Lee Imiolek (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Marco Mama (Bristol Rugby)
Mark Bright (London Scottish)
Michael Holford (Nottingham Rugby)
Nick Fenton-Wells (Bedford Blues)
Ryan Bower (Worcester Warriors)
Ryan Burrows (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Tom Cruse (Rotherham ***ans)

Additional tight-head prop and second-row to be confirmed.

Backs
Dan Mugford (Nottingham Rugby)
Dougie Flockhart (Doncaster Knights)
Greg King (Moseley)
Jack Tovey (Bristol Rugby)
Lawrence Rayner (Plymouth Albion)
Michael Keating (Rotherham ***ans)
Miles Mantella (London Scottish)
Ryan Glynn (Jersey RFC)
Tom Kessell (Cornish Pirates)
Will Owen (Moseley)

Couple of ex-Sale academy players in there.

They should bring in Tom Holmes as the extra lock :D

Canadian side won't be chosen for a while, not until after the ARC and 2nd tier pro's are contacted for availability. Don't think we'll see many of the Tier one pro's suiting up for Canada in this one.

Should be a fun game to watch and to let the Canadian guys show what they can do against RFU Championship competition. Hopefully we get at least some Back released to play. Guys like Phil Mackenzie(he's only on Sales A team isn't he?), Taylor Paris and Matt Evans to help the likes of Gordie, Hearn, Trainor, *sigh* Nick Blevins and *shudder* Harry Jones. I think the ARC pack should be good without our pros for this game though depending on how they look against USA Selects and the Jaguars my tune might change. Let the fringe guys get a shot to show what they got against the Championship XV and Namibia and call in the big names for Samoa and Romania.

Phil Mackenzie(he's only on Sales A team isn't he?)
Unfortunately. I think he's good enough to have a real crack at the first team, but unfortunately being Canadian is counting against him as he counts as a foreign player. Injuries to certain players (and lack of depth in certain positions) mean we have to play foreigners there, whereas we have several English players that can come in on the wing or in the centres, so Phil falls to the side.

Canadian lineup named, basically around what the fanbase would have thought, interestingly Carpenter isn't in the lineup, and neither is Marshall maybe he's being rested for the tests. It's a very domestic lineup, with only five professionals in the starting XV with a few more on the bench.

Honestly don't know how this one is going to go, Canada isn't fielding a terrible lineup though not a great one either while the RFU championship side is a rep team and sometimes those gel together and sometimes the glue gets runny and they play like crap even though the talent is there. Canada appears to be using this as a warmup with the result being secondary to the development.

Canada

1- Hubert Buydens – Captain (Manawatu Turbos/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
2- Ray Barkwill – (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
3- Andrew Tiedemann – (Plymouth Albion/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
4- Tyler Hotson – (Doncaster Knights) Vancouver, BC
5- Brett Buekeboom – (Plymouth Albion) Lindsay, ON
6- Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
7- Nanyak Dala – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Regina, SK
8- John Moonlight – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
9- Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
10- Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL
11- Conor Trainor – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
12- Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
13- Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
14- Sean Duke – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
15- James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia

Bench

16- Ryan Hamilton – (Capilano RFC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
17- Doug Wooldridge – (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON
18- Jake Ilnicki – (NSW Country Eagles/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC
19- Jon Phelan – (Doncaster Knights/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
20- Seb Pearson – (London St. George's/Ontario Blues) London, ON
21- Sean White – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
22- Connor Braid – (Glasgow Warriors/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
23- Jordan Wilson-Ross – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Alliston, ON

Canadian lineup named, basically around what the fanbase would have thought, interestingly Carpenter isn't in the lineup, and neither is Marshall maybe he's being rested for the tests. It's a very domestic lineup, with only five professionals in the starting XV with a few more on the bench.

Honestly don't know how this one is going to go, Canada isn't fielding a terrible lineup though not a great one either while the RFU championship side is a rep team and sometimes those gel together and sometimes the glue gets runny and they play like crap even though the talent is there. Canada appears to be using this as a warmup with the result being secondary to the development.

