• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Referees announced for The British & Irish Lions vs The All Blacks.

Makos

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
http://www.allblacks.com/News/30536/match-officials-for-dhl-nz-lions-series-confirmed

Romain Poite and Jérôme Garcès of France and South Africa’s Jaco Peyper have been appointed to referee the three Tests between the All Blacks and the British & Irish Lions in Auckland and Wellington in June and July.

The 36-year-old Peyper, who is a veteran of 36 tests, will take charge of the first All Blacks v Lions test at Eden Park, Auckland, on Saturday 24 June. It will be the first time the All Blacks and Lions have clashed since 2005 and will be one of the most anticipated clashes in recent history.

A week later, Garcès, who has previously controlled 37 internationals, will take charge of the second test in Wellington, with Poite (53 tests) refereeing the third and final match of the series in Auckland.

Not the best, but not the worst.

Poite just needs to leave the whistle at home & let a good test match develop.

At least it's 2/3 NH refs this time round. Surprised Gardiner wasn't selected as one of the refs, but other three more experienced at this level. Not a fan of Peyper.

Angus Gardner, Pascal Gauzere and Mathieu Raynal will take charge of the midweek games

Peyper up first. Sure to be a game full of 'dominant tackles'. I wonder who'll they'll choose to maim this time around.

If it was truly meritocratic it would be Poite, Garces and Nige. I would have settled for Gardner though.

Any chance Gatland can leave the Irish out of Peyper's test? Might end the game without a concussion then! Poite is meh, I really like Garces.

Peyper up first. Sure to be a game full of 'dominant tackles'. I wonder who'll they'll choose to maim this time around.

If it was truly meritocratic it would be Poite, Garces and Nige. I would have settled for Gardner though.

How could Nige, by whom I assume you mean Nigel Owens ever even be considered to ref a British Lions test? He's Welsh.

Last edited:
Nevermind that that would be a made up team!

2/3 three being in the real team to ref the tests and "Nige" the odd one out. Still it shows the paucity of the experience of the refs outside British and Irish Isles for the biggest games outside of the RWC knockout stages.

2/3 three being in the real team to ref the tests and "Nige" the odd one out. Still it shows the paucity of the experience of the refs outside British and Irish Isles for the biggest games outside of the RWC knockout stages.

At first I was taking the term "British Lions" badly, now I'm taking the suggestion that there are good Irish refs, JP doesn't count, badly.

At first I was taking the term "British Lions" badly, now I'm taking the suggestion that there are good Irish refs, JP doesn't count, badly.

Why doesn't JP count as Irish? He's only employed by the RFU.

Let's be honest the ref we all want is Wayne Barnes.

Angus Gardner, Pascal Gauzere and Mathieu Raynal will take charge of the midweek games

Gardner is on his way to being the best official we have seen in a very long time. Sadly he doesn't have enough international test experience yet. Hopefully he will get some more before the next world cup & will get some play-off games. I'm expecting him to be the referee in the 2023 RWC final.

Hmmm, not the best line-up, but can't complain too much.
Just a bit annoyed that Gardner isn't there. He's a better ref than all 3 of them. I know it's common knowledge that Owens is the best ref in the world, and I agree with that, but Gardner is not far behind him and is definitely 2nd best. I guess they chose not to pick him on the basis of his lack of experience, but that shouldn't really matter when he's clearly the best man for the job.
Oh well, hopefully these refs don't get too whistle happy, that's my biggest concern...... also Peyper...... never too sure what's going on in his head.

Hmmm, not the best line-up, but can't complain too much.
Just a bit annoyed that Gardner isn't there. He's a better ref than all 3 of them. I know it's common knowledge that Owens is the best ref in the world, and I agree with that, but Gardner is not far behind him and is definitely 2nd best. I guess they chose not to pick him on the basis of his lack of experience, but that shouldn't really matter when he's clearly the best man for the job.
Oh well, hopefully these refs don't get too whistle happy, that's my biggest concern...... also Peyper...... never too sure what's going on in his head.

Most people in the North consider Garces to be the world's best, Poite and Peyper are useless though. If you're going for the best three it'd be Garces, Gardner and Raynal, Owens or Gauzere for me but I really don't know the SH refs outside of Peyper and Gardner.

Most people in the North consider Garces to be the world's best
Really? I always thought that it was generally agreed upon that Nige is the best, especially in the NH.... at least that's the case from what I've seen and heard? I may be wrong...

- - - Updated - - -

but I really don't know the SH refs outside of Peyper and Gardner.
That's fair enough... there aren't too many world class refs floating around down here atm... Glenn Jackson would probs be the next cab off the rank.

Latest posts