• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ring fencing premiership and championship

Gearing up for the ospreys merger/to join the URC?

If it does go ahead I wonder what will happen with Ealing's academy - RFU aren't going to want a WRU academy in London, will they make it so RFU registered players have no pathway into it?

If it does go ahead I wonder what will happen with Ealing's academy - RFU aren't going to want a WRU academy in London, will they make it so RFU registered players have no pathway into it?

Already 13 wru academies in england

Already 13 wru academies in england
Oh really? Did not know that, I thought they just had the exiles program with is more like an invitational than a traditional academy

Edit: unless I've been whooshed and you mean the Prem sides feeding Wales...which seems probable now

Last edited:
Myself and the good Mrs TS went to watch Coventry in Saturday. Had a nice day, Cov won, had a few pints and a curry on the way home.

Watching the end the of Sale V Series game yesterday and the Prem table popped up with Bath sat routed to the bottom. Mrs TS remarked that next season if Bath were relegated and we could go and watch Cov down there and make a weekend of it. I replied:

"Ah it won't happen"
"So teams don't get relegated from the Premiership?"
"They do sometimes but there isn't anyone to promote"
"Why not?"
"Because to be in the premiership your ground has to meet certain specifications"
"Oh, so Baths ground meets those but Ealing's and Jerseys doesn't?"
"Shall we watch Googlebox?"

Has anyone seen the RFL and IMG system for Super League franchises.
At the moment clubs seem to be warming to the grading criteria.

The RFU could just let Ealing in the premiership? I know that's a bit radicle but the premiership is 2 teams light

I do kinda agree but apparently the ground limits are tied into Prem Rugby's status as a top tier sport (can't remember the exact terminology, but it's to do with government recognition and insurance etc.)
They've now severely relaxed ground requirements for promotion and Ealing still didn't meet them - if Doncaster can meet the new requirements then moneybags Ealing definitely should be able to

I question whether they actually want to be promoted or just want to kick up a fuss - the whole ground share thing last season was dodgy (applied for promotion, were told no and that they'd need to ground share, appealed and lost the appeal, then went in the press and said they have a ground share lined up and the RFU are the big baddies - but they didn't put the groundshare in their application or appeal)

Looks like teams are wanting a 10 team league now, to prevent any games during the International period.

As The Times has reported, a ten-team Premiership is seen as the new nirvana. "It changes everything," Lance Bradley, the Gloucester chief executive, said. "Your senior team only plays outside of international windows, it's much better for England and other unions as you haven't got conflict between club and country, it's better for fans, we will get a better TV deal if it's not clashing with internationals. Everything wins. Bluntly, it means the central distributions are divided by ten, not 13, which they used to. That has quite a big impact."

I mean 10 team league would be the best, but only if a 10 team championship with a play off game at the end of season between the winners and bottom of the league.

20 teams
11 - Prem teams
Wasps
with Ealing, Doncaster, Jersey, Bedford, Coventry, Cornish Pirates, Caldy + Richmond (All have grounds of 4K or more)

Looks like teams are wanting a 10 team league now, to prevent any games during the International period.

As The Times has reported, a ten-team Premiership is seen as the new nirvana. "It changes everything," Lance Bradley, the Gloucester chief executive, said. "Your senior team only plays outside of international windows, it's much better for England and other unions as you haven't got conflict between club and country, it's better for fans, we will get a better TV deal if it's not clashing with internationals. Everything wins. Bluntly, it means the central distributions are divided by ten, not 13, which they used to. That has quite a big impact."

I mean 10 team league would be the best, but only if a 10 team championship with a play off game at the end of season between the winners and bottom of the league.

20 teams
11 - Prem teams
Wasps
with Ealing, Doncaster, Jersey, Bedford, Coventry, Cornish Pirates, Caldy + Richmond (All have grounds of 4K or more)
Scrap Wasps and put in Nottingham and that would be fine

20 teams
11 - Prem teams
Wasps
Sense at last!
It's only taken 16 years

How about adding the 4 Welsh Regions to the Championship with promotion up and down? That would bring back Anglo/Welsh fixtures with reasonable travel distances for players and fans, whils also closing the gap that currently exists between prem and championship.

The boardroom in Premiership clubs continually don't get it.

Look at the URC - when are youngsters typically first blooded? Yep - those pesky international windows!

Instead, they seek to flog the same old first team week-in, week-out; then wondering why they can't grow local players and have to keep bringing in expensive foreign talent which are then flogged to get their money's worth out of them and repeat ad nauseum.

Injury to those ahead of them opening opportunities for younger players isn't really an attractive development route from where I sit.

How about adding the 4 Welsh Regions to the Championship with promotion up and down? That would bring back Anglo/Welsh fixtures with reasonable travel distances for players and fans, whils also closing the gap that currently exists between prem and championship.
Not sure the Welsh regions would go for that if it meant missing out on European rugby

Latest posts