Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
Venue: Craven Park, Hull
Time: 4pm
TV: Premier Sports

Looking forward to this, PNG played very well in the last tournament and they'll be looking to make a good start to this campaign as they take on France.

PNG head coach Adrian Lam has named his 19 man squad to play France at MS3 Craven Park on Sunday (16:00).

PNG Squad

Josiah Abavu
Paul Aiton
Dion Aiye
Wellington Albert
Ase Boas
Jason Chan
Neville Costigan (C)
Isreal Eliab
Richard Kambo
Enoch Maki
Larsen Marabe
Bosam Nene McDonald
David Mead
Mark Mexico
Jessie Joe Nandye
Jason Tali
Ray Thompson
Charlie Wabo
Menzie Yere

Last edited:
Try PNG, awesome work boys!!! (Macdonald)

Last edited:
Very close and physical affair, France hanging on at 9-8 on a Barthau droppie.

Edit Meade for PNG misses a gimme penalty that would have put them up 10-9, a bit of justice for no yellow on a egregious high tackle moments earlier.

Last edited:
French won the game, PNG missed all conversions and a last minute penalty. 8-9 Not the best game of the weekend.
Now Toa Samoa vs NZ hell Yeah!!!!

Watching it in background of Bills game, wasn't a spectacle but at least it was tense and a lot of drama. So far all three games have been very worth watching.

PNG are known for lacking the more technical parts of the game, that was really exposed today. They remind me of the PI teams in Union a decade ago, heart, energy and passion can only get you so far in a comp of this level. There will be a lot of gutted fans in PNG today though and so I feel bad for Mead.

Edit: @ travel4football, think the Kickers in NO vs. BUF have been inspired by Mead LOL three missed FG's in a dome LOL.

Yeah, I noticed that. Garrett Hartley is on my fantasy football team. I do think NFL kickers have a tougher job. They have to deal with a rush and about only 1 sec allowance (if you can call that). There is rarely a rush against the kickers in Rugby (Union or League).

Urgh, what a bruising game that was. I feel for PNG because there's a lot of wind kicking about the UK at the moment and I have no doubt that had an impact upon the kicker but as above, it was a gimme. It isn't going to win the game of the tournament but games that go down to the wire like that are always incredibly tense spectacles.

Absolutely fantastic opening weekend, all four games compelling and worth watching.

PNG are known for lacking the more technical parts of the game, that was really exposed today. They remind me of the PI teams in Union a decade ago, heart, energy and passion can only get you so far in a comp of this level. There will be a lot of gutted fans in PNG today though and so I feel bad for Mead.

Edit: @ travel4football, think the Kickers in NO vs. BUF have been inspired by Mead LOL three missed FG's in a dome LOL.

PNG have a ton of passion for the game thats for sure. When you consider how many of their players are home grown amateur talent its impressive how well they do. They do really need to improve structure thats for sure. I think they have a team joining the Queensland cup which will help with development. They also have Big Mal and he knows his stuff.

To be fair PNG had the best of that game, they most definitely should have won. Frances defence was pretty good but PNG didn't really have great last play option taking.
After France got that field goal I thought PNG played really poorly. They need to do the small stuff right before they start throwing the ball around.

France had basically zero attack which was dissapointing, they did have a good goal kicker and that field goal was a good one and that was enough for the victory.

At the moment I see the France vs Samoa game as intriguing. What the French lack in attack will most definitely be enhanced by Samoa's poor defence. Samoa's attack is electric and will be met by a decent French defence.

I think Samoa's go forward will be the difference, their big boys are just too hard to stop. The French get a home crowd which may play to their advantage. Could be an epic game, I hope so anyway.

All four games have been competitive so far which is great for the cup.

Last edited:
I have to agree PNG has the brute force where france has the technique. Altho it was a very physical game I still don't understand why France didn't opt for the more tactical kicking game, more drop goal attempts?

I have to agree PNG has the brute force where france has the technique. Altho it was a very physical game I still don't understand why France didn't opt for the more tactical kicking game, more drop goal attempts?

You would have to kick 6 field goals to equal 1 converted try, I don't think its worth it to be honest.

Weird to see Greenshields back out there - forgot he'd un-retired and moved back to France.

Decent, if slightly lucky, win for Catalans 2nd XIII :)p)

Latest posts