Canada

1- Hubert Buydens – Captain (Manawatu Turbos/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
2- Ray Barkwill – (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
3- Andrew Tiedemann – (Plymouth Albion/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
4- Tyler Hotson – (Doncaster Knights) Vancouver, BC
5- Brett Buekeboom – (Plymouth Albion) Lindsay, ON
6- Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
7- Nanyak Dala – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Regina, SK
8- John Moonlight – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
9- Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
10- Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL
11- Conor Trainor – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
12- Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
13- Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
14- Sean Duke – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
15- James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia

Bench

16- Ryan Hamilton – (Capilano RFC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
17- Doug Wooldridge – (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON
18- Jake Ilnicki – (NSW Country Eagles/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC
19- Jon Phelan – (Doncaster Knights/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
20- Seb Pearson – (London St. George's/Ontario Blues) London, ON
21- Sean White – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
22- Connor Braid – (Glasgow Warriors/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
23- Jordan Wilson-Ross – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Alliston, ON

Should be an interesting game, hopefully it's too bad an hour for Canadians to see either. Apart from Buydens whose probably the only one there already pencilled in as RWC 2015 starter, most of those players should have something to prove and a chance for second stringers to put their name forward as a starter when the likes of Cudmore, DTH etc come back. With so many Canada based players, I wonder whether some scouts will be interested in this game as well. I wondered whether the Ospreys had someone at the ground that game Hassler completely destroyed Russia himself.

It's at a decent hour for us, though Canadian fans will have to find "alternative" viewing methods, since no one has picked up the rights from SKY to broadcast it officialy.

More worrying.....Canada vs. Namibia will apparently be not broadcasted in any form, which is utterly disgraceful, could be one of the least watched test matches in years, since it's likely to have fewer than a thousand fans at the game as well.

All things considered, not a bad squad. Glad they are giving some of our pros a rest, this is match for our domestic players to try to win overseas contracts.

In the RC press release, it lists Buydens as 'unattached'? Wonder if he is planning a move to Europe?

In the RC press release, it lists Buydens as 'unattached'? Wonder if he is planning a move to Europe?

They listed Braid as with Glasgow as well even though he was loaned to London Scottish and listed Phelan in the #23 jersey and Wilson-Ross at #19, which if true Crowley needs the heave ho NOW LOL.

They listed Braid as with Glasgow as well even though he was loaned to London Scottish and listed Phelan in the #23 jersey and Wilson-Ross at #19, which if true Crowley needs the heave ho NOW LOL.

Braid played with Glasgow today against Treviso. He got subbed on into the centers with like 7 minutes left. At least according to my phone updates.

Also according to my phone, Sinclair is listed as 8-Man tomorrow for London Irish after he's been playing Lock for most of his season. And Phil Mackenzie is listed as starting on the wing for Sale tomorrow against Wasps. Glad to see him getting some time with the big club, and uninjured, even if it's only an LV=Cup match.

Good to see Mackenzie back in the big club, he needs the game time. Sinclair at 8 is good too, he should be playing 6 or 8 all the time.

Thorpe isn't on the London Welsh gameday 23 last I checked. They are probably just giving him a rest. I'm betting it's the same reason Phil Mackenzie is listed tomorrow.

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...-lead-canada-on-european-rugby-tour-1.2079816

Buydens says he has to miss out on playing for Manawatu next year to prepare for the RWC. The article also says he'll look to play overseas after spending Christmas at home and if nothing turns up he'll head to Victoria. Marshall also seems to be out of Hawke's Bay next season for the same reasons according to a Hawke's Bay article.

Also read in a different article that Aaron Carpenter is going to miss the Championship XV and Namibia games because his wife is expecting. So it's a good shot for Barkwill and Hamilton to show Crowley and company what they have.

