RLWC Game 5 - Fiji vs. Ireland

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
RLWC Game 5 - Fiji vs. Ireland

Venue: Spotland Stadium, Rochdale

Kickoff. 8 p.m.

Pick a backline for Fiji? Even the props are former wingers lol. Pity you need other positions apart from wing.

I think Fiji have the pack to make the yards led by the warhorse Petero, and the hungry Sims brothers who have a similar ability to the Burgesses if you ask me. Tariq Sims could be the next Gordan Tallis he's a monster. I have know doubt he will be wearing sky blue next year (barring another ill timed injury). Bukuya was being tipped for Queensland honors last year he was playing so good.

This team would have to have the best 4x100m relay team in both codes. Uate, Kev Naqiama, Waqa and Koroibete.

Huge game for both teams. The winner is probably going to get out of the group, the loser needs to beat England or Australia to advance.

Never realized how much Fijians there are in Rochdale. Can't beat good support for the first match, especially so far from home.

I believe this has the potential to be a really good game, think both Ireland and Fiji are fairly well matched in terms of talent. I would like to think that Ireland could take this one but the Fijian talent pool is pretty solid and I can see that making a difference.

Enjoy it guys, will skip this as I need to finish some worK. Should be a huge game.

Pretty good football by sides. Have to say Fiji are looking powerful in every regard, crunching tackles and getting good yards after contact. Irish kicking game I think could be the difference maker, Pat Richards looking sharp in that regard.

Casually watching this while doing a bit of work. We're really just hanging in there at the moment, Fijians physically very impressive. Whether they can sustain it remains to be seen however.

That should do it, good score by the Fijians who are now up 22-4. Too big, too strong for the Irish to handle though to be fair the boys in green have been game and are working their buns off in defence. Looks like a solid turnout in Rochdale, I didn't catch the 1st half did they announce attendance? .......Another possible try for Fiji as I was typing off to the TMO though.

Edit: Attendance was 8,872 another sellout.....Fiji running rampant midway through the 2nd half, the Irish looked out on their feet had to put in a lot of tackles today and had been hit hard themselves while in attack, good consolation scores from Ireland near the death probably taking the scoreline to a fairer reflection of the performances on the day. Fiji 32-14 Ireland.

Last edited:
Fiji far too strong in this one, Irish looked good in parts but just couldn't break any tackles or slow the Fijian's down. Like the look of Fiji going forward, think they could be a surprise package of the tournament.

Fiji could be a real threat to the major nations if they can keep their discipline in check and improve the conversion rates on their kicks.

A fired up Fiji on a hard dry pitch would be hell for England. They don't have the class in the halves to match Aussie though.

Uate is a beast, I always believed it was poor team tactics that put Uate out in Origin. Its not his fault he was always matching up on Inglis when he should have been on the wing. Thats what his coach required of him.

Tariq Sims looks and plays like Tarzan. His brothers are pretty decent too. The legend Petero had a decent knock too.

Last edited:
Just watched the highlights and thenFijians really over classed the Irish.

Yeah I had a feeling this was gonna be a good team when I saw players like Uate, Koroibete and Civoniceva in it. Imagine if they had Jared Hayne as play maker they'd be lethal, he was nearly in the team too then was a surprise selection for Australia. The Sims brothers were warriors, though they lost their heads some times starting fights. Fiji got penalized a lot, hopefully they'll work on that.

The media coverage for this has been nearly non-existent at home. In RTEs main sports radio bulletin, it was buried in a one line report after a 5 minute discussion on Rugby Union. It's a shame that RLI haven't done a better job plugging the RLWC in Ireland to help get the sport noticed.

Koroibete is the man, I was hoping to see more of him.

Uates try where he only ran 6 metres and barged/manouvered himself over almost a dozen defenders, symbolises Fijis passion to play any sort of a Rugby for their country. That's why they're so aggressive to the point where they get into push and shoves.

Fantastic to see Petero out there for Fiji.

Ireland was disappointing as I was expecting more from them. I hope they can quickly turn their tournament around.

The media coverage for this has been nearly non-existent at home. In RTEs main sports radio bulletin, it was buried in a one line report after a 5 minute discussion on Rugby Union. It's a shame that RLI haven't done a better job plugging the RLWC in Ireland to help get the sport noticed.

From what I hear about the RLI they are almost totally defunct now and the Irish league is as good as finished. Very sad.

Latest posts