• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Refereeing, officiating, and the way the game is controlled!

ABs2015

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Hey guys,

Thought it might be worth having a separate thread for this because its a huge part of the game, but also because I noticed it dominated/overshaddowed much of the discussion in the England Fiji thread and thought perhaps keeping it separate on occasion might be nice. I wondered therefore whether an ongoing thread dedicated to this sort of stuff for the World Cup might be nice.

To get the ball rolling, and after thinking about today's game a little more here are a few thoughts I had from the game.

1) What do people think about the apparent increase in TMO use during the game for foul play? Or was it just an anomaly of this particular game? I heard on the radio today that it is an objective/priority of World Rugby for this World Cup and the officials have been instructed to clamp down and as such to use the TMO more. On the one hand I think it's good as it may clean up some of the rubbish that goes on, but on the other it significantly slows down the game, advantaging some teams and disadvantaging others, and also using one of today's incidents as an example, the English lad that go penalised for going round the neck when clearing a guy from the maul, I feel it could get a little pedantic. I understand that should be a penalty but in my experience that sort of stuff happens so much that if we stop the game every time we are concerned something like that has occurred we might be at risk of severely damaging the flow of the game. Thoughts?

2) The disallowing of Matawalu's try. Now I understand that technically the decision was correct and that anytime up until the conversion attempt, a previously awarded try can be disallowed, BUT, does anyone else have concerns that bias may influence what will and won't gutted picked up? I guess I have questions here more than anything so here goes: Who decides what to put up on the big screen for the crowd to see? Are they World Rugby officials, and are they impartial? I heard the answer is yes to both so if that is the case then I guess all is good. Second, can the TMO intervene at any stage after a try has been awarded. I.e. regardless of what is shown on the big screen, can the TMO advise the ref that there is a potential problem with an awarded try and therefore stop play to get it reviewed? If that later is the case, then does this not effectively mean that every try is subject to TMO review?

I told you guys 6 months to a year ago that the rules would change or adjust during a WC and everybody was like nah that doesnt happen....

I heard a claim on the radio this morning that the ENG vs FIJI match first half took something like 56minutes due to the video referrals and all that BS. Does anyone now how long an average match was running for before these adjustments happened.

I'll say it again this type of stuff is a huge advantage to certain teams at this WC!! Obviously most big forward packs arent as mobile and will take any rest they can get!! MASSIVE ADVANTAGE!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thought it might be worth having a separate thread for this because its a huge part of the game, but also because I noticed it dominated/overshaddowed much of the discussion in the England Fiji thread and thought perhaps keeping it separate on occasion might be nice. I wondered therefore whether an ongoing thread dedicated to this sort of stuff for the World Cup might be nice.

To get the ball rolling, and after thinking about today's game a little more here are a few thoughts I had from the game.

1) What do people think about the apparent increase in TMO use during the game for foul play? Or was it just an anomaly of this particular game? I heard on the radio today that it is an objective/priority of World Rugby for this World Cup and the officials have been instructed to clamp down and as such to use the TMO more. On the one hand I think it's good as it may clean up some of the rubbish that goes on, but on the other it significantly slows down the game, advantaging some teams and disadvantaging others, and also using one of today's incidents as an example, the English lad that go penalised for going round the neck when clearing a guy from the maul, I feel it could get a little pedantic. I understand that should be a penalty but in my experience that sort of stuff happens so much that if we stop the game every time we are concerned something like that has occurred we might be at risk of severely damaging the flow of the game. Thoughts?

2) The disallowing of Matawalu's try. Now I understand that technically the decision was correct and that anytime up until the conversion attempt, a previously awarded try can be disallowed, BUT, does anyone else have concerns that bias may influence what will and won't gutted picked up? I guess I have questions here more than anything so here goes: Who decides what to put up on the big screen for the crowd to see? Are they World Rugby officials, and are they impartial? I heard the answer is yes to both so if that is the case then I guess all is good. Second, can the TMO intervene at any stage after a try has been awarded. I.e. regardless of what is shown on the big screen, can the TMO advise the ref that there is a potential problem with an awarded try and therefore stop play to get it reviewed? If that later is the case, then does this not effectively mean that every try is subject to TMO review?

