• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU Championship XV vs Canada - 2/11/14 @ Sixways

Another loss, and all the usual issues resurfacing. I guess this isn't the end of the world, it was the developmental game of the tour. But still these losses are starting to really pile up now, and I have no idea what happens to this team after half time so often.
its ok its not like scotland in the six nations yet

I wish I could say I was surprised by the result, but I wasn't. Usual game, usual issues.

What the hell has happened the past year and a half?

Another 2nd half collapse from a Kieran Crowley coached team. Why fix your mistakes when you can continue with the form you've had over the last year, right. Why did I expect anything else from this group. Just stupid things cost Canada this game like they have all damn year. Like letting Barkwill play in the 2nd half. Also no idea why they went for a scrum at the end over a lineout either. Ya the missed conversion by McRorie was a killer but he had two tries this game so I'm not going to tear into him. I thought he was one of the better players.

Lots of big stupid errors......

1. The blocked conversion, could have salvaged a draw if not for that.(though agreed Beerfalo, McRorie was good otherwise so it feels harsh to single him out totally)

2. Barkwill ignoring the referee's instructions and taking a yellow.

3. Crowley not deploying the bench early enough.

4. Ridiculously taking the scrum option at the end when the lineout was working better.

5. Terrible suicide pass to Trainor at the end ruined our last real chance.

My quick thoughts. Most of the forwards went well, but it is curious to note that the Blues players played well in the CRC but I think have struggled in the ARC and this match. Hamilton, Braid and Wilson-Ross should have been brought in much sooner.

1. Buydens: 7, led well, scrummed well around the park well.
2. Barkwill: 3, line outs were okay (over threw once), but stupid play at the breakdown cost us for 10 minutes as well as a pointless knock on to restart the second half. Should not start next week or be on the bench(if Carpenter is available).
3. Tiedemann: 6, went well for the most part, his time overseas is finally making his live up to his promise.
4. Hotson: 6, subbed early, but was a little noticeable around the park.
5. Beukeboom 7, going to Europe has helped him develop a lot, getting around the park much more.
6. Gilmour 7, Played well, 6 is his position, but we have lots of depth there.
7. Dala 8, Canada's second best player, think he only made one mistake all match, should start at 7 next week.
8. Moonlight, 6, not a bad effort, but might be feeling the pinch if Ardron gets healthy and Dala keeps the 7 position.

9. McRorie, 8 only back the played extremely well, scored 2 tries, but had a costly charge down.
10. Parfrey 5, thought he ran well at the line, didn't distribute the best, plus had a charge down that could have been costly.
11. Trainor 6, D was fairly good, didn't get involved enough in the match.
12. Blevins 5, D was alright but didn't involve the wingers enough.
13. Hearn 5, Again D was alright some decent runs, but need to involve the outside backs.
14. Duke 5, D fine, but didn't see enough ball.
15. Prtichard, 6, missed some easy points, ran and kicked fairly well otherwise.

16. Hamilton, 6 should have been on sooner.
17. Wooldridge N/A don't think he got on.
18. Ilnicki, 7, Being in Aus will help him immensely.
19. Phelan, 6, got involved and did well. If he and Beuekeboom can get to the next level, we will be okay at lock.
20. Pearson N/A
21. White N/A
22. Braid, 6 came on too late, had some decent runs, but threw a bad pass to Trainor while we were on attack late.
23. Wilson-Ross, 6 should have come on sooner.

Pretty much my exact ratings as well canadafan, no one besides Barkwill was truly dire but hardly anyone stood out as playing that well either.

Don't think they'll be many survivours of this lineup against Namibia. Buydens, Pritchard, McRorie and maybe Hotson and Hearn + one of the loosies are likely to start next week.

Dala should be 7, he is the one that I think moved up pecking order. My line up for Namibia (if all are healthy)

1. Buydens
2. Carpenter (or Hamilton)
3. Marshall
4. Cudmore (if Avaiblable, if not Hotson)
5. Beubkeboom
6. Sinclair
7. Dala
8. Ardron (or Thorpe, if he is still hurt)

9. McRorie
10. Braid
11. Paris
12. Trainor
13. DTH
14. Hassler
15. Pritchard

16. Hamilton (or Barkwill)
17. Ilnicki
18. Tiedemann
19. Hotson (or PHelan)
20. Thorpe (Gilmour/Moonlight)
21. White
22. Hearn
23. Parfrey (someone has to cover 10) or Wilson-Ross (if they want to risk McRorie as 10 cover)

I was thinking, for next week, I would probably go with a Parfrey (10) and Braid (12) combo. Don't think Parfrey was that bad today and we need centre who know how to pass to our back 3. I think that was one of our big weaknesses in our backline today.

The lineup you are likely to see assuming everyone not injured is available.

