• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Richie McCaw retires! os sad to see a living legend go. What a man!

PacDuran

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Big hole left in international rugby. What an absolutely legend he is and has been. The Page has truly turned to a new chapter of rugby with all these greats leaving us. There won't be another Richie McCaw for a long time.

Great career RM and sorry to see you go but pretty glad really as it may stop all the petty arguments....now there is a compliment!!

Good luck in the future and thanks for the memories!

Possibly a once in a lifetime player, achieved a hell of a lot in the game. Happy for him that he's retiring as a chopper pilot down in Christchurch and pursuing his personal interests, good on him.

What a player! Wishing him all the best for the future, I will miss him.

Man, it feels like this week is the Darkest week in Rugby... First a legend dies, and now another one retires.

It's certainly an end of an era for New Zealand Rugby, with both Carter and Mccaw now retired, as well as the others like Nonu and Woodcock.

I think the only positive thing to take out of this as a Springbok fan, is that we won't have that psychological threat of Mccaw in the back of our minds when we play the All Blacks, how minute that may be...

What a legend. He could not have ended his career any better: winning the RWC for a second time as captain and going out in his terms.

Man, it feels like this week is the Darkest week in Rugby... First a legend dies, and now another one retires.

It's certainly an end of an era for New Zealand Rugby, with both Carter and Mccaw now retired, as well as the others like Nonu and Woodcock.

I think the only positive thing to take out of this as a Springbok fan, is that we won't have that psychological threat of Mccaw in the back of our minds when we play the All Blacks, how minute that may be...

Was thinking the same thing.

All Blacks will finally be without McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith, Woodcock and Keven Mealamu for the first time since 2001 (or 1999 in terms of NZ rugby). It's somewhat ironic that the only All Blacks (McCaw, Woodcock and Mealamu) who had played for the All Blacks alongside Lomu - retired from rugby in the same year.

Really powerful image from the Irish examiner on Lomu's passing - that describes how I feel at the moment:

AllBlacksFernJonahLomuExaminer_large.jpg

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/a-tribute-to-jonah-lomu-1975-2005-365802.html

Last edited:
McCaw and Carter are the two players who sit on the Mount Rushmore of rugby greats. Phenomenal player and superb longevity.

Mixed feelings about this, I never liked McCaw but obviously he's a great player. I think his biggest quality was just how hard he worked, he wasn't as gifted or as skilled as a lot of the players he played with in NZ but he worked so much harder on the pitch and I can only assume it was the same off it, he was one of the hardest most tenacious men to ever step foot on a rugby pitch and the sport is much better for having him. New Zealand were what they have been the last 6 years because of him, all the other players were replaceable but if they didn't have McCaw they'd have at least one less World Cup. Good luck in retirement and thank God I don't have to see your stupid hair on a rugby pitch again.

Mixed feelings about this, I never liked McCaw but obviously he's a great player. I think his biggest quality was just how hard he worked, he wasn't as gifted or as skilled as a lot of the players he played with in NZ but he worked so much harder on the pitch and I can only assume it was the same off it, he was one of the hardest most tenacious men to ever step foot on a rugby pitch and the sport is much better for having him. New Zealand were what they have been the last 6 years because of him, all the other players were replaceable but if they didn't have McCaw they'd have at least one less World Cup. Good luck in retirement and thank God I don't have to see your stupid hair on a rugby pitch again.

Come on man... your splitting hairs....

Only fitting way for him to go out, with his hands on Bill.

Amazing career. Will be interesting how he goes if he ever tries coaching.

Wikipedia shows that from 2001 he played 145 times for the Crusaders and 148 times for the ABs! Anyone got any idea what that ratio was in the last 6 years or so?

Legend of the game. He defined the Number 7 in the modern game. Have to admire his statement too where he said chasing the money abroad never appealed to him. Loyalty personified.

Absolute legend of a player, doubt we'll see his like again, definitely met his goal of going down as a great All Black, sad to see him go.

On the plus side maybe now all these top All Blacks have gone maybe we'll stand a chance when we tour there next year.

Go well Ritchie and Compadres. Thanks for entertaining us for all these years. We will miss you.

- - - Updated - - -

Strange. With NZ you never know. ZinZan? Brilliant. RMC (ready mixed concrete? lol. Sorry could not let that go!) Brilliant and "durable". We loved to hate him. Like that Ian chappie. Fitsp..... something. Think he was a hooker. In rugby! I agree with you.

Cheating ****! Glad to see the back of him......;)

That wasn't cheating, that was him getting work experience.

You may be aware that Ritchie is a shareholder at Christchurch Helicopters where is working towards getting a commercial pilots licence with a view to commercial flying as a career path. Well, flying helicopters for a living is the perfect career move for Ritchie and one in which he already has experience.... to get into a helicopter you have to enter from the side!

Got to think of a new drinking game now, though ;)

What a captain.
What a player.
What an engine.
What a ginormous pain in the backside for every team he ever played against.
What a glory to hear his name taken in vain at his retirement, that means he did his job better than anyone else.

Thank you so much for destroying utterly the myth about France and RWC quarter finals 62-13 a world record unlikely to ever be repeated.
Thank you so much for exploding the myth that the All Blacks couldn't win a RWC away from home.
Thank you so much for making the All Blacks the first team to win 3 RWC's
Thank you so much for making the All Blacks the first team to win back to back RWC's
Memories we will treasure forever in the All Blacks trophy room.
All the best Richie, a champion and a decent bloke.

That wasn't cheating, that was him getting work experience.

You may be aware that Ritchie is a shareholder at Christchurch Helicopters where is working towards getting a commercial pilots licence with a view to commercial flying as a career path. Well, flying helicopters for a living is the perfect career move for Ritchie and one in which he already has experience.... to get into a helicopter you have to enter from the side!

Hahahaha a;ways in from the side, no matter what he does.

Latest posts