• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ritchie McCaw to sit out most of 2013 season

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. If the AB's selectors want him to be around at the next RWC (and given they he has signed till then you can assume they do), giving him a break from rugby to freshen up, both physically and mentally, is probably a good idea. You certainly wouldn't want to see them doing this with every player, but for Sir Ritchie I think you can make an exception!

I'm a Crusaders supporter and I'm all for it.

International rugby is more important than Super Rugby, end of!

Yep, from a Crusaders point of view, they are probably used to starting Matt Todd by now anyway ... I think Sam Cane needs some time in the ABs jersey before the next cup (assuming they stick with him), plus the All Blacks can blood a new captain ... so it's probably a good thing for all concerned

Well he has played an amazing lot of rugby lately, with only the foot injury keeping him quiet.
Will not affect the Crusaders that much anyway.

If we let Dan Carter spend a season in France, we have to allow this. There's no chance of McCaw getting injured when he isn't playing.

And this is why private investors aren't interested in buying NZ super rugby franchises

And this is why private investors aren't interested in buying NZ super rugby franchises

Good! I don't want to see private ownership of anything to do with rugby in NZ. Having that will be the first step on the slippery slope to the quagmire you have in Europe..... private franchise owners dictating when and where the All Blacks can have their players...

NO THANK YOU!!!

Think that is what you meant.........................

No, I meant what I originally wrote

If I had to choose between no more Super Rugby and no more International Rugby, I would choose the former.

Last edited:

The NZRU has said that they can't afford to keep paying for them though.

Man you talk some shite. NZRU don't want to sell the SR teams and all New Zealanders are happier for it. The NZRU never said they can't afford to pay players. They can't compete with some other nations massive prices (as Wales can't compete with France), but players still stay for the superior rugby and the chance to play for the best team. That is until they can no longer compete at this level, in which case they head up north for retirement.

Last edited:
You can only Cliche a cliche when southern hemisphere cliche a northern hemisphere cliche.

Same old thread.

Man you talk some shite. NZRU don't want to sell the SR teams and all New Zealanders are happier for it. The NZRU never said they can't afford to pay players. They can't compete with some other nations massive prices (as Wales can't compete with France), but players still stay for the superior rugby and the chance to play for the best team. That is until they can no longer compete at this level, in which case they head up north for retirement.

Well that's a bit rude.

NZRU want to sell Super Rugby licences

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7347053,00.html

:moon5zx:

I can't find the link but Tew also said in another article something along the lines of they can't continue to run the way it is, that's why they need the investment. Maybe not that they can't afford it, but for the long term sustainability they need extra capital.

Last edited:
Well that's a bit rude.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7347053,00.html

:moon5zx:

I can't find the link but Tew also said in another article something along the lines of they can't continue to run the way it is, that's why they need the investment. Maybe not that they can't afford it, but for the long term sustainability they need extra capital.

Well, as it turns out, you are both right - the NZRU are looking to sell the Licence, not the Franchise.

This article may clarify the difference http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=33029

I have extracted the relevant parts, if you don't want to read the whole article.

Licensees would have the right to own and manage each team, selecting its players and promoting the team brand and its matches.
The successful Licensee will have the right to manage, operate, select and promote the team/brand and the matches played by that team. Under the Licensee proposal, the NZRU will continue to own the brands and be responsible for contracting players and coaches.

Which means, in McCaw like situations, the NZRU still calls the shots.

I have also read, but can't find the link, that these licences will be New Zealand owned, but may have overseas financial backing - I believe that the Taranaki Rugby Union has a bid in for the Chiefs franchise, that may or may not have the backing of a Russian Millionaire (I'll try and find the link) ... also, the franchises licence agreements are likely to be for three years, with a favourable renewal clause ... I'll look for the link for this also :)

back on point...

Good on him, he's done his bit and this will give Cane a good run of games and i assume Read a run as captain, good for everyone

I think it's a great idea. I think I suggested they do that in one of my posts here a year or so ago.

If he' serious about going through to the 2015 WC then he needs a year off super rugby, even a reduced workload in 2014 as well IMO, so he can hit the ground running and fully fit in 2015 and have a full season.

The trick will be that he still will want to play test rugby, managing him so he's still ok to come into the AB's for the rugby Championship? Will a fitness program, some club rugby and maybe an ITM cup game be enough for him to walk back into the AB's?

He's already the greatest player in the history of the game, anything from here is a bonus and there is really nothing left for him to achieve below test level.

Last edited:
Good idea for him.

Although if I were Richie, I'd do some MMA training as well. Not to help his rubgy, but for the shite and BS he has to endure during a rugby match.

Choke some m'fers out!

Latest posts