1. Buydens
2. Carpenter
3. Marshall
4. Cudmore
5. Hotson
6. Sinclair
7. Thorpe
8. Moonlight

9. McRorie
10. Parfrey
11. Paris
12. Braid
13. DTH
14. Hassler
15. Pritchard

16. Barkwill
17. Ilnicki
18. Tiedemann
19. Buekeboom
20. Moonlight
21. White
22. Hearn
23. Trainor

Mackenzie seems to have fallen out of favour of the selectors. He wasn't selected at all in June so I'm not sure that that will be any different now.

I suspect we will see a lot of Thorpe this tour. If they are serious about him that have to find out what he is going to bring to the side so look for him to have the wheels played off him.

After Barkwell's debacle today they will looking at Carpenter in earnest this November. He's regularly starting there for the pirates so that should alleviate everyone concerns at that spot. He provides impact off the bench but is incapable when expected to play 60 minutes.

The BIGGEST concern is Fly half/inside centre. There is really no clear winner at either position and no one has demonstrated any competence. Parfrey is not good enough and simply doesn't have the vision for this level. He's fine at CRC level but that is the end of his utility. Braid could be the answer but he just doesn't have the experience and doesn't get game time there. He's been playing in the centres with LS and except for a few minutes with Glasgow in exhibition has played there in a 15's game in ages.

The outside backs pick themselves.

MacKenzie ruled himself out of selection over the summer as he was rehabbing and also got married.

Braid has mostly played 12 for both LS and Glasgow, so I think he will end up there. Honestly, other than that one charge down, Parfrey wasn't that bad today. He made two good breaks at 10 and made good metres(one nearly resulted in him scoring a try), but both time failed to find his support runners once he got into contact.

MacKenzie ruled himself out of selection over the summer as he was rehabbing and also got married.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Jamie Mackenzie(the little brother) not Phil Mackenzie(the older brother). Jamie is a subpar scrum-half now who is only on the touring roster because Mack is hurt. If Phil Mackenzie ever makes himself available again I'm sure he'll be in contention for a starting role in the centers. That would free up Braid to move to Fly-Half. If not starting he'd most likely get on the bench over the likes of Trainor and Blevins, who he's better than.

I'd love to see our main backs next year in England as:
9) Gordie McRorie
10) Conor Braid
11) Taylor Paris
12) Phil Mackenzie
13) DTH van der Merwe
14) Jeff Hassler
15) James Pritchard(nostalgia)

With Phil Mack, Ciaran Hearn and Matt Evans(though he should probably start at 15) on the bench.

Last edited:
Think Pritch will probably start at least two games, I'd start him against Romania and Italy in 2015, these will be teams where his goalkicking will be highly valued, the other two perhaps a bench role or just playing 40-50, I think he still has tons to offer us, but he'll have to be managed for 4 games in 17 days.

Braid possibly, coming back to Richmond in January, or so I've heard.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put it past Mike Friday, DoR at Scottish, although as USA 7's coach as well we're more likely to see some Eagles landing. We seem to have been a one Canuck at a time club for the last 5 seasons (Kleeburger > Hotson > Braid)

As of yesterday Conor Braid is now back with us as a permanent signing from Warriors. He'll be turning out for us in the B&I Cup match against Bristol at Ashton Gate on Friday night.

I wouldn't put it past Mike Friday, DoR at Scottish, although as USA 7's coach as well we're more likely to see some Eagles landing. We seem to have been a one Canuck at a time club for the last 5 seasons (Kleeburger > Hotson > Braid)

As of yesterday Conor Braid is now back with us as a permanent signing from Warriors. He'll be turning out for us in the B&I Cup match against Bristol at Ashton Gate on Friday night.

I thought you can only have two overseas foreign players which Canadians and Americans fall under. At least that's what the Doncaster boss said when he tried to bring in Buydens alongside Phelan and Hotson during the summer but wasn't allowed.

I am glad to see Braid back with London Scottish, even if it's away from Glasgow. Definitely better for him and Canada if he's playing pro instead of with our 7s program or playing in the CDI Premier League. Would he be getting any time at Fly-Half at all(cause he REALLY needs it) or is he destined for the centers(where he is a better fit)?

Only two foreign players in the match day squad - not the wider training squad.

He's starting for us at 10 tomorrow night. I'd say our league squad is a bit oversubscribed in that position, but like the rest of them he's likely to be regarded as a utility back. He came on late at left wing in his last game for us against Connacht Eagles in Galway in October, not very successfully, as we lost 2 tries down his wing in the last 4 mins. Having said that he scored a couple of cracking tries against Plymouth in his first game for us from reserve centre. Tomorrow and next week against Pontypridd should be a great chance for him and our other new loanee arrivals Matt Hawke from Brumbies and Chris Auld from Edinburgh to impress ahead of our return to league action against Worcester.

Last edited:
Hmm, you sure? we've got 4 in our starting 15 tomorrow. Braid (Can), Walker (NZ), Hawke (Aus), Tuisamoa (USA)

Latest posts