• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rob Kearney

King_D'Arcy

First XV
Country Flag
Nauru
Lately I've become quite interested in the career of Rob Kearney. The man was once considered the best fullback on PLANET EARTH! In 2008 he was a beacon of hope in an otherwise desperate Irish team. In 2009 he helped Ireland win the grand slam and Leinster win the Heineken Cup (although he didn't play in the final or semi-final because of glandular fever). He was one of the first names on the team sheet for Ireland and Leinster. He became famed for his inability to drop a high ball or lose a 50-50. He made a habit of exposing the Spring Boks for their tactical weaknesses...
Since early 2010 Kearney's skill sets seem to be in decline. His famously steady hands have become unreliable. He's been lacking in any attacking flair and his defense and decision making has been awful at times. He was dropped for Gerodan Murphy in the 6 nations because of his poor performances. At 1st it seemed like this was just poor form but after a year one has to assume that Kearney has just sort of lost it... With Leinster playing the best rugby we've seen them play since 2009 while Kearney's been injured it seems SuperJesus Rob Kearney just doesn't really fit into the strongest team anymore.
What does the future hold for Kearney? Can he fight his way back into the Leinster XV? Do you think he has an international career in the near future?

Rob needs to rethink his whole game. I remember when he came through, was far more nimble and a better runner in those days. He then bulked up and really focused on his aerial game. Since the retraction of the ELV's that skill set isn't as valuable to a FB. I think that also coincided with a patch of particularly bad form on Rob's part, leading to a loss of confidence.

There's no doubt in my mind that he can still be a top operator, but there are tough times ahead for SuperJesusKearney.

I agree. Kearney needs to go back to the drawing board and rethink his style. IMO he has shown at the age of 24 he has skills that were very advanced but he needs to build again. I think he still has time to rebuild and a some magners league games could bring him back up to speed. I also have to admit with at Leinster before the Autumn Internationals he was playing well. I thought he was very good against sarries at wembley. I think Joe Schmidt is the guy that could really find his old skills.

Aye, true that. There's no better man to turn him around than Joe Schmidt. Just look at how much the likes of Shaggy, Fergus and even Drico have come on this year.

Agreed! Schmidt has gotten the most out of a lot of his players; O'Brien, Sexton and Ryan stick out in my mind. It's also great that players like O'Malley and McFadden are seeing plenty of game time under Schmidt cause I would consider both of them to be 2 big players for the future.
But that would be another reason i would worry for Kearney. Under Schmidt a lot of other back line players have shown their capabilities. Leinster are a team with real attacking flair and I just don't think Kearney fits into that style of play. Schmidt isn't going to change his game plan to suit Kearney.
Kearney is capable of scoring tries and causing trouble for the opposition defense. We've seen it before. He needs to find his feet again. But at the moment Nacewa is perfect for how Leinster are playing.

Just a point but it seems like Kearney is a bit of ladies man and if you watch the lions tour DVD he seems to be all about getting girls numbers etc. I know he has a girlfriend but I don't know what his social life is like but in lions tour DVD it came across as one all about the night. Although I doubt could this have affected his rugby?

My worry is that he won't see enough game time before the world cup to find his feet.

I still think he has a place at Leinster. Let's face it; Shaggy, Drico and D'arce aren't getting younger. These guys have been the cornerstone of Leinster and Ireland squads for the past decade. While it's all well and good saying the likes of Fergus and O'Malley can step up and replace them, I want as many experienced heads around when the changeover eventually happens. Rob is a capped Lion and a grandslam winner. We'll need him sooner or later.

Yeah Kearney and Bowe seemed to be well up for their bit in that DVD. Does Kearney have a gf?

Yeah you make a fair point Feic. I would also add that Nacewa is likely enough to move club in the next season or 2. That may be overly speculative but you rarely see non-Irish players stay til retirement, unless they've come to the club as a last hurrah before retirement (see Munster RFC). We do have experienced young players throughout the team though to take over leadership roles; Healy, Toner (sorta), Heaslip, Sexton and Fitzgerald. I see lads like Sexton and Heaslip as prescriptive leaders for Leinster's emerging next generation. Kearney would be a great addition to have in as well.