I have huge problems with the stuff I've bolded. Unless something is foul play or totally egregious then the TMO should just keep his mouth shut until he is referred to by the ref. I'm positive you could find a penalty at every single ruck if you watched it in slow motion. Imagine a winning try getting brought back for a penalty because someone left their feet at a ruck 2 phases ago that had no impact on the game. The clear out penalty and the maul one were both nothing events that didn't affect the game at all and that you see relatively frequently to unpunished.

the second one harks back to an episode in South Africa where Messam got pinged after the video guy had repeatedly played a replay of a high tackle and the crowd fired up. Would the same sort of thing have been done of it was a South African player doing the high tackle? I had huge problems with it then and still do. I obviously want the right calls all the time, (and we had had this ability in 2007 then the ABs would've beaten France!) but you don't want on,y one side being subject to extra scrutiny by the video guy.

I have huge problems with the stuff I've bolded. Unless something is foul play or totally egregious then the TMO should just keep his mouth shut until he is referred to by the ref. I'm positive you could find a penalty at every single ruck if you watched it in slow motion. Imagine a winning try getting brought back for a penalty because someone left their feet at a ruck 2 phases ago that had no impact on the game. The clear out penalty and the maul one were both nothing events that didn't affect the game at all and that you see relatively frequently to unpunished.

the second one harks back to an episode in South Africa where Messam got pinged after the video guy had repeatedly played a replay of a high tackle and the crowd fired up. Would the same sort of thing have been done of it was a South African player doing the high tackle? I had huge problems with it then and still do. I obviously want the right calls all the time, (and we had had this ability in 2007 then the ABs would've beaten France!) but you don't want on,y one side being subject to extra scrutiny by the video guy.

I agree what they've done and the way its implemented has the potential to end very very badly for at least a couple of teams in this WC.

Well, what I heard on the radio today is that World Rugby put out a press release shortly after that game saying for the world cup all officials would be neutral and the implication was that the person choosing what to put up on the big screen would be neutral too. If that is the case then there should be no issues. Hence my question - are they in fact neutral?

Well it's the job of the TMO(even beyond what's show onscreens/TV) to watch all angles up until the conversion using the new Hawkeye system. We had a similar incident in the Ire vs England match where England lost a try due to a toward pass. So the reality is the TMO should be picking up on it in most cases anyway more about Hawkeye suite here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33968219

I was quite incredulous then saying it was fine for that one incident but if it's not fairly applied during the RWC I'd be annoyed. So far it has been but I'm unsure about taking a try back after its been awarded.

One worry was Peyper performance, why did the tip tackle need TMO intervention at all (I was screaming murder during the fact play went on....) also why Wass the non-Try not referee nobody was sure of the grounding and usually they check for that as in the Vunipola try.

By bigger worry is time taken the Fiji try didn't need multiple angles to see it dropped it was clear and obvious from the very first angle they showed that caused the investigation.

You can kiss good bye to free flowing Rugby when you go to England mate, that was always going to be the case.

The replays were in slow motion from different angles from that which ref and linesman saw it in a split second.

The trouble/benefit of slow motion is that it can give a worse view/clarify a situation that does not look good/can be easily missed!

The TMO is now an integral part of the adjudication "team" and it is funny to hear people complaining when the same people savage the officials for what they perceive as a wrong decision! This topic seems to have made hypocrites out of a lot of people!!!

Personally, I would happily go back to the ref having the final word to speed the game up but only if everyone who disagrees, with the benefit of televised hindsight, with their calls would get off the refs backs!!!

