• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RIP Eddie Butler

Six Nations won't be the same without him, THE voice of NH international rugby

RIP

What a shame. Worse ways to go though. I wonder if he'd been overdoing it a bit in the Andes as that seems entirely out of the blue. I quite liked him as a commentator, he never once got up my nose the way he seemed to do with others.

Six Nations won't be the same without him, THE voice of NH international rugby

RIP
Along with Nigel Stamer Smith.
Bill Mclaren an iconic rugby voice.
With all not necessarily agreed with the views but great knowledge and always and interesting side note.
RIP.

That's a shocker! As above, didn't always agree with his opinions but along with Brian Moore he added to the enjoyment of watching international rugby.

Some very nice condolence messages on the BBC website.

Rest in peace Eddie. Blessings to your family.

I quite liked him as a commentator, he never once got up my nose the way he seemed to do with others.
He was fine but he did appear to enjoy winding up the English.

Honestly it's been sad not hearing him most matches since it went to ITV. Moving Moore to the sidelines was even worse. But genuinely am going to be quite tearful during Wales V England next year and not hear his voice. The BBC better have the game.

I didn't grow up with Bill McClaren it was Butler and Moore for as long as I can remember. Even if my memory is playing tricks on me.

RIP Eddie. I didn't always agree with him, but his voice was part of the fabric of the 6 Nations.

Same RIP. Sometimes I felt he was overdoing it, but definitely came to be the voice of the 6Ns

Every generation has its soundtrack. I started with McLaren and then we moved on. In other sports there were Walker, Coleman, Maskell, O'Sullevan etc all absolutely synonymous with their sports. Carpenter in boxing, Blowers and Johnners in cricket "For goodness sake Aggers, stop it" and corpsing in the infamous couldn't quite get his leg over episode, Motson in football, Davies in football and other sports "Where were the Germans? And frankly who cares". As for Murray Walker the commentators today are doubtless far more accurate, but Walker's character, enthusiasm and a whole raft of quotes remain engrained in the memory while others come and go.

Most of the commentators today are very competent in describing the action and they have, and use, shedloads more data. They don't generally though bring the sense of the theatre / poetry that adds to the occasion and you remember years on. Butler was probably a bit of an exception. As was Ian Robertson who's also of a previous generation now. "Back for Johnny Wilkinson who drops for World Cup glory….it's over, he's done it!".

We've just celebrated the 50th anniversary of 'that' try where the Cliff Morgan commentary is a big part of the legend. We may well see its like again, and in reality there have been plenty of tries that good, but we definitely won't hear its like again.

Guess it's all down to personal preference. Personally I prefer a bit of mad giraffe and props as cunning as a bag o' weasels to incessant stats, but time moves on. Butler, Robertson and McLaren were also blessed with rich speaking tones which made them almost more performer than message deliverer. It's not just what's said, but how it's said.

Just another missive from Fings ain't what they used to be HQ.

Latest posts