I literally just looked her up. She's hot enough. There's a few photos of her online that are slightly blue in nature... Fair play to Rob

Yeah Kearney and Bowe seemed to be well up for their bit in that DVD. Does Kearney have a gf?

Yeah you make a fair point Feic. I would also add that Nacewa is likely enough to move club in the next season or 2. That may be overly speculative but you rarely see non-Irish players stay til retirement, unless they've come to the club as a last hurrah before retirement (see Munster RFC). We do have experienced young players throughout the team though to take over leadership roles; Healy, Toner (sorta), Heaslip, Sexton and Fitzgerald. I see lads like Sexton and Heaslip as prescriptive leaders for Leinster's emerging next generation. Kearney would be a great addition to have in as well.

Yeah, I have a lot of time for Sexton as a leader. He just goes about his business very well. If Heaslip stays after the WC, which I think he won't, he'll be a helluva man to have round. Seanie and Strauss are two guys I'm looking at to lead the team for the foreseeable future too.

Yeah, I remember the Lions video. Sleazy git. He didn't earn the nickname Robnoxious for nothing ya know. Still, he's a rugby force on his day.

I think he said in an interview he wants to play elsewhere at some point in his career,
Straight after the WC is best time to do it, as he can go for a year or two, and still have time to come back and make his way back into the squad for the next WC

He's talked quite a bit in the past about how he wants to see the world and has ambitions of playing Super 14. Can't blame him really, wanting to go and play in the best league in the world. Better that than going to France for the quick buck.

He did say during the week that he wants to stay at Leinster, but I could see him going in about two years or something.

If anyone follows him on twitter, he's just that English bulldog,
Can't see him taking him to Australia/NZ/SA, maybe he'll stick around Ireland for the foreseeable future

From a Leinster perspective Heaslip moving clubs would be a bit of a nightmare in the short run. It could pay off dividends in the long run though for Leinster and Ireland. That would probably mean we'd be looking at a Leinster back row like this:
6. Ruddock
7. Ryan
8. O'Brien

3 seriously talented young players. If Ruddock and Ryan become the regular starters in Leinster's backrow at the age of 21 they could become world class in a few years

We've coped very well without him in the last two games...

That said, I wouldn't like to face Leicester without Jamie. Ryan and Ruddock are fine, but players always look better than they are when they're playing in a winning team. Let's see how they front up during the bad times.

why super 14 still best league in d world but is losing all its players

I really don't understand that comment. What league would you put ahead of it? The money isn't on a par with the Top14, but the style and quality of rugby is far superior.

Lately I've become quite interested in the career of Rob Kearney. The man was once considered the best fullback on PLANET EARTH! In 2008 he was a beacon of hope in an otherwise desperate Irish team. In 2009 he helped Ireland win the grand slam and Leinster win the Heineken Cup (although he didn't play in the final or semi-final because of glandular fever). He was one of the first names on the team sheet for Ireland and Leinster. He became famed for his inability to drop a high ball or lose a 50-50. He made a habit of exposing the Spring Boks for their tactical weaknesses...
Since early 2010 Kearney's skill sets seem to be in decline. His famously steady hands have become unreliable. He's been lacking in any attacking flair and his defense and decision making has been awful at times. He was dropped for Gerodan Murphy in the 6 nations because of his poor performances. At 1st it seemed like this was just poor form but after a year one has to assume that Kearney has just sort of lost it... With Leinster playing the best rugby we've seen them play since 2009 while Kearney's been injured it seems SuperJesus Rob Kearney just doesn't really fit into the strongest team anymore.
What does the future hold for Kearney? Can he fight his way back into the Leinster XV? Do you think he has an international career in the near future?

I have always been interested in his career. He's a very good player. He doesn't seem to care that much about attracting attention; a true rugby player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts