• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Return of the Up and Under kick

G

Get In Lads!

Did anyone else here notice the return of the up and under kick during this World Cup? After falling out of popularity at international level in recent years, it seemed like a game didn't go by without someone hoofing it as high as they could into the air and hoping for the best.

Some of the teams really had it down pat, especially Argentina. Los Pumas were very cunning with it, kicking quite close, but to isolated players, before tackling and winning the ball and with it a territorial advantage. Better yet, often the isolated catcher would hold on a little too long for support and concede a penalty for not releasing the ball.

In a game that increasing emphasises kicking to gain territory and points, I think the Garryowen may start looking more fashionable to teams.

Just the thoughts of an insomniac at 4am on a Monday morning, lads.

I think you'll find its only going to get worse.

If the ELV's come in, and the ARC is anything to go by, then we'll have a new statistic being displayed along with Territory and Possesion.

It'll be called the 'GaryOwenMeter'. And will measure the number of Up-an-unders per game as a factor of 10.

Especially SAF with their fast wingers who can put pressure on the catcher or even reclaim it and set it up for their forwards. Actually quite a few kicks seemed to be regathered thru the world cup.

If you can recover the ball regularly its a good way to pick up yards

but only really works if the kicker can give the ball a good amount of air time and has fast players to run on to it

I agree, although frustrating when it fails, the up and under is an effective and increasingly common way of gaining yards.

I think that too many teams are using the up and under now and not geting it right. In the England - Wales match England started losing after reverting to kicking everything. Some of the up and unders were rubbish and just gifted Wales with the ball.

(my first post :D :bana: )

I think that too many teams are using the up and under now and not geting it right. In the England - Wales match England started losing after reverting to kicking everything. Some of the up and unders were rubbish and just gifted Wales with the ball.

(my first post :D :bana: ) [/b]

Welcome to the forum.

The up and under is only as good as the chase, and Englands second half chasers were completely absent. In today's professional game the positioning of the back 3 (plus covering scrum half and back row) combined with a fanned out defence allowing players to drop back means that sometimes there is no room to kick easily behind the opposition, but you still get situations with no attacking impetus, so need to kcik. A good chase should result in any ground being gained not being lost to a counterattack aswell as a chance of catching the ball, forcing an error (Balshaw) or turning the player over.

Welcome mate.

Did the up & under even ever go away? Matt Williams and John Kirwan based their whole teams and gameplans on up & unders as well as tactical kicking.

<div class='quotemain'> I think that too many teams are using the up and under now and not geting it right. In the England - Wales match England started losing after reverting to kicking everything. Some of the up and unders were rubbish and just gifted Wales with the ball.

Welcome mate.

Did the up & under even ever go away? Matt Williams and John Kirwan based their whole teams and gameplans on up & unders as well as tactical kicking.
[/b][/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe it was poor old Balshaw who did make a marvelous gather from a Garry Owen to beat out Lee Byrne.... s'bout all he did really.

Latest posts