RFU show how they're short-sighted idiots once again

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
The Rugby Football Union would block proposals to expand the Guinness Premiership from 12 to 14 clubs.
Premier Rugby (PRL) confirmed over the weekend that talks have begun over the possibility of adding two clubs to the Premiership, a move which would be funded by the league's next television deal.
The thorny issue of ending promotion and relegation by ring-fencing the Premiership has also reportedly been up for discussion - but any changes would have to be approved by the RFU.
Twickenham have always considered promotion and relegation to be sacrosanct and reminded Premier Rugby that the concept remains enshrined in the eight-year deal, which runs until 2016.
And there is currently little interest at the RFU in backing an expanded Premiership.
"Making a change of this nature is not a decision for PRL and its broadcasters to make - it would require RFU approval and that is unlikely to be forthcoming at the current time," said a Twickenham spokesman.
"The concept of relegation and promotion is legally enshrined in the eight-year agreement between PRL, its clubs and the RFU which lasts through until 2016."
Reports have stated that Premier Rugby would consider dropping the LV= Cup, the Anglo-Welsh competition which this season went into a confusing conference format.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3823_6120503,00.html

MEANWHILE:

Phil Vickery has backed the idea of an expanded fourteen-team Guinness Premiership - but he does not want to see the end of promotion and relegation.

The Wasps and England veteran believes an extended league campaign would solve the problem of too many meaningless matches cluttering up the season.
Vickery's comments were an implied criticism of the LV= Cup, the Anglo-Welsh competition, which was controversially revamped this season.
Premier Rugby confirmed over the weekend that talks are under way about the possibility of expanding the Premiership from 12 to 14 teams.
Vickery hails from Cornwall and he would relish the chance for a team like Exeter to establish a Premiership presence in the south-west.
"I would like to see a few more teams come up. Growing up in the south-west, an hour away from Exeter, if Jonny Wilkinson or Danny Cipriani was coming to play at Exeter you would be there like a shot," said Vickery.
"It is crying out for that kind of thing. I think it would be great. There is always trade-off. Do you cap it? Do you stop the opportunity of a club living the dream and getting into the Premiership?
"I am in favour of getting Exeter up and Worcester back and getting more teams in the Premiership but I don't want to get rid of relegation."
The Rugby Football Union have stamped on rumours of an end to promotion and relegation, issuing a firm reminder that it remains part of their agreement with the Premiership until 2016.
Premier Rugby, encouraged by growing crowd figures, want to expand the number of teams in the top flight in the hope of agreeing an improved television deal when the contract is next up for negotiation in 2013.
One argument against expansion with the season in its current format is the additional burden on players and clubs' resources caused by extra matches in an already packed schedule.
Reports have stated that Premier Rugby would consider dropping the LV= Cup.
Vickery indicated he would prefer more league fixtures at the expense of the Anglo-Welsh competition, which this season went into a confusing conference format and can lead to dead matches.
"Without wanting to cause too much controversy, there are quite a lot of games throughout the season which don't actually mean anything," said Vickery.
"I am sure there is a way of incorporating some meaningful rugby into the season."
Vickery hopes to start his first game since recovering from a neck operation when Wasps tackle Cardiff Blues in Saturday's Amlin Challenge Cup semi-final at Adams Park.
There were times when Vickery was uncertain whether he would make it back after the fourth neck operation of his career.
But he appeared off the bench against Worcester and Bath in recent weeks and vowed his desire to play for England burns as brightly as ever.
The summer tour to Australia and New Zealand may come too soon. But that would allow Vickery to complete a full pre-season with a view to playing in a fourth World Cup.
"I am 70 minutes back from having pretty major surgery and ending the season on a high with Wasps is all I have thought about - but I am never not available for England," said Vickery.
"I wouldn't be here if I didn't have the hunger to do that.
"If I get to go away with England then fantastic. If not then it isn't the end of the world. I am still enjoying it here and if someone wants to make use of me then great."
Asked about the World Cup, he said: "I have to get through the end of this season first and then another pre-season, which will be an achievement in itself!
"But where there is a will, there's a way and I don't think that ever changes."

I reckon they should expand it and get rid of the Anglo-Welsh Cup

If done properly, the Anglo-Welsh cup could be fantastic. I say add two more teams in, but keep the cup. And restore it to it's former kinda-glory. Actually, I just liked gonig to the 'Two-Games-In-One!' Semi-Finals. If there was a Welsh team in, my family always went together. It was great stuff. I loved it. Boo to the LV= Cup!

**** the Anglo-Welsh bullshit off (and the equally bullshit Anglo-Irish) and bring back the proper knockout cup.

Why is Phil Vickery's opinion on the matter any more important than Mark Evans'?:
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?17795-Rugby-union-s-brave-new-world

Others remain unconvinced that domestic expansion is the answer. "I feel quite strongly that, in the long run, the number of Premiership clubs will reduce," predicts Mark Evans, the Harlequins chief executive.

If the Premiership increases the number of teams, I hope it succeeds (there'll be more games shown on ESPN and Sky Sports) but I have my doubts. Adding 4 extra games to the schedule will increase the quantity of games rather than the quality. To be blunt, Newcastle, Leeds and Worcester are bad teams. How will adding, say, Bristol and Exeter help improve the quality? The answer is that it won't and it will only further dilute the talent among Premiership teams. The RFU are right to question the need for an expanded Premiership.

There was an Anglo-Irish cup?
I presume he means the British & Irish Cup between the Irish provincial A teams, a couple of Scottish clubs and their academy selection, the English Championship teams and the top Welsh clubs. Munster A and Cornish Pirates will contest the inaugural final.

I presume the reason for adding more teams is to get more England potential players exposed to a higher level of rugby. Im only in favour of this because the likes of London Welsh could gain promotion within the next couple of seasons. I don't think dropping relegation and promotion is the best thing either. Need the league to be competitive, otherwise people won't care for being bottom ... and what I mean by that there be no pressure to avoid relegation.

London Welsh won't get promotion in a month of Sundays. Pirates, Exeter, Nottingham, Worcester, Next-relegated-team, Bedford and Coventry (assuming they can find some money) are all a million time better; Ospreys kids & Journeymen or not.

I presume the reason for adding more teams is to get more England potential players exposed to a higher level of rugby.
I see the logic behind it but I believe that there isn't enough top English talent to warrant 14 teams ( I don't believe any country has the talent to sustain 14 quality pro teams). Instead of giving young unproven players a chance clubs would load their teams with players from South Africa, New Zealand, Oz and the South Sea islands.

I think that if you are going to have relegation/promotion that they should have more than 12 teams i mean even the SH comp has more than that. I'm sure there are teams that could easily fill the two added spots and you could have at the second tier level say 2nd to 5th a playoff to see who gets the second spot its worked well in football and you can have the final at twickers and make it a big event.

Latest posts