Good call manx.
Games will now be more accurately judicator upon but they will be twice as long and suffer progress issues to the point where we will start having commercials in the ~TMO break just like Gridiron.
The human factor is hard to swallow when it goes against you but the flow of the game last night made the viewing experience so dull it was hard to watch for the first 60 minutes. It was a decidedly peripatetic pace and that is not good for rugby.

gridiron sorts this by having about half a dozen refs all looking for different types of infringement plus the challenge system for review. I think the most annoying thing about the Fiji game was not being aware that it might be brought back. referees signal an advantage situation; assistants signal foul play - in gridiron yellow flags are thrown and in other sports players request reviews. it is not knowing that is my problem. if the tmo sees something that should be signalled to players - an audible ping for example. then at least it would be known that it could be brought back

You can kiss good bye to free flowing Rugby when you go to England mate, that was always going to be the case.

What a stupid comment.

Anyway the TMO should be used to review things the ref is unsure of not stop play at random because he might have seen something. The Tom Wood incedient yesterday was a joke.

Is anyone watching the Tonga Georgia game? This neck twisting thing in the ruck being checked and rechecked by the TMO, stoppages in the game, and disagreement between the ref and TMO, its pedantic at best but to be honest my initial thoughts watching the game is its bloody ridiculous! Seriously ruining the enjoyment of watching for me!

Yeah totally unnecessary. Unless the TMO is absolutely sure or can check in his own time then they shouldn't bother. Otherwise you could find almost anything wrong with any movement. I appreciate trying to crack down on things but this is fast going to be a disappointing WC if it's dominated by video analysis every 10 minutes.

Is anyone watching the Tonga Georgia game? This neck twisting thing in the ruck being checked and rechecked by the TMO, stoppages in the game, and disagreement between the ref and TMO, its pedantic at best but to be honest my initial thoughts watching the game is its bloody ridiculous! Seriously ruining the enjoyment of watching for me!

Totally agree! It is obvious a dictat to involve the TMO more!

This rule about not going around the neck at the breakdown/maul is crazy too, although I have no problem in penalizing a player who is strangling someone!! Has anyone heard of anyone being injured like this?

The RWC governing body are going to have to take some action if this tournament is not to turn off hard core supporters let alone get new ones as intended!

Apparently all these changes were determined at a meeting of ref's held in Bordeaux recently!

Abuse the out of the TMO in the England game for mostly ridiculous reasons. Terrible refereeing by Peyper... and NOW, to top it off... Nigel Owens just makes a call, instead of CHECKING with the TMO, on something that could well have been a try?

So far, this has been a joke. My blood pressure is going to be stupid during this World Cup. I'm already angry with this and NZ haven't even played yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree! It is obvious a dictat to involve the TMO more!

This rule about not going around the neck at the breakdown/maul is crazy too, although I have no problem in penalizing a player who is strangling someone!! Has anyone heard of anyone being injured like that?

Yes, to be fair. Twisting someone's neck in the clear out is incredibly dangerous. But there was no twist on this occasion, hence Owens overruling.

They are going to need to sort this out before this WC becomes a laughing stock. The TMO is having far too much involvment he needs to stay quiet unless the ref spots something and asks. Anything else should be passed to the citing commision.

I think I'm already sick of the TMO debate...it is what is and unlikely to change until after groups stage if at all. Better get use to it now as still 40.5 games to go...

No point in debating it ad nauseum everything the TMO gets involved.

Personally I'd go back to how it was with refree referral this is too much but there's a reason they are doing it.

Should of trialled it in the rugby championship/6 nations.

I think I'm already sick of the TMO debate...it is what is and unlikely to change until after groups stage if at all. Better get use to it now as still 40.5 games to go...

No point in debating it ad nauseum everything the TMO gets involved.

Personally I'd go back to how it was with refree referral this is too much but there's a reason they are doing it.

Should of trialled it in the rugby championship/6 nations.

You realize the only reason they would change it is if the majority of audiences complain about it.

They better sort it out fast if they want to attract new fans and viewers. Nothing worse than watching a Rugby game ruled by the whistle and TMO.

Latest posts