Rob Baxter puts Exeter Chiefs on upward path

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Exeter Chiefs head coach Rob Baxter has said "continual improvement" is the aim for his side as they start preparing for life as a Premiership outfit.
The Chiefs, who beat Bristol in the Championship play-off final to win promotion, will play Gloucester and Leicester in their opening two games.
Baxter said: "We've worked hard to get into this competition and now that we're here we're going to enjoy it.
"The last year has been about continual improvement and we've got to push on."
<!-- E SF -->He added: "We reached some good levels of performance at the end of last season.
"That's got to become a base for us and we've got to be pushing forward."
The Chiefs head coach is also eager to make sure that his players do not feel overawed by the illustrious names they will come face to face with in the top flight.
He said: "There's no point working hard to get a place in the Premiership and then once you get there feeling daunted by the prospect.
"I don't think we could have asked for better fixtures to start the season for us.
"Gloucester at home and Leicester away are big fixtures against quality sides, and we probably needed that.
"As soon as you see fixtures like that you know that's a lot of hard work to be done."
With pre-season training now underway at Sandy Park, Baxter said fitness will be the main focus over the next couple of weeks.
"The shape the guys have turned up in is a great credit to them and that will probably allow us to push things on even a bit quicker so all in all it's been a great start to our pre-season.
"We've got about eight weeks of training time to get ready for the Premiership season which I think will be fine."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/exeter/8782952.stm

He's probably hoping that his side are able to do what Leeds Carnegie did last season and stay up. Good luck Chiefs!

Latest posts