• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU Championship Final Part 2 - Bristol Rugby v Exeter Chiefs

Anyone who says the system is flawed everyone knew the rules. Of the 4 matches between Exeter and Bristol this season Exe have won 3. Two of them at the Mem! The major difference between the teams in the league being bonus points.

As a Chiefs supporter I cant get the smile off my face today, its been 10 long years of waiting and well worth it, it shows that ring fencing is rubbish (and I will stick to that line even if we go down again) because it shows with careful planning and determination you can break into the big time which can only make English rugby stronger, watch out for teams like the Pirates, they are Cornish, but they will look at this and they have started planning themselves already.

That said I have worries for the future, the RFU see us as upstart troublemakers, I dont see that changing so we cant expect any help from that direction. We dont have anything near the buying power of the big teams, and I doubt big name sponsors will be too keen on a team that they expect to lose every match and go down. Most of the good players have already been snapped up, our squad are great guys but it needs massive strengthening to reach prem standards.

Things to watch out for next year:
Steenson- youve seen what his boot can do, needs to work on marshalling and decision making with ball in hand. Danny Gray is better at that but cant kick for toffee
Our forwards are great but can get carried away and make silly handling errors
Chiefs dont do the cold. Any sub-tropical temperatures and we struggle. Our losing streak in Dec/Jan is emblamatic of that and cost us the top of the league.
'the tribe' supporters- you'll hear us coming...

All in all tho I cant wait 'Come on Exe!'

Last night was the worst I have felt in my may years of supporting my team, fact of the matter was we bottled it. Exeter obviousy wanted it more and, deservedly, won the game and good luck to them next year.

As for us we were naff, we tried to play too fancily. I was constantly shouting at us to play simple rugby, thats what Exeter were doing and it worked, we played as if it was a normal league game and it bit us hard on the keister. Heads will roll after this.

I got soaked in that rain but it was worth it. The entertainment value (that's what it's about after all) wasn't a fluke, I saw the Chiefs at Welford Road playing Notts earlier in the season and that was also a good spectacle. I do worry that Exe were naive in the first leg and that will be severly punished by the more street wise GP teams next season, they pushed the offside at the ruck to the limit in the second leg but I see that all the time in the current game.

Apart from a few grumpy old men who seemed to think that they only had to turn up to be promoted the Bris crowd were a great bunch and I hope they go back up next season to make it four top flight Westcountry teams in the GP.

Has anyone got a recording of the game? I am desperate to watch it back.

I'm really glad to see a south west team in the GP. Exeter have been there or thereabouts for about as long as i can remember when it concerned promotion, and i really glad to see a new face in GP. It will be damn tough, but Leeds have shown it can be done, so i'll be giving the Chiefs my support next season.

Compared to the job Exeter now have to do next season, Leeds survival last year was a cake walk. Whereas last year Worcester never once looked like a team interested in remaining in the top flight, I cannot think of anyone who's going to be a pushover this season (unless Sale and Newcastle both spectacularly implode, of course).

Exe have battles for many years now to achieve what they have, but now is when they'll discover just how difficult a job it is. The hard work hasn't even begun yet.

Latest posts