• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RIP Jonah Lomu the legend.

One of SCW favourite Lomu story

CUFFNCDWwAA2XGy

Yep, it's always sad to see some one pass on, when they still have so much to live for ... I feel for his family

Such sad news, he defined and inspired a generation. He made everyone want to be like him, even slow and clumsy fools like me. A ***an of our game.

We owe him much for the contributions he made to the great game. Jonah Lomu, a name that will reverberate around the rugby world for decades to come. Let us not forget his countless hours of charity work and time spent developing rugby at its lower levels. RIP

There's an after and before in the history of Rugby union, and all for this man. Rest in peace Jonah, thanks for all.

There's an after and before in the history of Rugby union, and all for this man. Rest in peace Jonah, thanks for all.

It certainly feels like Jonah Lomu brought rugby fully into the pro age and brought rugby fully on to the world stage. I thought he was looking pretty ropey the last time I saw him interviewed. It's a crying shame.

It crazy to think he was only half the player he could have been due to this illness. What a legend.

Last edited:
I don't know how others feel about this, but I've suggested a minute's silence at club games this weekend, but my own club seem a little lukewarm about it. I just feel his place in the game is so huge, so iconic, that he merits something like that. Thoughts?

RIP Jonah!.

I was born in 1990 so you can imagine how influential he was on people my age. I'm glad that I was only a child when he burst onto the scene because I feel like there was no one he influenced and motivated more than the children that were watching him. I remember watching the 95 Rugby World Cup games with my Mum and Uncle, and after those games I would go into the backyard and run around pretending to be Jonah, running back and forth from one side of the yard to the other stepping and fending off invisible South Africans and actually winning the World Cup in my head. When Jonah came to the Hurricanes and made that combination with Umaga and Cullen, no one was happier than I. And even when he started his mission to make the 2007 RWC Squad, even though form probably didn't warrant it, I felt like we owed it to select him regardless. Last year I had a conversation with one of my uncles and we spoke about the impact Lomu had on the game and how I felt the NZRU or IRB/World Rugby owed it to Lomu to make sure his family is cared for and that he never had to work again. He single handedly put Rugby on the map, and with all the money they're making nowadays, they should grant some to Lomu.

Anyway, I feel so much for his sons but also for him not being able to fulfil his wishes of seeing their 21st's or even being able to see them grow into fine young teens and being able to instil more into them than he has already. The way Jonah went, is just wrong. He should have been able to say goodbye, he should have been able to hold his sons and look at them one last time before he went. Absolutely tragic!.

Rest In Power Jonah Lomu

I don't know how others feel about this, but I've suggested a minute's silence at club games this weekend, but my own club seem a little lukewarm about it. I just feel his place in the game is so huge, so iconic, that he merits something like that. Thoughts?

Rugby players die all the time man. Hundreds die in bombings of states and terrorist groups with little or no recognition. No need to go over board. He was a legend but there have been many legends of the past that were too old to receive proper recognition, Jackie Kyle for example.

Jonah understood that he was always on borrowed time and was never going to make old bones, nonetheless, it is very sad news

From the documentary, the most poignant moment for me was his meeting with Joost van der Westuizen, himself suffering from Motor Neurone disease. Real "lump in the threat" stuff.

A very special photo

558993ddaf9bb83145000000.jpg

RIP Big Fella!

That picture has brought tears to my eyes, thankyou so much for sharing it, RIP big man and if there is a heaven have a beer up there with Jerry Collins on me.

Rugby players die all the time man. Hundreds die in bombings of states and terrorist groups with little or no recognition. No need to go over board. He was a legend but there have been many legends of the past that were too old to receive proper recognition, Jackie Kyle for example.

No disrespect to them, but you look after your own and Lomu was our own. Lomu's death isn't as big a tragedy as a great many things but it is a tragedy for rugby to have someone so iconic taken so young. I'm not sure I'd suggest it for a single England player alive if they were to die in their old age, not even St J of W, but Lomu, aye I think it's appropriate.

Latest posts