• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Referees

GordoMac

Academy Player
Just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the standard of refereeing in super rugby, i've watched Ben O'keefe the last 2 weeks have 2 absolute nightmares that have arguably cost 2 games... Opinions???

Not a lot wrong with either of his games, and no, he did not cost anyone any games. Aussie pundits blame him for missing Joe Moody's forearm on Beale, but referees are no longer a one man band. There are three other pairs of eyes on the play these days, all of them are miked up and can tell the referee what they have seen; none of them did.

Referees do need better support from their ARs and the TMO, but the trouble is, when that happens, the very same pundits that are complaining about referees missing things, will now complain that the ARs and TMOs interfere in the game too much.

If you are thinking that Ben O'Keefe cost the Waratahs the match against the Crusaders, then think again. What cost the Waratahs is Foley's crap goalkicking and the team's inability to defend a 29-0 lead.

Just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the standard of refereeing in super rugby, i've watched Ben O'keefe the last 2 weeks have 2 absolute nightmares that have arguably cost 2 games... Opinions???
Not with an 11 foot pole.

Not a lot wrong with either of his games, and no, he did not cost anyone any games. Aussie pundits blame him for missing Joe Moody's forearm on Beale, but referees are no longer a one man band. There are three other pairs of eyes on the play these days, all of them are miked up and can tell the referee what they have seen; none of them did.

Referees do need better support from their ARs and the TMO, but the trouble is, when that happens, the very same pundits that are complaining about referees missing things, will now complain that the ARs and TMOs interfere in the game too much.

If you are thinking that Ben O'Keefe cost the Waratahs the match against the Crusaders, then think again. What cost the Waratahs is Foley's crap goalkicking and the team's inability to defend a 29-0 lead.
Thanks for the reply mate, you're right about the TMO helping with the Moody decision and no doubt Foley's kicking was woeful and any team that concedes a 29 point lead deserves all they get...
I just think his interpretation of the breakdown is a weakness, I watched players legally contesting the ball , on their feet and not cleaned out for 5-10 seconds and he never penalises the player for holding onto the ball..
I'm in no way a ref basher and i notice in your bio you are a referee so your support of him is understandable ... It's all about opinions i guess....

Latest posts