Last edited:
Fair enough about Marshall and Buydens, hopefully they get pro contracts after the AI, they should. Hamilton needs the game time to get back to fitness, he is our best hooker, just needs to stay healthy.

Yeah poor timing with the RWC and next year's ITM cup schedule, it looked like both Marshall and especially Buydens were fitting into the NZ rugby culture quite well. Buydens may get a look from some RFU clubs or D2 sides looking for cover especially if he continues to perform well in November. Not sure where Marshall goes from here, though I assume he'll take the same look for clubs that Buydens has.

I don't know how I feel about tomorrow's lineup. I do like the forwards but the backs aren't the best and could really go either way. I'm expecting a competitive game and can't wait for kick off.

I like this pack that Crowley is sending out and don't have much bad to say about them. Buydens is our best Loosehead and is coming off a damn good season with Manawatu. He's gunning for a job in Europe so I expect him to rain some hell down on the opposing forwards to leave an impression. Barkwill is alright I guess and with Carpenter being away for two weeks, he was pretty much guaranteed the starting Hooker job. He's old and not that impressive outside of CRC play but he should be a decent fill-in. Definitely would prefer him coming off the bench but that's not a luxury we have. Tiedemann over Ilnicki is the only real shock for me in the starting pack, though both are talented props for us. I'm assuming the fact Tiedemann has been playing in the Championship is the reason he gets the start. Ilnicki is still a pup and has a bright future so no reason to rush him right now. Wooldridge and Hamilton round out the front row but I don't expect either of them to get a lot of game time this tour. Maybe 10-15ish minutes each, not enough to really leave an impression.

Hotson, Buekeboom and Phelan are no strangers to Canadian fans but none of them are close to the Lock that Cudmore is. They are kinda lackluster and don't stand out but should hold their own. I mean they are Canadians playing in the English 2nd division so they are definitely talented. It helps that they are pushing behind a strong front row. Still, life after Cudmore could be rather unpleasant.

The Back row is probably the fastest group of forwards you'll ever find. Dala and Moonlight are key 7s players for us and Gilmour is a stud domestic flanker. They sit behind Sinclair, Ardron, and I guess now Thorpe, on the pecking order for Back row spots so they will be out there looking to leave an impact. I expect the three of them to be all over the field causing the Championship XV some real headaches. I'm definitely intrigued by the move of Moonlight from the Flank to 8-Man. After Ardron we don't have a clear cut 8-Man so this is a big opportunity for him. Can't wait to see how he does there. Pearson is kinda out of place at this level but we didn't have many other options and he was already in the UK with the Blues. I expect him to come on late, pushing Moonlight to the Flank and Dala to the bench.

McRorie should do a fine job at Scrum-Half for us. He's a smart player and a pretty good kicker. The only competition he has is from Mack and Mack is out hurt. God willing Gordie will play the full 80 and White doesn't get to touch the field. The Fly-Half position just keeps giving me nightmares. I really wish Crowley had slotted in Braid at Fly-Half over Parfrey. Both are better suited to the centers but Braid is just plain better than Parfrey. Centers could go either way. I like Hearn starting at 13 and think he's one of our best backs still though he's getting on in age. As for his partner, well I don't trust Blevins as far as I can throw him, and with the current state of my shoulder that ain't far. He hasn't looked good this year in the CRC or ARC nor has he impressed while playing for Canada. Crowley obviously sees something in him but I'm not sure what. I think Wilson-Ross is better at 15s than Duke and Trainor and should have got the start over one of them. That being said I'm not shocked JWR is starting on the bench. I also won't be shocked if the CXV abuse Canada along the outside. Then there's the Canadian god at Fullback, who though he's on his last legs, still has a great boot and is a smart player. I'll probably cry when Pritchard throws a saddle on Cudmore and rides off into the sunset after next fall.

Overall I have no problems with the pack either, as for the Backline, I would like to have seen Braid at 10 as well, but he did play (albeit limited minutes) last Friday.

Latest posts