• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RIP Diego Maradona

Saw him going mental in the stands at Argentina vs Namibia game in the '15 world cup,

Don't follow football at all but I know how much of a legend of the sport he is,
RIP

I believe you mean well, and in such case, thanks, appreciated.

Just as a tip for the future, i wouldn't use that song given the occasion. I personally find it borderline insulting and I'm pretty sure i wouldn't be the only one.

I believe you mean well, and in such case, thanks, appreciated.

Just as a tip for the future, i wouldn't use that song given the occasion. I personally find it borderline insulting and I'm pretty sure i wouldn't be the only one.
Easy mate. I think Argentina have found their generation's Eva Peron. Sorry if you took offence - none was intended. Sure he was an icon, but he was ultimately flawed.

The outpouring of grief reminds me of the death of Diana back in 1997 from the pics/vids from Argentina. All very mawkish.

He lived his life as he chose to and to the full and achieved greatness when he was alive on the pitch . But ultimately likely contributed to his early death. He was no saint and that's why Argentina loved him.

I dont need to ease anything. I saw two ways of reading your post, gave you the benefit of doubt, and told you to be careful when using precisely because even though your intentions might be good, the message might not.
I even thanked you.

Sorry if you took offence - none was intended.
Please, do not apologize. You did nothing wrong. You were just unaware of part of the context. No big deal. I felt no offense but i thought to myself "if i were in his shoes, i'd rather know", so i told you. That's it. What i wanted to come across as explanatory might have sounded defensive. It wasn't.

RIP to the legend. Had his Demons but my god what a gifted player. The Hand of God is remembered obviously but lets not forget his other goal and the skill.

Probably the 1 person you can use as an example of how to live your life and how not to live your life.
But behind it all was said to be a gentleman

This might be a cultural thing, but is it common practice to talk crap about someone who just died when all the people who loved him are still mourning?
I can't help wondering if people were talking about how Diana "took" Charles from her sister or about her eating disorders when she was being mourned. How about how she dated drug addicts?
I sincerely hope those weren't the main talking points.

I can understand the impulse if we are talking about a career criminal or a mass murderer, but we are talking about a guy who took non-performance-enhancing drugs, shouted a lot and broke rules arguably just as often as any other player of his generation. He just inexplicably got away with it on a colossal stage.
He never, not once, claimed to be a moral example of anything.
An accidental student of Kipling, he is probably a landmark example of treating both imposters just the same. He talked with beggars the same way he did with popes and kings.

The oddest thing about this post is that more often than not i find myself in the opposite camp when talking about him with other Argentines.
I could even see the argument for and even empathise if you brought up the way he treated women or his relationship with some political leaders.
But drugs and cheating in a bloody game? Let the people mourn ffs.

Yeah it's common practice. It's called gallows humour. The more you respect someone the more you take the ****.

I wasn't talking about the jokes. I get that. I was asking about comments along the lines of "very flawed individual".
Any given day, sure, go all in, but a day after he was buried? What's the point?

What is the thought process behind such a comment?
How do your inner filters process the thoughts that end up concluding "yeah, this adds value to the conversation, let's do it"?
I'm sincerely curious.

Great player as others in his boots a dysfunctiony person RIP.

I wasn't talking about the jokes. I get that. I was asking about comments along the lines of "very flawed individual".
Any given day, sure, go all in, but a day after he was buried? What's the point?

What is the thought process behind such a comment?
How do your inner filters process the thoughts that end up concluding "yeah, this adds value to the conversation, let's do it"?
I'm sincerely curious.
He was flawed. Drug addict, connected to the Italian mafia banned after testing positive to drugs in the 94 world Cup. Whats your problem? Did you know him personally? Was he a family friend? No he was a footballer with a drug problem. Don't be so precious over someone you never actually knew

He was flawed.
Not the bloody point, but hey, your train of thought rarely leaves the station.
Funny how you conveniently failed to answer every single question i asked.

Don't be so precious over someone you never actually knew
I'm not, but nice strawman.
I am not defending him, Nothing of what you said is false as far as I know. What i am doing is attacking your argument. The difference might seem sutile but it ain't minor. Try to keep up.

Not the bloody point, but hey, your train of thought rarely leaves the station.
Funny how you conveniently failed to answer every single question i asked.

I'm not, but nice strawman.
I am not defending him, Nothing of what you said is false as far as I know. What i am doing is attacking your argument. The difference might seem sutile but it ain't minor. Try to keep up.
Oh dear, looking for people to fall out with? You're boring mate jog on

Like this guy getting crucified for taking a photo next to his open coffin? He's getting death threats over it.

Icons and celebrities, who die will always be judged by the living, maybe the timing issue is not palatable for all who that individual meant a lot to.

Oh dear, looking for people to fall out with? You're boring mate jog on
Dont be so precious.
You like to throw jabs at other people but you've also got quite the glass jaw when people reply in kind.