• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rhys Priestland?

Terry Holmes used to kick for Wales. Does that take away from the outside half playing at the time?

I'm personally of an opinion that having the kicking duties fall on a player with less pressure on him already makes sense. The outside half already has the pressure of controlling the game, making the decision of when to pass, run or kick etc. There is less pressure on the rest of the backline. If a winger can kick like Halfpenny it makes sense to me to hand him the kicking duties. Some outside halves gain confidence from their kicking, thus propelling the rest of their game, but some don't, and imo Priestland falls into the second category. He's a confidence kicker, but tis aspect of his game has never influenced the rest of his game.

Spread the responsibilities. Anyone know why it always seems to be the 10 who kicks (apart from in France where the 9 is usually the kicker)? It's never been clear to me. If all players practised their goal kicking from a young age, then maybe more wingers, centres, fullbacks, or even some forwards whould have the kicking duties. As it is, I suppose only the outside half practises kicking in youth/amateur level.

Don't ever recall Holmes kicking for goal with either Cardiff, Wales or the Lions.

If Priestland is fit he plays right now. As good a servant Stephen Jones was, the Welsh public (& backline) have been waiting for someone who can pick a pass from first receiver for years.

I honestly think the only thing he struggles with is place kicking. A balanced runner, decent tackler, great passer (long and short) and I think his kicking from hand is in advance of every other 10 in the 6N (a kick doesn't need to find touch to be a good kick... particularly with our line out).

I'm going to get slightly ahead of myself here and lob Matthew Morgan's name into the debate. He won't play in this year's competition, clearly, but if you're looking for a flair player to get the back division really firing he's a name to look out for in the next couple of years.

I'm still not sure where I stand with James Hook to be honest. He's obviously got something about him, but it's not been working out for Wales (or when he was at the Ospreys) recently. I liked the Scotland arrangement with Halfpenny taking place kicks. I've a sneaky suspicion he started kicking for the Blues with half an eye on the national side. I think Rhys was excellent in the World Cup and I'm confident he'll come up trumps again in this championships.

whether Priestland is having an off-day or an on-day isn't much of an issue! Halfpenny has demonstrated an ice cold temperament when it comes to goal kicking, so let him take the kicks, simples.

Not you too!I always get Terry Holmes and Paul Thorburn mixed up, funny that.

Latest posts