• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU chief reveals plan for NFL-style top flight with two leagues of eight teams and a Grand Final

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
From the Mail:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...t-two-leagues-eight-Grand-Final-play-off.html

Radical proposals to turn the Premiership into a two-league conference system have been made by interim RFU CEO Nigel Melville.

The structure would involve two leagues of eight teams, which come together for a Grand Final play-off.

The A League could be scrapped and fewer games would ease the workload on players. The NFL, Super Rugby and the Pro14 already operate under a similar format and Melville said: 'A conference structure with two eights would give you a true geographic spread. We have looked at it before.

'Traditionally everyone said no because you might lose your regular game against Leicester — a sell-out — but maybe we've moved on from that.

'Sometimes less is more. Do we really need the Anglo Welsh Cup? Are the A League and the Championship doing the same thing? Do we need them? Do we need 1200 professional players? New Zealand's got five franchises of 30-plus ITM Cup guys so that's 200 to 300 professional players.'

**** conferences.

As much as I dislike unnecessary complexity.... I ******* hate the season being too long, full of too many meaningless cup games, and the threat of relegation.

'Sometimes less is more. Do we really need the Anglo Welsh Cup? Are the A League and the Championship doing the same thing? Do we need them? Do we need 1200 professional players? New Zealand's got five franchises of 30-plus ITM Cup guys so that's 200 to 300 professional players.'

I can't find anything in that statement to disagree with.

As much as I dislike unnecessary complexity.... I ******* hate the season being too long, full of too many meaningless cup games, and the threat of relegation.

I can't find anything in that statement to disagree with.

disagree about the A league would love a proper one.

Personally I feel that England should have 10 Pro teams.

2 leagues of 8? Absolutely fine, and something I've been calling for (more or less) for over a decade.
Conferences can sod right off though. What's wrong with meritocracy in sport?

My thing is who comes up and how would the academies areas be split?

Edit: Also
'Traditionally everyone said no because you might lose your regular game against Leicester — a sell-out — but maybe we've moved on from that.

giphy.gif

It feels good to be wanted.

I would rather the prem was made smaller myself and stick to the current format. Then the championship sides can gain a regular game against Leicester!

Keep the same. The current format is fine. Even the 1 up, 1 down. And while i am at it, Keep the European comps the same. I really enjoy them. Every game i have seen this week as been such good entertainment. Too much change can devalue.

IF they are completely separate the country NO, but if they have cross conference games, surely, that would keep it at 22 games, (14 conference, 8 cross over)
Maybe 4 divisions of 4 would be better, 6 division games and 12 cross over.

Everyone plays everyone at least once and then there are, extra derby games set up.

Play offs could be division winners plus best 2 records. 3 consecutive weeks, followed by a week off then the grand final.
Total of 23 rounds allocated

A big part of the problem is player welfare; with another significant issue being too many clashes between Prem and International.
Neither of those will be solved by keeping the same number of first XV matches.

A big part of the problem is player welfare; with another significant issue being too many clashes between Prem and International.
Neither of those will be solved by keeping the same number of first XV matches.
True, I would love to have a season where internationals and club were completely separate, but it will not happen as clubs do not want less fixtures, (a very British problem of more means more, rather than the NFL, where less means more) and the unions will not move the international fixtures to suit.

How about the internationals played in August-October, (including RWC, and 6N), domestic game starting in NH at beginning of November, playing up to end of May. Leaving June and July free for NH.

As me and my boi Tigs have been saying for ages:

Bin off the prem cup, have a fully fledged A League (with proper rulings on it, so everyone has to be under 23 or you can only have 2 players with more than 10 senior caps or whatever)

You'd get a few more weeks rest, and younger players get more regular rugby to make the step up between amateur and senior pro

As I and a few others have been saying for a decade or so...
Reduce the Prem to 8/10 teams, with another 10 in the Champ - ring-fence between Champ and NL1.
Boost the AWC to include all 18-20 English clubs; in an orthodox format (with Cup, Plate and Bowl finals for extra games); with the prem clubs limited to no first XV players (anyone who played >60% of the previous season). Play that domestic cup competition during all international weekends. Split Sponsorship deals more evenly between that top 18-20 clubs; with a TV that necessitates coverage of the championship.

Boosts player welfare, as the starters are given rest weekends; and gives the backups a chance to challenge for a place.
Boosts the quality of the prem by cutting any deadwood there is to cut.
Boosts the quality of the Championship by replacing 4-6 poorest quality clubs with 2-4 premiership quality ones.
Reduces the impact of relegation, protecting investment, by introducing ring-fencing (just not at the level the top 12 clubs want).
Boosts income for the Champ by adding TV coverage (and consequent sponsorship and fan-base), adding big-name opponents to the league, and adding giant-killing opportunities in the cup.

The only cost is game-time for the first XV; but there is simply no way to reduce game-time which doesn't include a reduction in game-time. This is a good thing for everyone except the club owners, who really ought to see it as a good thing as well; they've just proven that they don't.

As I have been saying since literally this second bin the Powergen and start a conferenced league.

I think the pro14 has gotten better since the conference system was implemented. Games against conference rivals are obviously more important than a regular season game in the past while inter conference games take on more of a meaning because you'll only play that side once in a season.

14-16 teams will mean that there is a gulf between the best and worst sides and that allows you to rest your internationals and best players and attendences won't stop over the course of the season because the bigger games will be of better quality with rested players and attract more fans.

But what I think is most important regardless of how you do it is that prem clubs learn that a rugby season is a season where you're going to need 40+ players, putting out your best 23 week after week is ineffective and proves nothing. Even if it means throwing games away to the best teams it still makes more sense tham to play your players until they break.

Rugby League is always changing. Licensing. Middle 8s. Back to 1 up, 1 down. For their promotions. It devalues. Union is the best game. No need to tamper.

As I have been saying since literally this second bin the Powergen and start a conferenced league.

I think the pro14 has gotten better since the conference system was implemented. Games against conference rivals are obviously more important than a regular season game in the past while inter conference games take on more of a meaning because you'll only play that side once in a season.

14-16 teams will mean that there is a gulf between the best and worst sides and that allows you to rest your internationals and best players and attendences won't stop over the course of the season because the bigger games will be of better quality with rested players and attract more fans.

But what I think is most important regardless of how you do it is that prem clubs learn that a rugby season is a season where you're going to need 40+ players, putting out your best 23 week after week is ineffective and proves nothing. Even if it means throwing games away to the best teams it still makes more sense tham to play your players until they break.
What your saying is does boys across the water not only want to avoid Brexit. But they want ro copy us and look up to us.
The Pro14 leading the way.
#TheGreatestLeagueEver

Let's make the league 4 teams
Tigers (Midlands)
Newcaslte (North)
Exeter (South West)
Saracens (South East/London)

And join one mega league with the Celtic league and SA teams!!!!!

Latest posts