• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RLWC coming to England 2013

S

St Helens RLFC

UK to host Rugby League World Cup

The 2013 Rugby League World Cup will be held in the United Kingdom.

The decision was made at a meeting of the Rugby League International Federation in Singapore to discuss the future of the international calendar.

Australia had also submitted a bid to stage the event again after the success of the 2008 tournament.

But it will return to the UK, which last hosted it in 2000, and be delayed by a year to avoid a clash with the 2012 Olympics in London.

New Zealand ended Australia's long stranglehold on the trophy with a surprise 34-20 victory in the final of the 2008 tournament.

Richard Lewis, the deputy chairman of the RLIF and executive chairman of the Rugby Football League, said: "It is a great boost for rugby league in the northern hemisphere to secure the World Cup in 2013.

"I thought that the 2008 tournament was an outstanding success and our goal is to build on that success and to deliver a profitable tournament that further enhances the international prestige of rugby league."

Although the RFL says the matches will be focussed around the game's heartland areas in the north of England, it is speaking to various agencies about the possibility of staging games in London, Wales and Scotland.

England coach Tony Smith is confident hosting the World Cup will give the sport a major boost in Britain.

"It's fantastic. It's going to give us great exposure nationally and worldwide. That's what we need," he said.

"When we introduce new faces to our game they usually stay, and it's just a case of getting more exposure and gradually bringing more people in.

"It's going to help in terms of attendances and producing young players.

"It also gives us the advantage that hosts get - it's going to be on our turf, our grounds and with our weather. All of those things give the national team the incentive they need."

The 2000 World Cup was hampered by bad weather and proved a financial disaster, leaving the RFL in debt.

But last autumn's event in Australia was a success, attracting combined crowds of 290,000 and a global television audience of 19.2m, making it the most widely broadcast event in the game's history.

The RLIF also agreed that in future, there will be no Four Nations tournament staged in the year prior to a World Cup with the top nations having the option to arrange individual Test series.

The 2009 and 2011 Four Nations will be staged in England with both Australia and New Zealand hosting it in 2010 and Australia the next hosts after the World Cup in 2014.

The event would be an integral part of the so-called "golden decade" of sport in the UK, along with the 2012 Olympics in London, the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, the 2015 rugby union World Cup and also the 2018 football World Cup, which the Football Association is hopeful of bringing to English soil.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8172440.stm

Just to seal a great day for English rugby, we get the world cup as well as the union boys. Brilliant news. It will need better organisation than last time, but the RFL as a business and indeed the sport as a whole has evolved since then, I am confident we'll have a great tournament.

Awesome! Too bad we'll all be old men when it finally happens in 2013, but good news all the same.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jul 29 2009, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Awesome! Too bad we'll all be old men when it finally happens in 2013, but good news all the same.[/b]

I won't :p
Really is gonna be a big decade for sport in Britain, I mean there's all the vents that St.Helens RLFC mentioned, and there's the Ryder Cup in Newport in 2010, and up in Scotland in 2014.

Any chance they will put a couple of games in Cardiff, seeing as the Millenium Magic Super League weekends were always a success? Would be worth it if you ask me, I'd definately go to a game in Cardiff if I could get a hand on some tickets.

It isn't like Australia was going to host it again so only one real choice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Jul 29 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It isn't like Australia was going to host it again so only one real choice.[/b]

Indeed, they didn't need to delay the anouncement due to late negotiation. By the way I find strange that this anouncement is made the same day as IRB's regarding Union WC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jul 29 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Jul 29 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isn't like Australia was going to host it again so only one real choice.[/b]

Indeed, they didn't need to delay the anouncement due to late negotiation. By the way I find strange that this anouncement is made the same day as IRB's regarding Union WC.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah! Naturally, the Rugby World Cup is a lot bigger so this was always going to be overshadowed.

They also best hope this doesn't clash with the Lions tour, otherwise there'll be f-all coverage available through Murdoch - The terrestrial networks won't be interested.

We actually made this announcement 3 hours before the RUWC - we just did it via a press release from Singapore, which is stupidity in my book but there you go.

Mite, it will be played at the end of the season, so October time.

Well that's dumb - Holding it in the middle of the soccer season when they'll need the stadia. I can see a lot of falling out on the horizon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 29 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well that's dumb - Holding it in the middle of the soccer season when they'll need the stadia. I can see a lot of falling out on the horizon.[/b]

Not too sure about that one mate. We hold it in our off season because the RFL don't want a negative impact on crowds or match quality when players are off on internatonal duty. RL fans are fickle, the average Joe Soap would swerve a match off if the best players were missing.

With regards to stadia, we'll only really need Old Trafford for the final or possibly Wembley or maybe even the Olympic Stadium. Not so sure. This is another thing that annoyed me - the RFU gave stadiums, venues, things to be excited about... the RFL didn't. By the time this comes around Saints will have their new ground and if you believe them, Salford, Wakefield and Cas will have their new stadiums too. So, there's only really the JJB and the KC Stadium in Hull with question marks over them. I can see the JJB being dropped from the list of international RL stadia by then as well. I expect we'll take a few games on tour if Ireland and Scotland qualify, same with Wales and the French will love hosting their own games.

We should have a good selection of quality stadia.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 29 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well that's dumb - Holding it in the middle of the soccer season when they'll need the stadia. I can see a lot of falling out on the horizon.[/b]

RUWC will be played in September/October, the RFU has already worked out the availability of the stadiums 6 years ahead.

And the assembled crowds at St Helens awaiting the decision go wild when England is announced!!! Lets go to a live feed now!

spanga_aug_2008_16.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jul 30 2009, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 29 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RUWC will be played in September/October, the RFU has already worked out the availability of the stadiums 6 years ahead.
[/b][/quote]

The RFU have nothing to do with the RLWC.

Sorry, the camera was point the wrong way..here we go..AND THE CROWDS ARE WILD AT ENGLAND BEING CHOSEN FOR HOSTING THE RLWC 2013!

chavs3.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 30 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jul 30 2009, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 29 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

The RFU have nothing to do with the RLWC.
[/b][/quote]

Of course I know, my point was that football stadia can be made available it is a question of negotiation.

Latest posts