrell after that game. Obviously the Combined Country team were rubbish, but Hogg distributed well and got the back-line going probably far better than Farrell could have managed. He might struggle with the pressures of backing up 10 during the Tests but I mean really, anymore than the perennial bottle-job that is Owen Farrell would? Doubtful.

I think it's pointless drawing any conclusions from that game apart from the terrible handling displayed by the Lions at times. The Reds was by far the toughest game for the Lions so far whilst the Combined game was another walk in the park. Comparing performances across the 2 is absolutely pointless. I don't think Hogg would manage in a closer game.

Im getting stick off Aussies, saying Ben Youngs "cheated" and it was a dodgy try. Im not sure i follow them, i thought the video ref showed it clearly was. Plus Waburton scored and it wasnt given!
Can anyone clear up why they think he cheated?

Im getting stick off Aussies, saying Ben Youngs "cheated" and it was a dodgy try. Im not sure i follow them, i thought the video ref showed it clearly was. Plus Waburton scored and it wasnt given!

I remember thinking it was dodgy at the time and I've just rewatched it to refresh my memory.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he 'cheated', but it definitely was illegal. The Reds player was on the ground (according to the rules interpretation) and had been tackled, so Youngs should've released him. It was an illegal steal.

I thought the Aussie lad tried to push it back as he was going down, I didnt really see Ben take it. But ill have to have another look as well.
I hope Youngs starts the 1st test, everyone praises Phillips for his performance against the BaaBaas but if he picks and goes that ofter against a decent team like the Aussies or NSW he will get isolated and turned over.
He has been a tad over-rated in my opinion, just like Hogg against QSL-NSW COMB - you cant base selection on a good performance on a game against amatuers or a very poor Barbarians team.

Youngs simply won the ball in the tackle. Good strength. Don't worry about a few Queenslanders calling him a cheat, you'll get that ;)

His head is down the whole time and he knew exactly where his feet were going. He takes a few short light steps then one big step bending his knees and bringing all his weight down on one foot which happens to be on a guys a head which is nowhere near the ball. Coincidence?

Im surprised there isnt more fallout from this, it seems pretty obvious from a neutral perspective (not actually neutral I hate Farrell).

Latest posts