• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reservoir Dogs game banned in Oz

W

woosaah

ttp://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3716095a7873,00.html

29 June 2006 
By LOUISA HEARN

Computer game Reservoir Dogs has been effectively banned in Australia after the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) refused to give the ***le an MA 15+ rating.

Originally due out next month, the game is based on the Quentin Tarantino cult classic, and the OFLC said the decision was made on the basis that the game contained "frequent depictions of violence that have a high impact".

The game is currently undergoing classification in New Zealand, and Atari said it fully expected it to be released there next month.

Australia's game classification system differs from those in many other countries in that there is no adult category for games - unlike film and other media.

Computer games that have been Refused Classification (RC) cannot be sold, hired or even demonstrated in Australia.

Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, a game about graffiti artists, was refused classification earlier this year under the rigorous scheme, after local councils and state governments asked for a review of its MA 15+ rating on the basis that playing the game might promote or incite a crime.

The Reservoir Dogs game is a third-person shooter that follows the progression of the central heist, allowing gamers to fill in some of the gaps left over from the film.

During the game, players can "blow the heads off hostages and police as well as execute hostages at point-blank range with a gunshot to the head", the OFLC said.

It added that the game also allowed players to deploy different means to torture such as "repeated pistol whipping the side of the head with blood spray evident, burning the eyes of a hostage with a cigar until they scream and die, cutting the fingers off a hostage with blood bursts as the victim screams in pain".

Published by Eidos Interactive, the game was set to be distributed here next month by Atari for the PC, Xbox and PlayStation 2 platforms.

Atari and Eidos have decided not to appeal the decision or resubmit an edited version of the game.
[/b]

poor aussies another game banned :)

Originally posted by woosaah@Jul 4 2006, 01:19 PM
ttp://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3716095a7873,00.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
29 June 2006 
By LOUISA HEARN

Computer game Reservoir Dogs has been effectively banned in Australia after the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) refused to give the ***le an MA 15+ rating.

Originally due out next month, the game is based on the Quentin Tarantino cult classic, and the OFLC said the decision was made on the basis that the game contained "frequent depictions of violence that have a high impact".

The game is currently undergoing classification in New Zealand, and Atari said it fully expected it to be released there next month.

Australia's game classification system differs from those in many other countries in that there is no adult category for games - unlike film and other media.

Computer games that have been Refused Classification (RC) cannot be sold, hired or even demonstrated in Australia.

Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, a game about graffiti artists, was refused classification earlier this year under the rigorous scheme, after local councils and state governments asked for a review of its MA 15+ rating on the basis that playing the game might promote or incite a crime.

The Reservoir Dogs game is a third-person shooter that follows the progression of the central heist, allowing gamers to fill in some of the gaps left over from the film.

During the game, players can "blow the heads off hostages and police as well as execute hostages at point-blank range with a gunshot to the head", the OFLC said.

It added that the game also allowed players to deploy different means to torture such as "repeated pistol whipping the side of the head with blood spray evident, burning the eyes of a hostage with a cigar until they scream and die, cutting the fingers off a hostage with blood bursts as the victim screams in pain".

Published by Eidos Interactive, the game was set to be distributed here next month by Atari for the PC, Xbox and PlayStation 2 platforms.

Atari and Eidos have decided not to appeal the decision or resubmit an edited version of the game.

poor aussies another game banned :) [/b][/quote]
www.gpstore.com.nz

u kiwi's always look after us :p

this game intrigues me........anything (movie, song, game, doco) banned in australia intrigues me

How pathetic its like they have never heard of crime before, and why would a game promote such crimes...I mean who on earth would be stupid enough to replicate virtual images in real life...i mean..really. ;)

Sounds like it should be banned everywhere, it's meant to be utter rubbish.

It's because we don't have an R 18+ classification for games here, so anything that doesn't fit MA 15+ or under gets banned. Australia and Singapore are the only two countries in the world where this occurs.

yeh its kinda gay..

..anything thats banned here must be KOOL...

so i might try and get it

Manhunt was banned here too, after a while.

But I have still seen second hand copies lying around shop shelves such as gamestation and CEX..

I get my GTA games from GPStore

Anything altered for aussie release - i get the kiwi or UK version

easy fix really

Also alot on online retailers here import other versions, thus its not as though the banning works

I have a "friend" that played this last night. very violent. pity its not on the 360

I have a "friend" that played this last night. very violent. pity its not on the 360
[/b]

I have one of those too... I'll let you know what "he" thought of it soon...

Has played just the "learn the controls" intro piece so far, is impressed. Looks really good. Kind of a cross between Driver and GTA, but follows the movie :)

You can take people hostage, execute them if you wish, shot at objects while driving... is recommended to have a look at if you can.

Has played just the "learn the controls" intro piece so far, is impressed. Looks really good. Kind of a cross between Driver and GTA, but follows the movie :)

You can take people hostage, execute them if you wish, shot at objects while driving... is recommended to have a look at if you can.
[/b]

Yeah I agree, go for it guys.

I mean only a sicko is going to play the game, go nuts and blow away your mother and sister.

We all know those kinds of people don't exist in the real world.

It's only a video game, and nothing really has consequences in this day and age, does it?

Lets hope that something comes out where you can map digital images of people you know onto the faces of the hostages and the police. Then you can witness your loved ones splatter all over the screen!, Oh the joy!!!!!!

Don't think it'll never happen. What was too abhorrent for the 80's or 90's is ok today. Who's to say what wonderfully sick treats we can rear our five year olds on soon.

I'm like all the irresponsible parents out there, I rent R18 video games for 7-8 year old nephews, so they too can watch people die graphically.

The sooner we can lower the value of human life further in developing minds, the easier I'll sleep at night.

Yes, as posted earlier, if it's been banned it MUST be good. A highly intelligent post, that.

I'm suprised The Punisher hasnt been banned yet I mean, I have played it for like 2 hours through and I have lost count of how many real-life kills I have produced like, throwing people out of windows trying to get info from them etc, drown them on the toilet, pulled a drill through their head, got them stobbed/charged at by a rhino horn, smashed their head in a bear trap, burn them alive, etc the list goes on and on.

Its amazingly good fun though.

Latest posts